OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

icycrash

It's dropping frames while streaming but not when recording. Has anyone else seen this problem. Same settings when streaming as recording.

KaziQ

Hi guys,

The software crashes for some reason. But when I get it to record it's really good. I am using this over raptr because it can just capture the desktop regardless of the game and I can now play Battlefield 4 in Mantle and record it without a performance hit. I've tried different options that caused the software not record anything even though it showed as it did. Battlefield 4 utilizes about 40% CPU usage. When I start recording though it goes to 60% which is still no problem. Here is the footage of the game. I am loving this right now can't wait till it's final.

KaziQ

Fawkes

Hi guys,

The software crashes for some reason. But when I get it to record it's really good. I am using this over raptr because it can just capture the desktop regardless of the game and I can now play Battlefield 4 in Mantle and record it without a performance hit. I've tried different options that caused the software not record anything even though it showed as it did. Battlefield 4 utilizes about 40% CPU usage. When I start recording though it goes to 60% which is still no problem. Here is the footage of the game. I am loving this right now can't wait till it's final.

KaziQ
we are unable to help you if you don't give us information.
what kind of crash is it? is there a crash report? what are your pc specs?
what are the settings you are using? give us as much information possible

vbdkv

Are we getting closer to an official implementation in OBS? Pretty sick of my CPU doing all the work :)

rhole

It's dropping frames while streaming but not when recording. Has anyone else seen this problem. Same settings when streaming as recording.
I too get this problem. However it happens (for me) because VCE seems to completely ignore any set bitrates. If I set VCE to 3500 and the buffer to the same. It seems to average around that. But it can spike to above 20-25Mbit at times. Which causes the twitch stream to fall over even when it falls back down to decent streaming bitrates.

--

Thank you for this VCE project. I will keep helping to test this app as I would really like to use the OBS VCE encoder full time for my streaming. I am currently using the QuickSync encoder on an Ivybridge CPU. I keep testing the VCE one but the bitrate spikes just dont allow me to reliably stream to Twitch without it dropping frames at some point. I have a 20Mbit upload so it is quite a spike.

I have 2 questions and 1 bit of feedback. The questions I have are...

1, Will there be any improvements to the bitrate issues as with us not being able to make the VCE stick to a bitrate we specifically? The Raptr twitch app doesn't do that, so it must at least be possible in VCE.
2, When I record with Quicksync at 3500k and then with VCE at 3500k, I would say my Quicksync stream is better quality... particularly when text is being displayed. Does anyone have any insight on settings I should be using? I try using everything maxed out in terms of settings, but I have a feeling this might be making the text worse. As it should not be possible for the Ivybridge quicksync to give me a better quality stream than the VCE encoder.

So feedback I have... When I record/stream with VCE I encounter a kind of Jitter in game. My FPS is fine. There is no drop at all. But when I look around or move around in game I feel a perceived Jitter in the graphics. If I playback the recording the jitter is not recorded it is just in the Live game. This stops when I stop recording or use the QuickSync encoder. I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit editions. I have tried with Catalyst 14.4 and 14.6. QuickSync and x264 do not have this Jitter. My quick PC specs are (i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz, 7970GHz Edition, 16GB Ram and SSD), so don't think that my specs are an issue.

Last edited:

KaziQ

K. I assume they are all similar.

Attachments

• 2014-07-04-0115-43.log
    2.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2014-07-04-0116-10.log
    5.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2014-07-04-0117-12.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2014-07-04-0117-37.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2014-07-04-0118-10.log
    4.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2014-07-04-0121-54.log
    3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2014-07-04-0119-49.log
    8.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2014-07-04-0133-18.log
    118 bytes · Views: 15
  • 2014-07-04-0124-32.log
    7.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2014-07-04-0126-45.log
    6.2 KB · Views: 18

Mooed

I seem to be having much better results with Quicksync, just can't make my VCE recordings look anywhere similar. And I was never really very happy with Quicksync to begin with...

Im going for highbitrate local recordings.

All advice welcome. Perhaps I fudged a setting somewhere in my hours of testing.

jackun

Developer
K. I assume they are all similar.
Crash logs should be in 'crashDumps'.
Try disabling the use of OpenCL, see if that helps with jitter. I haven't noticed jittering on my end. If you get 'OVEncodeGetDeviceCap failed!' in log, you have to restart your computer. And in 'VCE Settings' if 'Enable custom settings' isn't checked, pre-defined hardcoded settings are used.

