OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

chummy

Can anyone try a GPU intenstive game with OBS and MSI Afterburner and compare.

I tested OBS-MP to record VCE at 1080p/30fps. OBS-MP was which give me the small impact in performance compared to AB and Raptr without causing any problem.

Are you using separated disk for recording? How do you measured FPS in game recording with OBS1 since for me Fraps dont work together OBS1.

I tested OBS-MP to record VCE at 1080p/30fps. OBS-MP was which give me the small impact in performance compared to AB and Raptr without causing any problem.

Are you using separated disk for recording? How do you measured FPS in game recording with OBS1 since for me Fraps dont work together OBS1.

1080p/30fps seems to work kinda fine, cause it's over 30fps it seems to start getting a huge overhead to the GPU.

I record to a second disk, or rather 2 in a software raid. So the filewrite speed isn't a problem, even tried an SSD just in case.

I use Afterburner and it seems to work fine to show FPS.
At times i think it kinda bugs out and i have to restart though, if i restart OBS many times etc i think it can cause it to not capture or something.

If using Windows 10, try running your games in windows 8 compability mode. Fixes every framerate drops for me.
Also if you have a GCN 1.0 card, stick to 720/60 or 1080/30.

chummy

1080p/30fps seems to work kinda fine, cause it's over 30fps it seems to start getting a huge overhead to the GPU.

I record to a second disk, or rather 2 in a software raid. So the filewrite speed isn't a problem, even tried an SSD just in case.

I use Afterburner and it seems to work fine to show FPS.
At times i think it kinda bugs out and i have to restart though, if i restart OBS many times etc i think it can cause it to not capture or something.

You dont specify you was trying higher than 1080/30, so in this case i dont know.

But about disks, i dont mean about write speed why i dont see quality improvements in any thing above 50Mbps with lossy 264, but loading game from same disk than recording can cause trouble, since drives are not good at handling multiple tasks I/O at same time. Stutter in game is common in this case if the game keep loading constant data and constant data being written to disk. My experience though.

You dont specify you was trying higher than 1080/30, so in this case i dont know.

But about disks, i dont mean about write speed why i dont see quality improvements in any thing above 50Mbps with lossy 264, but loading game from same disk than recording can cause trouble, since drives are not good at handling multiple tasks I/O at same time. Stutter in game is common in this case if the game keep loading constant data and constant data being written to disk. My experience though.

My bad, i meant like 1080p/60fps. I am not able to keep that in any GPU intensive game.
I think i have trouble even below that if it's very intense, and it depends on AMD VCE encoder application.

Ah okay, well the game is on a separate disk, so that's of no issue on my part:)

Elensar286

I thought my settings were good, but I guess not. Causes the video drivers to crash all the time. Guess the reality might just be that a smooth and stable 1080p60 isn't possible even with the R9 380 on any preset.

I thought my settings were good, but I guess not. Causes the video drivers to crash all the time. Guess the reality might just be that a smooth and stable 1080p60 isn't possible even with the R9 380 on any preset.

Your driver crash?
What settings do you use.
I have only got some crashes, but i think that was with OBS Studio with OpenGL renderer.

Elensar286

Your driver crash?
What settings do you use.
I have only got some crashes, but i think that was with OBS Studio with OpenGL renderer.

As far as I can tell, literally any settings running at 60FPS will cause my drivers to crash. Could be that I just got a bad card. My current settings which get the smoothest results are VBR(Peak Constrained), Host Memory type and disabled D3D Interop at 1080p60, 32000kbps bitrate.

dping

As far as I can tell, literally any settings running at 60FPS will cause my drivers to crash. Could be that I just got a bad card. My current settings which get the smoothest results are VBR(Peak Constrained), Host Memory type and disabled D3D Interop at 1080p60, 32000kbps bitrate.
have you tried disabling hardware decoding in steam?

Shouldn't be the card, i mean my card has issues as well on many things, Tonga isn't the most famous for it's stability.
But what Driver do you have, what Catalyst/Crimson version?

