OBS 28 - No HEVC streaming encoder option?

Syrio_Forealio

Hi all,

In the 27 build of OBS, I could have sworn there was an option under Settings > Output > Streaming > Encoder - which read "Hardware (NVENC, HEVC)".

Was this never the case? In version 28 (and now I'm on v28.0.3)It's available to me as a recording encoder, but not for streaming. I'm using an RTX 3090 and I'm currently on the latest gaming graphics driver. Curious if H.265/HEVC was ever a streaming encoder option or if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• No H265 option.jpg
    No H265 option.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 999

PaiSand

Hi all,

In the 27 build of OBS, I could have sworn there was an option under Settings > Output > Streaming > Encoder - which read "Hardware (NVENC, HEVC)".

Was this never the case? In version 28 (and now I'm on v28.0.3)It's available to me as a recording encoder, but not for streaming. I'm using an RTX 3090 and I'm currently on the latest gaming graphics driver. Curious if H.265/HEVC was ever a streaming encoder option or if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Thanks!

You need to select in Stream settings Youtube HLS instead of rtmps. Youtube is the only service so far provinding this technology.
Click on Show all... to display the full list when selecting the Service.

Now you have HEVC available. And yes, in simple output mode.

Syrio_Forealio

You need to select in Stream settings Youtube HLS instead of rtmps. Youtube is the only service so far provinding this technology.
Click on Show all... to display the full list when selecting the Service.

Now you have HEVC available. And yes, in simple output mode.
That is helpful, thank you.

I could have sworn that previous OBS builds let me send HEVC to vimeo, but I guess I was just mixing up HEVC and NVENC H.264. Was hoping to use lower bitrates + higher quality. Oh well.

Attachments

• Vimeo does not support hevc.jpg
    Vimeo does not support hevc.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 860