OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

OliverMD

I could make a null codec that does nothing so most delay would be just dxtory itself.
Everything that might help you improving the DXTory codec i guess :P
If you need anything just gimme codec and tell me what you need. Highly appreciate the help with DXTory

EDIT: Do you know what the advantage is of using Media Fundation over VFW? Friend told me how (at least microsoft) thinks VFW is legacy sh*t and outdated

Hm have to check what's the deal with that, but i think it worked fine for me (though i mostly use OVE version).
Sure take ya time, can't find if you find anything or if it's just me for some reason.

EDIT2: After recording for a while (used F10 and F9 once) it reset my whole graphics driver :/

Last edited:

jackun

Developer
Ok, you can use this nullvfw to see how much Dxtory itself hurts performance. It just returns 1 byte of data for every frame and decoder just fades frame from black to white :P

OliverMD

Ok, you can use this nullvfw to see how much Dxtory itself hurts performance
Damn, it's worse than i expected. I mean i already knew OBS is far better perf wise than most programms but wow.
While using the Null codec it took around 10FPS, VCE codec around 3-5 on top of the 10.
So i guess the Codec is fine but DXTory eats a ton extra on my PC for some reason.
MSI Afterburner is even worse, with the null/VCE codec it eats around 20-25FPS

Baroq

first of all: thanks for all your effort! because of you I am able to record my gameplay without losing any FPS.

just one quick questions: I just bought a second Monitor that I am now using for gaming. Its a 16 by 10 monitor (1920 x 1200). When trying to start the local recording in OBS I get an error ("Unsupported resolution. maximum is 1920 by 1080p). Do you know if there is some sort of fix/workaround for that problem? I'd really love to keep playing (and recording) on my new 16:10 monitor.

Again, thanks for your great work. I really appreciate it.

OliverMD

Do you know if there is some sort of fix/workaround for that problem?.
I think that is a hardware limitation from VCE (shadowplay got the same issue i think) and it can't record above 1080p for some reason.
Only thing (i think) you can do is using the downscale function from OBS and later scale it up to 1080p again if you put it through an editing software. Shouldn't look much worse and work perfectly fine.

Maybe jack can help you with that issue more than i can

Baroq

aight. thanks for your quick answer. Downscaling works fine. I heard that shadowplay now supports up to 1400p so maybe there will be a way to record 1200p via VCE soon. if not I will just use your temporary workaround. thanks again.

OliverMD

I heard that shadowplay now supports up to 1400p so maybe there will be a way to record 1200p via VCE soon. if not I will just use your temporary workaround. thanks again.
Damn it, i knew i heard somethign of Shadowplay supporting higher than 1080p.
Who knows, maybe you get lucky and there is a way to support higher resolutions with VCE too.
No problem, just here to help, good to hear that downsampling works for you :)

OliverMD

What's the error message "encoder initialisation failure"?
Are you using OpenCL for conversion? If so DON'T "Enable custom settings" under VCE settings it breaks recording.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-0-63b-test-2.17349/
"Add a replay buffer feature that allows you to save video files of the last [x] number of seconds (Palana)" When can we except the VCE fork being updated Jack :P?

dping

Are there any term explanations for all the settings under enabling custom settings? I've played with a few, but don't fully understand them. Can you make setting grey if they are not enabled (i.e. custom unchecked?).

Streaming question:
the quality % doesn't seem to make a difference as I am getting pretty heavy blockage on my stream. I've played with a lot of settings and can run my h264 encoding down to slow using 3300bitrate and still get blocky artifacts. running @ 720p 48fps CBR, CFR, using MFT which should be more than enough

EDIT: using 64bit build from 08-10-14

EDIT2: using R9 280x to encode (I believe this is VCE 1.0)

Last edited:

Videophile

Elgato
Question: Been following this for a long time(I have a 7970 myself) and im wondering what the progress is in terms of getting it into the final OBS build? (stable)

-Shrimp

sneaky4oe

Are you using OpenCL for conversion? If so DON'T "Enable custom settings" under VCE settings it breaks recording.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-0-63b-test-2.17349/
"Add a replay buffer feature that allows you to save video files of the last [x] number of seconds (Palana)" When can we except the VCE fork being updated Jack :P?

http://www.twitch.tv/sneaky4oe/c/4908710 - this are my settings. But when I check AMD VCE, it gives me that error message.

jackun

Developer
@sneaky4oe, can you try enabling VCE and then post logs here (Help > Open Log Folder)?

@OliverMD some functions changed in OBS a little so i had to undo MFT hacks and now MFT is a bit wonky again.

sneaky4oe

rhole

I came back to the VCE port of OBS by jackun and gave it a test. I play Final Fantasy XIV and recorded a 4 hours Raid session to Twitch 1280x720 (downscaled) @ 48fps. I then recorded again for 30 mins. I streamed at 6000k. Video was perfect. Playback is perfect with no stutter. Even after 4 hours.

4 hour stream - http://www.twitch.tv/rholelaw/b/558189577 - 6000k (buffer 6000), CBR, 720p, 48fps, MFT.
30 min stream - http://www.twitch.tv/rholelaw/b/558262386 - 6000k (buffer 6000), CBR, 720p, 48fps, MFT.

If someone scans through it and sees some frame rate stuttering it is because I am Alt-Tabbed at the time. When the game loses focus it forces the GPU clocks to drop to idle speeds. This is not an OBS/VCE recording issue. It is just a one monitor/ffxiv issue. :)

Subjectively (not got one on twitch, just a local recording) I think 6k stream with 48fps looks better than with 30fps at same bitrate.
My Ivybridge QuickSync recording look better at 30fps at low bit rates when compared to VCE. But 48fps VCE blows QuickSync out the water. Totally impressed!

-

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASTRiBPXn_M&list=PLPJzq2DzJhr0yPoSjS9HcEiUgktaIj_nN - This is what the 4 hour stream looks like when exported to Youtube.

dping

I came back to the VCE port of OBS by jackun and gave it a test. I play Final Fantasy XIV and recorded a 4 hours Raid session to Twitch 1280x720 (downscaled) @ 48fps.

Could you post your exact settings in OBS? mainly VCE settings (if different than default), and advanced tab? Streaming at 6000k is a bit high for me but I am having issues with major blockage and studdering streaming at 4000k bitrate

Also, does anyone else know if the x264 presets do anything with a VCE setup? i.e. veryfast, faster, fast, med, low, and lower?