@vbdkv i think not until this annoying bitrate issue and these random crashes are fixed.

jackun

Developer
Im going for highbitrate local recordings.
If you just do local recordings and free hdd space be damned then under Advanced make sure 'Use CRF' (or CFR, i always forget) is checked. Then uncheck CBR and set quality to 8 or higher.

Mooed

Hmm thanks for the input, still seeing terrible results.

What would be the best way to reset the settings to default? I'm pretty sure I am at fault :D

Cheers

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
@jackun, just remember:
Constant Ratio Factor = Quality = CRF
Constant Frame Rate = CFR

@Mooed, you could delete your global.ini and "name of profile".ini in the %appdata%\OBS folder (and subfolder profile) this should remove all settings but keep your scenes configuration.

Kastoremaru

Trying to figure out a problem where my local capture videos are too short and play really fast.

System consists of
OBS 32 or 64 bit
Win 8.1 64
R9 290
FX-9370
8GB of ram
recording to a 2TB hard drive that my OS is not installed on.

On the Encoding page I have AMD VCE checked at the top.
If I put a check into Use OpenCL for NV12 conversion I get the YUVV error mentioned in the thread. So I don't use it.
If I leave the VCE MFT box unchecked then when I record to a local file the recording meter in OBS goes to 1 and that's it. File is unreadable that it creates.
If I check the VCE MFT box, then it records, but a 30 second file is only 12 seconds long and plays really fast.

If I just use my old x264 settings everything works perfectly. But of course I want to try the AMD VCE settings because it's new. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

jackun

Developer
If I check the VCE MFT box, then it records, but a 30 second file is only 12 seconds long and plays really fast.
I should disable/remove the checkbox for now, but do you have 'low latency' checked? I don't know if OBS supports it somehow, but if encoder doesn't return output frames often enough (ie MFT with low latency checked :S), video is going to play back faster.

'Use OpenCL for NV12' is currently used with older OpenVideo API only, that is, when 'Use MFT..' is unchecked.

Last edited:

KaziQ

I've tried the media foundation VCE MFT instead of OpenCL for NV12 conversion. The speed of the video is all messed up. Tried all different frame rate combinations in between 23 and 120. Is anyone having the same problem. Videos that I record are super fast when I play them. Though it looks like I am not having any of the delayed encoding issues with this option.

Kastoremaru

Removing the check out of Low Latency almost fixed it. Instead of my 30 second videos being 12 seconds; they are now 22 seconds and still play at an elevated speed. And I get an error that the encoding is taking too long at the start. Is there anything else I should try tweaking?

Last edited:

KaziQ

If you disable low latency and set the frame rate to 30 then it's K. But if you increase then it gets messed up. Low CPU usage if you use media foundation instead of OpenCL. We need varied frame rate like the Nvidia's shadowplay.

akeera

The Raptr / Gaming Evolved app that just came out seems to support VCE encoding for Twitch ? AM i right in assuming this. I'd assume to get that it would have to have stable bitrate functionality. Is there any way to match OBS's VCE settings to that used in the Raptr software to enable a stable bitrate ?

I only ask if OBS can do this because the Raptr client is buggy as f* and i can't get the DVR or Twitch function to work on almost all games. Whereas OBS works flawlessly... if only a bit jagged on the bitrate graph maps :D

Kastoremaru

If you disable low latency and set the frame rate to 30 then it's K. But if you increase then it gets messed up. Low CPU usage if you use media foundation instead of OpenCL. We need varied frame rate like the Nvidia's shadowplay.

That was it! Take the check out of Low Latency and set the fps to 30. I have always recorded at 60 so I never even thought about changing it to 30. Thanks everyone for the help!

akeera

Stability wise is almost good enough for a stream. Just depends how much static-to-motion scenes you're doing. Switching from menus to gameplay for example produces a short term spike. But for through and through motion i think it handles a reasonable steady bitrate.

Here's an upload i just streamed to twitch.

I'm using an R9 290 (VCE 2.0. Not sure if OBS can detect/make better use of each version)

Video was streamed to twitch in OBS at 1080 / 30fps / 3500kb

As you can see, for the most part its a nice steady bitrate. Just a few frame drops / spikes when loading into the maps at start of a round. I have V-sync on in-game and pretty much everything on full settings wise. Not sure if that affects anything.

http://www.twitch.tv/akeeratv/c/4630002