OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Rubyvixen

I want to use this but it fails to detect my Avermedia Live Gamer Portable via Stream Engine. Is this an issue with this particular build because the official build detects stream engine without fail.

Saturn2888

Yeah, try FLV format instead. As for the 1080p limitation it is a hardware limitation mostly. the r9 285 and soon-to-come 300 series will have a higher limit.

Darn. Looks like I know my next upgrade path. Thanks for pointing that out! It was a lot of headache on my part trying to figure this all out.

Saturn2888

What I did is use Medium and downscaled to 1280x720. I could do Very Fast on 1920x1080. And then this will be different for your card. I have an R9 280X.

djdynamite123

Here are my settings, do these appear correct? Using a R9 290X, I7 4770k, 16gb 2133MHz ram.

It's the VCE settings that I need confirmation over, thanks.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    902.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 2.png
    2.png
    634.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.png
    3.png
    689.8 KB · Views: 187

Bensam123

If I wanted to use VCE for lan encoding, what is the maximum resolution, refresh, and bitrate? Would I be better off using Quicksync instead of VCE?

Does anyone have any experience with this setup and VCE? Also does VCE cause any sort of compatibility issues with games or streaming?

dping

If I wanted to use VCE for lan encoding, what is the maximum resolution, refresh, and bitrate? Would I be better off using Quicksync instead of VCE?

Does anyone have any experience with this setup and VCE? Also does VCE cause any sort of compatibility issues with games or streaming?
I used VCE streaming to a NGINX server and it worked well. Use this chart for reference of max bitrate to be used:

Code:
// Max value depends on resolution and frame rate:
// - 10 MBits/sec for 720p and frame rate less than or equal to 30 FPS
// - 20 MBits/sec for 720p and frame rate less than or equal to 60 FPS
// - 20 MBits/sec for 1080p and frame rate less than or equal to 30 FPS
// - 50 MBits/sec for 1080p and frame rate less than or equal to 60 FPS

Dejw

Hello :) I want to stream by using AMD VCE encoding and my specs are i5 4690k and radeon R9 290. The resolution that i stream in its 720p 60fps. The video seems to have pixels. I tried to set quality preset but game capture freezes when i do that. Any clues what can i do to get better quality of a video ?

dping

Hello :) I want to stream by using AMD VCE encoding and my specs are i5 4690k and radeon R9 290. The resolution that i stream in its 720p 60fps. The video seems to have pixels. I tried to set quality preset but game capture freezes when i do that. Any clues what can i do to get better quality of a video ?
can you take a screenshot of your "VCE encoding" tab?

dping

those settings are exactly what they should be. streaming at 3500 bitrate is Ideally the lowest and the highest because thats twitch's highest recommended bitrate.

h264 hardware encoders like VCE, NVENC and quicksync will have less quality even on the quality preset than x264. roughly 300-500 bitrate increase for equivalent stream quality when using hardware encoders, but as you can see, this would be above twitch's max so there is the dilemma. 4000 bitrate would be equivalent to 720@60 3500 bitrate. but your viewers and twitch might have else to say when you go this high...

Dejw

yeah usally when i go for 3500 bit rate my viewers have constant buffering problem ;/ is i5 4690k capable to stream with x264 720p 60 ?

dping

yeah usally when i go for 3500 bit rate my viewers have constant buffering problem ;/ is i5 4690k capable to stream with x264 720p 60 ?
Barely, but that all depends on the game. you would be best to try 720@48fps 3000bitrate

jagfreeze

Downloaded the latest build. When I try to create a video capture source for my capture card it won't detect it. For device it just detects "screen-capture-recorder". What am I doing wrong? On the official build of OBS it gets detected just fine.

dping

Downloaded the latest build. When I try to create a video capture source for my capture card it won't detect it. For device it just detects "screen-capture-recorder". What am I doing wrong? On the official build of OBS it gets detected just fine.
make sure you are using 32bit of this build. Alot of capture drivers are only written for 32bit.

ZombieWizzard

Is there anyway I can make OBS studio use amd vce when in custom output recording mode, I tried setting the encoder to amdvce, amd-vce, vceamf, vce-amf, vce amf and vce but they all make it unable to record. I want to be able to output directly to an mp4 and be able to name the files to save me time later but if this is not possible don't worry about it

dping

Is there anyway I can make OBS studio use amd vce when in custom output recording mode, I tried setting the encoder to amdvce, amd-vce, vceamf, vce-amf, vce amf and vce but they all make it unable to record. I want to be able to output directly to an mp4 and be able to name the files to save me time later but if this is not possible don't worry about it
So with the standard recording does it not work either? I've done a few local recording tests but it was with the default format.

ZombieWizzard

So with the standard recording does it not work either? I've done a few local recording tests but it was with the default format.
The standard mode works fine but I want to be able to name files and have the container as mp4 beforehand so I can keep track of recordings more easily and to also save me from having to remux (which for me takes a while as a lot of my clips are 1hr+) the clip afterwards to use in Sony Vegas. It needs to be using VCE AMF because the default x264 encoding lags me out tonnes whereas VCE AMF allows me to record 1080p 60fps no problem

Last edited: