OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

dping

Thanks, @dping!

Is the single-GPU encoding thing a driver limitation? I'm slowly pressuring AMD to put more time and effort into VCE for things like this. HEVC requiring licensing is problematic, but if I could use two mini 380s to assist encoding, I imagine I'd have phenomenal quality or something.

I realize this is a significantly simplistic view of things, but it's a conversation I want to start.

Also @jackun, any chance of getting Realtime as a priority option? I have to manually set it when firing up Assassin's Creed Syndicate because the game throttles my CPU to the max upon launch and will otherwise timeout my Twitch upload, disconnecting the stream. (Maybe this has to be in the main branch first?)
there is an option to select which GPU does the encoding via device ID but it doesn't seem to work with AMF (from something jackun said a while ago) OBS seems to force is to which ever gpu is selected in the video tab at the top.

BioGenx2b

there is an option to select which GPU does the encoding via device ID but it doesn't seem to work with AMF (from something jackun said a while ago) OBS seems to force is to which ever gpu is selected in the video tab at the top.

Once I have my PAX South costs covered (soon) I'll be picking up an R9 380 mini to test this. I'm hoping I can make it work to increase performance in Star Citizen above all else, but some other titles should hopefully receive a benefit as well.

dping

Once I have my PAX South costs covered (soon) I'll be picking up an R9 380 mini to test this. I'm hoping I can make it work to increase performance in Star Citizen above all else, but some other titles should hopefully receive a benefit as well.
Just a note on the 380 (285 or 380x) for all of you out there with those, if you disable steam's hardware decoding it will sometimes fix crash issues for that card. I know a few people having had issues with crashing when encoding/playing certain games and from what I've seen, this fixes those issues.

Shafski

Hi.

I'm trying to stream game capture. However, no matter what settings I use, unless I tick Disable D3D10 interopability, or run it on something other than Direct 11, whenever I switch to the game capture the frame just freezes on that frame and my OBS FPS drops to 1, my kbs goes to like 20,000 (even though I have max bitrate as 3.5k) and i either get "Warning, to high encoding" or "VCE too slow" error, the latter more commonly.

Any ideas why?

Streaming with a Radeon HD 8570D with 15.7 drivers. Using 720p 30 fps.

If I tick it off, it works fine but my ingame just runs insanely choppy.

BioGenx2b

So I got an R9 380 Nitro. I installed it as an additional card, hoping to isolate rendering the stream to it. Game Capture doesn't work unless I set the game-rendering card (290X) to the video adapter in OBS. :(

Multiplatform does the same thing.

Last edited:
Got the same card as the one above, R9 380 Nitro, however my question is this.

I have tried OBS Studio with AMD VCE and it completely fails in heavy stuff, it's a total slideshow,
we are talking 60+% images drop.

I also tried this OBS AMD VCE branch version, and it's probably worse, i can't record even the desktop without me getting some "flushing buffer, VCE too slow" or something.

MSI Afterburner is the one that actually works quite well, though it only works at 1050p for 16:10, i have 1920x1200.

I am hoping i am doing something wrong here,
cause i thought R9 380 and VCE 3.0 was supposed to be very fast and that it was even able to somewhat do 4k,
and therefore 1920x1200 should be fairly easy.

Please help enlighten me about this;)

AvroTrigger

So still no solution for fluctuating bitrate????
normal strand of obs doesnt have this issue however its cpu...
amf isnt good for streaming and probably wont be for a while.

am i not mistaken but didnt jack work on dxtory or at least the vce codec for dxtory?
it feels better at capturing for stream however there isnt a viable way to stream it.

Hi.

I'm trying to stream game capture. However, no matter what settings I use, unless I tick Disable D3D10 interopability, or run it on something other than Direct 11,...

If I tick it off, it works fine but my ingame just runs insanely choppy.

I noticed this problem recently on my desktop and will see if unchecking interopability fixes the problem. OBS would just frame freeze, i didn't see any other error nor does my game run choppy.

Shafski

I noticed this problem recently on my desktop and will see if unchecking interopability fixes the problem. OBS would just frame freeze, i didn't see any other error nor does my game run choppy.
My game doesn't run choppy if its doing that, since its probably not using up any resources recording a single frame that its frozen on.

It streams normally with d3d10 interop disabled or using a engine other than dx11, but then the choppiness starts :\

Still hoping anyone can offer some suggestions?

leporel

I have a problem, CS:GO with OBS randomly crashing after 30m~2h streaming
OBS log - https://gist.github.com/anonymous/80dee65aec83451e05cf

When it's happend, csgo freezing with OBS and i close these in ctrl-alt-del

"Anti-cheat compatibility hooking" not helped

Latest AMD Crimson Drivers, steam UI disabled, i dont have AMD Game Evolved or Razer Synapse or other Overlays.

Attachments

• Advanced.jpg
    Advanced.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 38
  • encoding.jpg
    encoding.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 39
  • AMD VCE.jpg
    AMD VCE.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 43
So I got an R9 380 Nitro. I installed it as an additional card, hoping to isolate rendering the stream to it. Game Capture doesn't work unless I set the game-rendering card (290X) to the video adapter in OBS. :(

Multiplatform does the same thing.

Maybe it's because game uses 290X and it has to be 290X to make game capture work?

dping

Got the same card as the one above, R9 380 Nitro, however my question is this.

I have tried OBS Studio with AMD VCE and it completely fails in heavy stuff, it's a total slideshow,
we are talking 60+% images drop.

I also tried this OBS AMD VCE branch version, and it's probably worse, i can't record even the desktop without me getting some "flushing buffer, VCE too slow" or something.

MSI Afterburner is the one that actually works quite well, though it only works at 1050p for 16:10, i have 1920x1200.

I am hoping i am doing something wrong here,
cause i thought R9 380 and VCE 3.0 was supposed to be very fast and that it was even able to somewhat do 4k,
and therefore 1920x1200 should be fairly easy.

Please help enlighten me about this;)
on the 380s try disabling hardware encoding in Steam which I've heard can cause crashing if enabled. From what I hear, this is isolated to the 285, 380 and 380x gen cards.

VCE 3.0 is mainly H.265, so it's not used AFAIK.
H265 is just a standard. it supposedly can do up to 4k@30 which should do 1080@60 quality preset easy.

So still no solution for fluctuating bitrate????
\
There have been a few fixes one of them is set max qp to 23. you might also try using discard filler NALs.

I have a problem, CS:GO with OBS randomly crashing after 30m~2h streaming
OBS log - https://gist.github.com/anonymous/80dee65aec83451e05cf

When it's happend, csgo freezing with OBS and i close these in ctrl-alt-del

"Anti-cheat compatibility hooking" not helped

Latest AMD Crimson Drivers, steam UI disabled, i dont have AMD Game Evolved or Razer Synapse or other Overlays.
dont use anticheat with CS:GO, its not needed. as for your issue, the log states this:
Code:
22:01:06: RTMPPublisher::SocketLoop: Stalled for 1605 ms to write 309763 bytes (buffer: 0 / 310272), unstable connection?
which is your connection stalling out. imagine the traffic jam as VCE is trying to push out your stream and your internet stalling. This is why it thinks "VCE is to slow?" but its not. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tech-support/478845-twitchtest-twitch-bandwidth-tester
Use this tool for your region to take a look at connection stuff. I dont think this is a VCE issue here.

Last edited:

BioGenx2b

Maybe it's because game uses 290X and it has to be 290X to make game capture work?

That's exactly what I said.

H265 is just a standard.
So how can I test it with OBS? Any way to do that currently? The point I was making was, to my knowledge, VCE doesn't offer any new benefits to H264 after 1.2. Is that incorrect?

Also, I know OVE supported setting the device through its Index and DeviceID, but does AMF actually have something like that? I have two more weeks with my 380 before I have to decide if I should keep or return.

Last edited: