OBS 29.0.0 Video Capture Device audio is uncontrolled?

frost6431

I've learned that in the 29.0.0 update, the Video Capture Device source now captures audio. Before the update changed things, I used a separate Audio Input Capture to get the audio from my HDMI-to-USB video capture card (I'm streaming to Twitch from my docked Nintendo Switch).

I would expect the new audio to appear as a channel in the audio mixer, but there is nothing new there. I've gone through all of the basic and advanced settings and can't find how to tell the Video Capture Device source audio to be ignored or decreased, which makes streaming from the Switch impossible for me. The result is that as long as I am capturing the Switch visual, the Switch audio is paired at maximum volume.

Some important details are that I have a very basic video capture card with no volume control of its own. The Switch has a set volume level while docked. That being the case, I could only manage the Switch input/output volume within OBS Audio Input Capture before the update.

Basically, I'm looking for settings in OBS to control the Video Capture Device source audio.

Are there any solutions? I could very well be missing something, but I get the feeling I may need to wait for a future update.

1673583644616.png

SOD MAD HAVEN

Apply a limiter to it and a noise gate and Max them out then add a separate audio device and link your capture card audio to it I did that to fix the problem

AaronD

Apply a limiter to it and a noise gate and Max them out then add a separate audio device and link your capture card audio to it I did that to fix the problem
It's not even there! How to apply anything to it if it doesn't even show up?

The OP says that the new audio source does not appear in the UI at all, but does go to the stream.

Are there any solutions? I could very well be missing something, but I get the feeling I may need to wait for a future update.

View attachment 90612
A couple of things to try:
  • Click the Advanced button (two gears in the bottom left corner of the Audio Mixer, as shown in your screenshot), then uncheck the Only Active box in the bottom left corner of the popup window. Does that show the new audio source? If so, you can mute it from there.
  • Right-click some empty space in the Audio Mixer, and click Vertical Layout. (do it again to switch back) That should show more channels in the same space. Maybe you missed a scrollbar, or maybe the real bug is that there isn't a scrollbar when there should be.

koala

You can control the audio of a video capture device by opening the properties of the video capture device source, then scroll to the bottom to "Audio Output Mode". If you set it to "Capture audio only" (the default), an audio source with the same name as your video capture device source will appear in the audio mixer. Make sure to "Unhide all" (click on the vertical ... menu in the mixer dock) in case you accidentally hide that source. Then you can control monitoring of that source in advanced audio properties.

It's also possible to direct that audio to some Windows audio device instead. If you change Audio Output mode to not "Output desktop audio (...)", you output that audio to Windows desktop audio or to some custom audio device if you check "Use custom audio device". If you check it, you can choose the audio device in the drop down list below.

If you want to monitor that source, define some meaningful device in Settings->Audio->Advanced->Monitoring device. It must not be a device you also capture for the audio mixer to prevent a feedback loop. Usually, you define some headset device here.

frost6431

Thank you so much for your help! This worked perfectly! I feel silly about it, but wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

In case anyone might want some more details, here's the process that fixed the issue:
  1. Right-click the Video Capture Device under "Sources", then select "Filters".
  2. Select the "+" under "Audio/Video Filters" and add a Limiter.
  3. Set the Limiter Threshold as low as it will go (-60 dB) and the Release as high as it will go (1000 ms).
  4. Select the "+" again and add a Noise Gate.
  5. Set the Noise Gate Close Threshold as low as it will go (-96 dB) and the Open Threshold as high as it will go (0 dB). Then set the Attack Time to 0 ms and the Hold and Release times to 1000 ms.
Now the audio from the Video Capture Device is completely blocked (with a little excess safety) and I can adjust my volume as usual with the Audio Input Capture Source I used before.

AaronD

Thank you so much for your help! This worked perfectly! I feel silly about it, but wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

In case anyone might want some more details, here's the process that fixed the issue:
  3. Set the Limiter Threshold as low as it will go (-60 dB) and the Release as high as it will go (1000 ms).
  5. Set the Noise Gate Close Threshold as low as it will go (-96 dB) and the Open Threshold as high as it will go (0 dB). Then set the Attack Time to 0 ms and the Hold and Release times to 1000 ms.
Now the audio from the Video Capture Device is completely blocked (with a little excess safety) and I can adjust my volume as usual with the Audio Input Capture Source I used before.
Okay, I must have completely misunderstood. Glad that it works.

Seems like there ought to be a way to tell it to just not use that audio, instead of killing it with filters. If not, then I'd make a bug report.

SOD MAD HAVEN

thanks im not the greatest at explaining i dont chat alot in forms

frost6431

Okay, I must have completely misunderstood. Glad that it works.

Seems like there ought to be a way to tell it to just not use that audio, instead of killing it with filters. If not, then I'd make a bug report.
I had tried what you suggested before I updated from 29.0.0 to 29.0.2 and it didn’t work for me. But I just tried it again now and had new results. I saw a new item that was listed as hidden, selected “Unhide All”, and now I’ve got the Video Capture Device listed in the audio mixer. Thank you!!!

mysidia

I have a similar issue here.. with OBS 29 Update; Audio used to come through just fine, But after the Upgrade to OBS29 - capture card Audio doesn't come through the Capture Card source at all, and it just plays a different Audio source's audio.

It seems like OBS ignores whichever Audio source I choose as "Audio Device" in the video source's properties and plays the wrong audio source.