OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

KaziQ

1080p @ 60Hz speed preset. Your threaded release was fine but DX11 can't cope with the task I think. I can't remember the details of other stuff because I tried numerous different scenarios.

KaziQ

xXFIREWINGXx

i have the same thing im trying to stream minecraft and its not as smooth as my game spec:Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

KaziQ

Here is some stats that I believe will be very handy,

With the 23/11 release if I set AMD AMF settings to speed and engine type to host then I don't have issues recording at 90 FPS. When set to DX 11, it crashes after pressing the stop recording button. When set to DX 9 it crashes again. Now I think I do understand why there is so much stutter in the games when recording at high FPS. The GPU usage jumps to 45%(engine type host) just on desktop when recording @90 FPS. When used DX9 even though it crashes when I press the stop button, as long as it's recording the GPU usage fluctuates around 77%. I see a lot lower GPU usage when DO NOT USE D3D10 interoperability is checked. I would guess that this option will cease to exist in full release since it probably negatively impacts in all possible scenarios. Bitrate was 3500 Kbit/s and GOP: 30, IDR: 180. OBS was also using about 12% of CPU ( Core i7 = 4 cores, 8 threads). When bitrate set @50Mbit/s it overwhelms the GPU.

By pushing the card to its limits I've found the optimum settings for 1080p@60 Hz recording without stutter. Tried BF4 and no problems almost at all for the first time. It's very smooth and the GPU usage on desktop when recording was 4%. Now there is only one problem left and that is that OBS crashes before it can stop recording often with this release and because of that it cannot finalize the files which corrupts them.

I get 14 - 20 FPS drop when recording at 60 FPS and about 2 - 6 FPS when recording at 30 FPS.

KaziQ

Last edited:

jackun

Developer
@KaziQ, about crashing when stopping, what about newer 27/11 version? 2014-11-27 #2: [64bit] Fix uninited OpenCL (hopefully).
Or you posted about it already?
Hey jackun with your latest build I can't do 60 FPS anymore. Log say is "VCE too slow?" Have you ever been able to get 90 FPS on OBS with any release on an R9 series card?

Ok, I'll have to boot up Win7 anyway. It doesn't seem to behave like Win8. But you can change file extension to FLV as that doesn't need the index or whatever tables at the end of the file to be playable.

Last edited:

sneaky4oe

So, I tested steam encoding that is used in beta client. I guess it encodes with video, but damn, it's so smooth and good looking with low bitrate! Is same result possible with this branch? I barelly noticed there was streaming from my PC.
Unlike raptr, steam actually works with my videocard.

Last edited:

The_Geth

Hello, all. I've been using OBS for some time now, but recently I decided to try out the AMD GVR. Unfortunately, I was disappointed when the most recent patch to the Gaming Evolved app seemed to obsolete my hardware, with the app suddenly telling me that recordings and replays were no longer available on my system (R7 250).

So, my question is this: does AMD VCE support the R7 250 or not? I thought I'd ask you guys, since the people over at Raptr are still attempting to sift through endless logs in the aftermath of their most recent, presumably-botched patch.

EDIT: On this wiki page, it says that the entire Southern Island series should be able to utilize VCE, but the R7 250 (part of the Southern Island series) is not listed. Same on the official AMD blog.

Last edited:

dping

So, I tested steam encoding that is used in beta client. I guess it encodes with video, but damn, it's so smooth and good looking with low bitrate! Is same result possible with this branch? I barelly noticed there was streaming from my PC.
Unlike raptr, steam actually works with my videocard.
Off topic,
Just today Valve updated Steam Beta so you can stream to your friends and anyone that clicks on your profile...via steam's Akamai agreement servers. I haven't seen hardware encoding but this is big

jackun

Developer
So, I tested steam encoding that is used in beta client. I guess it encodes with video, but damn, it's so smooth and good looking with low bitrate! Is same result possible with this branch?
Unless Valve got newer DLLs (last time I checked, they were the same as in Media SDK v1.1 beta), yes probably. Because Steam just encodes framebuffer (well, from display controller or however it works) and does nothing else, it can use DEM (aka "shit's fast, son" :P)

OliverMD

ecause Steam just encodes framebuffer (well, from display controller or however it works) and does nothing else, it can use DEM (aka "shit's fast, son" :P)
What i don't understand is how they manage such a good quality with such a low bitrate. I can't imagine they're using GPU Encoding.
They must be using something on a Software base looking at the task manager and The quality in general.

Oh and the quality also looks really damn good with non-AMD GPU set ups so yeah.

dping

What i don't understand is how they manage such a good quality with such a low bitrate. I can't imagine they're using GPU Encoding.
They must be using something on a Software base looking at the task manager and The quality in general.

