OBS 27.2.4 complete Crash/Freeze W11. Output drops to 0 kb/s and has to be closed via Task Manager

Jukeboxiin

A month or so after updating to OBS 27.2.4 I've been having issues where OBS randomly freezes. Game capture, camera, desktop audio, output drops to 0 kb/s all freeze though sometimes i can still see my mic picking up audio in the mixers visual GUI. When this happens i cannot close OBS normally. When pressing stop stream nothing happens as well as attempting to close it. I can only shut it down from the task manager. When this happens it doesn't generate a crash report as well as windows dosent generate an issue in anything like reliability monitor. The log file will sometimes show but not always

21:55:01.235: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] attempting to hook fullscreen process: insert game or program here
21:55:01.236: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:55:01.239: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..

Sometimes it will have something different as the last entry to the log such as a WASAPI entry.

Then it will lock up and be unable to recover. This happens extremely often now. Using OBS analyzer on the log files when this happens doesn't reveal any issues. I find this happens when switching games/ reloading games or scenes after a bit it will present the same behavior. I stream play testing games for developers and providing feedback with level design among other things on the fly and this is beginning to negatively effect my job. I test on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 on separate PCs at a devs request. This issue only happens on the Windows 11 PC.

Things ive done to troubleshoot include
- updating/reinstalling all drivers motherboard, chipset, gpu, etc
- reinstalling obs
- removing all but the bare necessities from scenes
- DDU gpu and audio drivers and trying the last 4 releases of each
- rule out any hardware issues. 12 passes of memtest for memory, 3 hours of UNIGINE Heaven for gpu, 3 hours of CINEBENCHr23. Then another 3 hour pass of Heaven and CINEBENCHr23 at the same time. Reset CMOS just to rule out any settings. Turned XMP on and off and tested memory
-removed my DAC/Preamp with no results. Reinstalled it after
-run all logs through OBS Log Analyzer

PC and OS specs include
12700KF (no overclock)
MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 Variant
16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz (Memtest with both XMP on and off to be thorough)
Asus Strix GTX 1080 (no overclock)
EVGA 850w G6
WD Blue NVME 500GB (OS drive)
2 WD black SN750 500GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Mushkin 240GB
EK 240mm AIO basic
c922 Pro webcam
Mic is just standard 3.5
SCHIIT FULLA 3 dac/preamp (uninstalled made no difference)
Windows 11 PRO up to date. (issues were before most recent update and were present before)

These issues have been happening since late April and all throughout May . I really dont know what to do anymore. I currently cannot reinstall my OS to test as i cannot have downtime on it for work. When i can migrate some dev work safely i will reinstall windows 11 but i dont think this will fix my issue. Any help or insight would be much appreciated Log file included is from when it locked up tonight.

Attachments

• 2022-05-18 21-13-45.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 47

Jukeboxiin

Still having the same issue. These are the latest logs from when it has occurred. I changed my audio sample rate on request from a OBS discord member but i havent seen any change in stability. The second file is a launch after it locked up with no stream.

Attachments

• 2022-06-24 19-14-34.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2022-06-24 20-48-27.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 15

Jukeboxiin

Happened again just now a minute and half into a test stream. Attempting to get this fixed enough for work tomorrow so started a small test stream. Same behavior as stated in original post. Log included.

Tonight i used DDU and removed my GPU drivers and updated them. Reset CMOS on my motherboard and updated my MSI z690 Tomahawk ddr4 to the latest version (7D32v13). Ran 30 min of CPU bench marking with cinbenchr23 at the same time as Unigine Heaven GPU stress test without issue as well as 2 passes of memtest86. I only did 30 min because other then OBS it had no issues before and in the original post ive already done an extensive troubleshooting list and repeated it since then.

I believe this to be an OBS issue in testing i cant create any instability without it.

Attachments

• 2022-06-25 00-12-20.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 19

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
We'd need a dump file while it's frozen to figure out what's happening.

Jukeboxiin

We'd need a dump file while it's frozen to figure out what's happening.

This is from today. I notice the audio buffering in the log. This happened in the past when i had mix matched sample rates on windows, my device and obs. After a windows update they seem to have defaulted back to factory 48000hz (Schiit Fulla 2, and Realtek USB2.0 Audio which is actually the motherboards default mic 3.5mm input. This is normal behavior on z690) while obs is still set to 44.1khz as requested by some in the OBS discord. Other then that nothing pops out to me.

I have a dump file that i hope can help. I will send it to you privately. Thank you for taking the time to look.

Attachments

• 2022-06-29 11-21-16.txt
    24.7 KB · Views: 21

Jukeboxiin

Just to add some context i think the audio buffering and drift in that log from my previous post is caused by the freeze. When it freezes it dosent close until i end it in task manager or close it and just wait. Also after it freezes i notice some things become unresponsive or unstable until it is closed. For example navigating windows or a web browser is slower then normal. In my notes for work the freeze occured around 11:21 for me. In the logs i notice that at 11:21 is when the audio buffering spikes. I think that the audio buffering is from the freeze itself and not the other way around but im unsure. Im sure that the mix matched sample rates after it defaulted my onboard audio for my mic and my dac/pre amp for my headphones did not help but i believe it would cause audio desync rather then a crash or freeze of OBS in my experience. I am no expert though and cannot be certain.

Jukeboxiin

After looking at the dump files it seems all the freezing happens in the graphics thread, where OBS is waiting on something in the Nvidia driver. Do you have HAGS enabled? If so, try to disable it: https://websiteforstudents.com/how-to-turn-on-hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-in-windows-11/

Otherwise upgrading / downgrading drivers might be worth a try.
HAGS is disabled. Today before the crash i updated NVIDIA drivers to yesterdays release 516.59 Previously was running 516.40 released on 6/6/2022. For testing purposes ive tried each driver release dating back to January with no change in OBS behavior.

With HAGS disabled should i enable it to see if any change occurs?

KCLucky

I know this is an outdated post but I will revive it again instead of doing a new one. I am having exactly the same exact issue. I did every single one of those steps that OP has mentioned. I even tried reinstalling drivers, downscaling resolution, changing settings within OBS randomly to find anything out of the ordinary.
Maybe there has been a solution found for this.