OBS 30.1.2 Video Encoder Settings for Recording on a MacBook Pro Silicon M1

nickurban

Hi,

I recently upgraded from OBS 28 to 30.1.2 and now see all kinds of other video encoders and codec options for recording. Since this version is so new, the options I see don't match any of the discussions/tutorials online I've come across.

I previously recorded with Apple H264 Hardware encoder, but it seems that the tech has improved a lot... there's probably something more efficient.

I have a 4K camera (OBS Bot Tail Air) and want to record in very high quality... but without insane file sizes. I only use hardware encoders, and the ProRes at 422 HQ resulted in a 25-45 GB file size for short 2-4 minute recordings. I can't find any way to make the ProRes files smaller, aside from using a lower quality codec (normal non HQ 422 still creates huge files). Is using a lower ProRes codec still better/more efficient than the other encoders?

Although I'm on a M1 MBP, the OBS auto configuration wizard still suggests I use the same Apple H264 Hardware encoder.

I've been experimenting with HEVC and AOM AV1 now. I don't have "Apple VT HEVC Hardware Encoder" as the everyone else online shows. Just "HEVC". This encoder seem like a nice compromise between the file size and quality. HEVC only shows me on Rate Control option, ABR. Is 8,000 Kbps Bitrate good enough for this?

AV1 shows more configuration options.

My real question, though, is for a M1 MBP, which video encoder is best for recording with great 4K quality, without the massive file size. Still H264 Hardware encoder, or one of the others? And any specific video encoder settings I should configure?

Thank you!

TFE

I live stream two shows per week (long form, approx two hours each) using an M1 Studio (latest OS) running OBS (latest version). Previously used an M1 Mini. Also have an M1 MBP that is used for testing MacOS and OBS software upgrades before applying them to the Studio. Show currently streams at 1080/30 (have used 1080/60 no problem, but seems overkill given I'm not gaming or showing live sports), 18 scenes, with three USB cameras, two other video sources (keynote running on the Mini and a display capture), plus a guest via Skype that runs on the MBP connected to the Studio by NDI. I record while streaming using the same encoder. ISP is Comcast/Xfinity cable 1.2 down and 40 up with their latest XB8 cable modem. Show is co-streamed to FB and YT via Restream. After extensive trial and error, reading advice in this forum and others, and watching every YT video on the topic, have concluded that, at least for me, using x264 at 4500 kbps, CBR, very fast, main, 2 keyframes/sec is best. When live, CPU usage (as shown by OBS stat) is approx 11%. I have found that the Apple VT hardware encoder is less reliable (dropped network frames). I also find it important, before starting each show, to shut down and power up (with the power button) the M1 Studio rather than just "re-starting." Am told shutting down completely and powering back up clears the video cache? Regardless, seems the best way for me to produce reliable streams. Hope this helps, and would appreciate any feedback.

pakpenyo

I live stream two shows per week (long form, approx two hours each) using an M1 Studio (latest OS) running OBS (latest version). Previously used an M1 Mini. Also have an M1 MBP that is used for testing MacOS and OBS software upgrades before applying them to the Studio. Show currently streams at 1080/30 (have used 1080/60 no problem, but seems overkill given I'm not gaming or showing live sports), 18 scenes, with three USB cameras, two other video sources (keynote running on the Mini and a display capture), plus a guest via Skype that runs on the MBP connected to the Studio by NDI. I record while streaming using the same encoder. ISP is Comcast/Xfinity cable 1.2 down and 40 up with their latest XB8 cable modem. Show is co-streamed to FB and YT via Restream. After extensive trial and error, reading advice in this forum and others, and watching every YT video on the topic, have concluded that, at least for me, using x264 at 4500 kbps, CBR, very fast, main, 2 keyframes/sec is best. When live, CPU usage (as shown by OBS stat) is approx 11%. I have found that the Apple VT hardware encoder is less reliable (dropped network frames). I also find it important, before starting each show, to shut down and power up (with the power button) the M1 Studio rather than just "re-starting." Am told shutting down completely and powering back up clears the video cache? Regardless, seems the best way for me to produce reliable streams. Hope this helps, and would appreciate any feedback.
Do you try your setup without Restream? Maybe using RTMP Multiple Output plugin and stream to three YT channel?