Oh and the quality also looks really damn good with non-AMD GPU set ups so yeah.
if you don't select Hardware encode it will use x264 instead. If checked it will use DEM because if you alt tab, it will capture desktop, meaning screen capture. DEM is the flagship of media SDK 1.1 beta. AMD is set to release Media SDK 1.1 GA this month with hopfilly a more robust library for jackun to work with. If you wanna see how good DEM is, check out splash screen which is similar to inhome streaming.

OliverMD

check out splash screen which is similar to inhome streaming.
Maybe you mean SplashTop? I hope not because the program had good ideas but bad executed.
One big issue it got is that it's sub 20FPS from what i remember when trying it myself.

if you don't select Hardware encode it will use x264 instead.
It's still a bit hard to believe for me that Steam is using HW Encoding for streaming looking at the quality.
Also: Why would they only put those options under In-Home Streaming and not under Broadcasting too?

I mean it would explain why my friends (and myself) can stream so well, but it's still weird.
Even though the 2 friends don't have a GPU with NVENC or VCE..so i guess maybe CUDA/OpenCL support?

consolepurgatory

Hi! Just made an account on here, but i have been a vivid user of OBS for some time now. Wanted to say thank you for setting this thing up with AMD,s own encoder since ive allways been struck by encoding and hardware restrictions due to ... well, a multitude of reasons.
Untill today ive been using the OVe version of OBs, but i decided to give the udated version with AMF only.
The settings i used were: bitrate 2000 and AMF set to quality /DX9 - Framskip activate - Min QP:12 /Max QP:51 - Note: I do alot of livestreaming so i wanna be able to show quality - meaning im not really restricted to 2000 in bitrate since i stream on hitbox.
This is my result after giving it a try - http://www.hitbox.tv/video/336745
So far i am enjoying this due to me owning mostly Radeon HD cards so Thank you very much for doing this!
Also, ill be sure to stick around and if anyone has any sugesstions for settings - I tend to stream at 60 fps / 720p resolution - i am more then willing to test settings out if need be :).

dping

Hi! Just made an account on here, but i have been a vivid user of OBS for some time now. Wanted to say thank you for setting this thing up with AMD,s own encoder since ive allways been struck by encoding and hardware restrictions due to ... well, a multitude of reasons.
Untill today ive been using the OVe version of OBs, but i decided to give the udated version with AMF only.
The settings i used were: bitrate 2000 and AMF set to quality /DX9 - Framskip activate - Min QP:12 /Max QP:51 - Note: I do alot of livestreaming so i wanna be able to show quality - meaning im not really restricted to 2000 in bitrate since i stream on hitbox.
This is my result after giving it a try - http://www.hitbox.tv/video/336745
So far i am enjoying this due to me owning mostly Radeon HD cards so Thank you very much for doing this!
Also, ill be sure to stick around and if anyone has any sugesstions for settings - I tend to stream at 60 fps / 720p resolution - i am more then willing to test settings out if need be :).
720@60 really needs more than 2000 especially for vce unless you are playing a game like hearthstone (slowpaced) then its ok. I would raise your bitrate to 32-3500 for a FPS and 2500-3000 for slow/med games.

Maybe you mean SplashTop? I hope not because the program had good ideas but bad executed.
One big issue it got is that it's sub 20FPS from what i remember when trying it myself.

It's still a bit hard to believe for me that Steam is using HW Encoding for streaming looking at the quality.
Also: Why would they only put those options under In-Home Streaming and not under Broadcasting too?

I mean it would explain why my friends (and myself) can stream so well, but it's still weird.
Even though the 2 friends don't have a GPU with NVENC or VCE..so i guess maybe CUDA/OpenCL support?

yeah splashtop. I was restricted to 30fps but it was fast and not bad looking at all

as for inhome streaming.i don't know what you can't believe. It streams at 10-50mb/s using Dem with a low response time buffer. I donno, maybe they found a way to stream it with intrarefresh enabled.

consolepurgatory

720@60 really needs more than 2000 especially for vce unless you are playing a game like hearthstone (slowpaced) then its ok. I would raise your bitrate to 32-3500 for a FPS and 2500-3000 for slow/med games.

Hi there! Will give it a shot later on today. Do i need to make any changes to the QP settings or they are fine as they are? :)

dping

Felt more like 20FPS when i tried it that's for sure. oh well
I was mainly talking about Broadcasting, not In-Home Streaming regarding the Dem stuff and what not
Yeah there is no code from AMD in the new files that came with the broadcast beta, just h264/x264 files mainly, so it is using the CPU based on what I've seen so far.