OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Boildown

What the?!?? My R9 270 has VCE 1.0 whereas an R7 260 has VCE 2.0?? D:<
Yeah that's a downside of AMD's rebadging of old GPUs as "new" products.

I don't see the R7 250X listed at all. As a $100 card it could replace my current recommendation of the GTX 750 as a low-end GPU for OBS with its NVEnc capabilities. That said the R7 260X would be at least on parity with it once Jackun's VCE encoder is up and running.

Jarod

The 7750 can still be had for $100, and fits a tight power envelope. But the last of those end-of-life cards are vanishing quickly. The best choice will probably continue to be the GTX 750. The 260(X) is comparable in price and ability, but only if PSU capacity is available.

Note that when it eventually comes to streaming, the difference between VCE 1 and VCE 2 is trivial. VCE2 has b-frame support, but it seems the streaming services don't want b-frames in their GOP structure anyhow.

Btw, thanks a lot jackun for getting this rolling.

vbdkv

Yeah that's a downside of AMD's rebadging of old GPUs as "new" products.

I don't see the R7 250X listed at all. As a $100 card it could replace my current recommendation of the GTX 750 as a low-end GPU for OBS with its NVEnc capabilities. That said the R7 260X would be at least on parity with it once Jackun's VCE encoder is up and running.
Nvidia is doing it as well FYI. It's quite common actually.

Boildown

Nvidia is doing it as well FYI. It's quite common actually.

Kind of true, but at least Nvidia increases clockspeeds when making new models instead of taking the exact same everything, putting a different cooler on it, and calling it a new model. AMD was particularly shameless about it.

And yeah I missed the listing for the 250X.

B-frames are perfectly viable in the GOP structure of any streaming service I'm aware of. Granted I think YouTube wants you to stick to 2 or less, but they're an oddball in many ways (they want a GOP of half the framerate). Twitch and everything like Twitch doesn't care at all 0-16, as they just forward out what you send them.

It would be interesting to measure the differences between VCE 1 and VCE 2. On the Nvidia side, the Maxwell GPU's NVEnc is greatly improved, it has no problem using the best quality preset on the GTX750 at 1080p60, whereas on every Kepler GPU, even the mighty Titan and 780Ti, you have to step down to a lower quality preset at 1080p60. Point being that even if the increased features in VCE2 aren't that much, it might be able to do those features at a higher speed, giving VCE2 a significant advantage. But that's all speculation until someone measures it.

Definitely the 260/260X look very intriguing.

That would indeed be interesting, i would gladly like to see improved performance in the encoder so you could force higher quality at 1080p, which would mean that you could run higher resolution, but at faster presets.

Bensam123

Egads, this pops out a week after I bought a capture card after all these years. Keep up the good work jackun. I may end up going back to a single computer configuration depending on how good this turns out. ^^

Please consider adding better OpenCL acceleration to the basic client as well if you're good at that sort of thing. OpenCL is sort of supported through x264, but it causes crashes and other issues (using the switch opencl=true in the advanced options).

FYI AMD has increased clock speeds with the new 'generation' too. Both did the same exact thing this time around.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Please consider adding better OpenCL acceleration to the basic client as well if you're good at that sort of thing. OpenCL is sort of supported through x264, but it causes crashes and other issues (using the switch opencl=true in the advanced options).
You are aware that opencl support is a part of the x264 encoder and that the OBS devs did not add or code it at all? So you better tell this the x264 devs on their forum :)

@jackun, the 64bit version ran pretty stable so far, also 1080p60fps seems to be working fine now. Do you want some more logs or should we test something specific atm?

PoznanskaPyra

[Quote = "jackun, po: 78784, członek: 17219"]. Próbuje dowiedzieć się, Media SDK, ale wywala głęboko w AMDh264Enc, westchnienie [/ quote]

New version doesn't work on YouTube

Last edited:

Bensam123

You are aware that opencl support is a part of the x264 encoder and that the OBS devs did not add or code it at all? So you better tell this the x264 devs on their forum :)

Not sure what that has to do with anything. You're talking about the x264 implementation. I was asking if he'd consider making his own implementation.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
His own implementation of... what? You must have something backwards here. OpenCL support has to be implemented in the encoder itself, and VCE is a hardware encoder on the video card, it's not something you can just add things to.

Bensam123

Putting aside that's what he already did a couple pages back (page 5), I was talking about his own OCL implementation to x264... Different from the existing implementation, which is buggy, doesn't help much, and crashes a lot. OCL acceleration has already been talked about a few different times, here and on the x264 doom9 forums, but no one with expertise has been around to take a look at it, so we've only seen a partial implementation with look ahead and that doesn't work half the time.

jackun

Developer
Whatever - my OBS crashes when I start a stream after I stopped it, so when I need to restart the stream I need to close OBS and run it again :/

Right, it hangs in RTMPPublisher::FlushBufferedPackets() loop waiting to send the last packet.

E:But maybe queue is not cleared :P
do { ... } while ( 77464088 < 77254438); //loops forever and ever, wut

Putting aside that's what he already did a couple pages back (page 5), I was talking about his own OCL implementation to x264...

Heh, I only to colorspace conversion here. Doing an entire encoder is too advanced for me :D
But VCE should be able to do just entropy encoding.

Last edited:

seronx

Apparently, VCE and VCE 2.0 will support h265/x265 in Hybrid Mode. I know its not relevant but you got some upcoming future work to do.

I am very glad that VCE for OBS is happening.

Last edited: