OBS 28.0.1 can use the old QSV encoder but not the old NVENC encoder?

MetallicAllex

My NVIDIA graphics card is relatively old (GeForce GT 735M) and has been updated to the latest version of the driver. The previous version 27.2.4 of OBS Studio can use hardware NVENC encoding. Yesterday, I received an update prompt. After the upgrade is completed as required, start the software, I found that I can't use hardware NVENC for streaming and screen recording (neither H.264 nor HEVC, H.264 prompts "This version of NVENC library is not supported, please update your graphics card driver to the latest version", HEVC prompts "Failed to open NVENC encoder: The function is not implemented. Please check whether your graphics card driver is the latest version" [HEVC can't be used, it's okay, graphics card is very old and doesn't support it; but H.264 can't be used either]). Using Intel's hardware QSV encoding can switch to the old QSV encoder, but NVENC can't.
Is this the problem? If yes, please fix him asap, thanks.

Attachments

• 2022-09-04 23-18-02.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 71

MetallicAllex

your not the only one who is going through this everyone is hope we get this fixed soon i got twitch and youtube to run lolz
Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon. The new version does not support NVENC encoding, so streaming and screen recording are not possible. (QSV encoding and software encoding are too cardy and cannot be used smoothly at all)

koala

From your log:
Code:
23:19:50.644: error:   Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 11.1 Found: 9.0
23:19:50.644: error:   The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is 471.41 or newer
So update your Nvidia drivers from https://www.nvidia.de/Download. The current driver version is > 500.

Kraezy

My NVIDIA graphics card is relatively old (GeForce GT 735M) and has been updated to the latest version of the driver.

When you say "latest" version, you're not telling us what version it is.
Because the log you've provided states otherwise, and in that you're running an older driver, quite OLD infact.

As Koala has stated, update your drivers properly

MetallicAllex

From your log:
Code:
23:19:50.644: error:   Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 11.1 Found: 9.0
23:19:50.644: error:   The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is 471.41 or newer
So update your Nvidia drivers from https://www.nvidia.de/Download. The current driver version is > 500.
This graphics card is already the latest version of the driver (425.31) corresponding to NVIDIA's official website, and there is no updated version of the driver.

MetallicAllex

When you say "latest" version, you're not telling us what version it is.
Because the log you've provided states otherwise, and in that you're running an older driver, quite OLD infact.

As Koala has stated, update your drivers properly
The latest version of this graphics card corresponding to the NVIDIA official website driver is only 425.31, and there is no updated version. Maybe a possible solution is to use an older version of OBS Studio or replace with a new graphics card?

koala

Ah, Nvidia actually stopped updating drivers for the GT 735M. In this case you're probably out of luck and cannot use nvenc with OBS 28, as it apparently requires some newer nvenc api version than the old driver supports.
It's not directly OBS that requires newer drivers, it's the integrated ffmpeg libraries OBS depends on for access to nvenc and everything that has to do with video handling. Standalone versions of ffmpeg display the same requirement if using nvenc with it.

tl;dr:
Either live without nvenc, or update your GPU hardware that has newer supported drivers, or downgrade OBS.

MetallicAllex

Ah, Nvidia actually stopped updating drivers for the GT 735M. In this case you're probably out of luck and cannot use nvenc with OBS 28, as it apparently requires some newer nvenc api version than the old driver supports.
It's not directly OBS that requires newer drivers, it's the integrated ffmpeg libraries OBS depends on for access to nvenc and everything that has to do with video handling. Standalone versions of ffmpeg display the same requirement if using nvenc with it.

tl;dr:
Either live without nvenc, or update your GPU hardware that has newer supported drivers, or downgrade OBS.
It seems that a better solution is to downgrade the OBS version (GT 735M is a notebook graphics card, there is no way to replace it). In order to continue to use the old version of NVENC encoding, OBS will be downgraded to the previous version (27.2.4)
Andway, thanks for your help.

Patrik25Cz

I have Nivida GTX 1650 grapics card and before i got the update 28.0.1. everything worked perfectly. Now i updated it to the latest version and it says the same thing like yours. I hove it's only a bug and they will fix it asap cuz i use OBS very often.

SpicyJaw

My NVIDIA graphics card is relatively old (GeForce GT 735M) and has been updated to the latest version of the driver. The previous version 27.2.4 of OBS Studio can use hardware NVENC encoding. Yesterday, I received an update prompt. After the upgrade is completed as required, start the software, I found that I can't use hardware NVENC for streaming and screen recording (neither H.264 nor HEVC, H.264 prompts "This version of NVENC library is not supported, please update your graphics card driver to the latest version", HEVC prompts "Failed to open NVENC encoder: The function is not implemented. Please check whether your graphics card driver is the latest version" [HEVC can't be used, it's okay, graphics card is very old and doesn't support it; but H.264 can't be used either]). Using Intel's hardware QSV encoding can switch to the old QSV encoder, but NVENC can't.
Is this the problem? If yes, please fix him asap, thanks.
I never had a problem using nvenc with the older OBS but now I'm having problems. why?

ncxj

I have same problem.
My NVIDIA graphics card is GTX 970, the driveri is 526.86-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql,and ffmep.exe version 2022-11-03-git-5ccd4d3060-essentials_build-www.gyan.
And I can't use NVENC encoding with windows 11. Sometimes ago,I use win10 and OBS version 27.2(?),I can use NVENC encoding.So,I think the problem may be in here? Thanks.

MetallicAllex

I have same problem.
My NVIDIA graphics card is GTX 970, the driveri is 526.86-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql,and ffmep.exe version 2022-11-03-git-5ccd4d3060-essentials_build-www.gyan.
And I can't use NVENC encoding with windows 11. Sometimes ago,I use win10 and OBS version 27.2(?),I can use NVENC encoding.So,I think the problem may be in here? Thanks.
Can you provide program logs? Maybe the logs will show the problem

Harold

HEVC support is only available on specific model, it is not available on older cards.
The standard used for streaming is h264