I currently use 15.11.1 Catalyst.

Elensar286

have you tried disabling hardware decoding in steam?

That doesn't seem very relevant since I'm not actually using in-home streaming for anything, though I'll play around with that anyway and see if it fixes any issues.

Also, are CBR and CFR incompatible with each other while using VCE? If I run both at the same time the video crashes after about three seconds of recording. Don't need CFR anyway though, so that's not really a problem.

@ZeroWalker can't find any simple way to quote in an edit, but I'm running the 16.1 Hotfix. The same issue occured under 15.11.1, and I'm not really a fan of rolling back to Catalyst to try any older drivers.

That doesn't seem very relevant since I'm not actually using in-home streaming for anything, though I'll play around with that anyway and see if it fixes any issues.

Also, are CBR and CFR incompatible with each other while using VCE? If I run both at the same time the video crashes after about three seconds of recording. Don't need CFR anyway though, so that's not really a problem.

@ZeroWalker can't find any simple way to quote in an edit, but I'm running the 16.1 Hotfix. The same issue occured under 15.11.1, and I'm not really a fan of rolling back to Catalyst to try any older drivers.

I seems to always have had CFR checked, so it shouldn't be incompatible.
I haven't played long with AMD VCE, as i can't get it to work in 60fps it's not interesting for me as i use x264 superfast in 30fps and that looks much better (but takes ton of performance).
But i have played for probably 1-2 min max on this OBS VCE version, and in those cases i haven't had a crash.
Or perhaps i have had one or two, i think i have, but those were rare cases and occurred very fast i think.

As for the driver, i have used 16.1 Hotfix as well, pretty sure i played around with OBS VCE then as well.
Reason why i use 15.11.1 is because of some issues Graphically and Settings wise, nothing with VCE,
except that Raptr recording doesn't work with Crimson for me in those cases i tried.

dping

Hardware decoding has been shown to cause crashing on the 285 and 380/x. decoding, not encoding.its in the interface tab of steam

Gonanda

Guys, please, read carefully:
@dodgepong, please add this to original OBS 0.657.

It will not be added to OBS 0.657. All development is being done on OBS Multiplatform, no more on the old OBS.

Ok. @dodgepong, you mean, OBS 0.657 don't got any support in future or what?

The old OBS (0.657) is not being developed anymore. All development efforts are being put into OBS Multiplatform.

That's all.

Scyntrus

I'm looking to use this for the replay buffer functionality, as a replacement for shadowplay.
I will NOT be using this for streaming at all, so bandwidth is not a factor.
That being said, I was wondering what optimizations I can make to reduce the FPS impact in game.

My specs are:
Radeon 7970
i5-2500K
16GB RAM
Separate HDDs for video capture and game
1920x1080 resolution
I do realize my rig's kind of old

I want to keep the last 30 seconds of footage and am looking to keep the file size within the 50MB range or less.
So far I have noticed a bit of FPS drop when running OBS. At the same time the recorded video quality is pretty bad when there's a lot of movement.

Will reducing the bitrate increase in game performance? I'm currently set at 4096kb/s.
Should I set a custom buffer size? I have it set to 8192, not sure if it makes a difference.
Will downscaling improve in game performance? I'm currently downscaling by 2.
Does setting the recording FPS lock the in game FPS like what Fraps does? I have it set to 30.
Which rate control method should I use? Currently using peak constrained VBR.
What do the VCE presets do? I'm using "speed".

As far as i can tell bitrate doesn't have much if any impact on FPS.
Preset do, but not by far.

There is really not much that seems to affect the FPS aside from Memory Type i think.

And if you are looking for quality, encode using Constant QP and change the different QP numbers (lower the better).
The min-max of them should be 18-51, but you can decrease 18 to lower if you want to allow higher quality.
Problem is that VCE doesn't seem to be that great at this quality factor thing compared to x264.
So even if you get very high quality on motion with that, it can be a block storm in static images.
If you then increase so static images look good, then motion will eat ton of bitrate.