NVENC Performance Improvements (Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDoomsday

So i fixed lag frames with NVENC(new)
The layer that were cause of dropping frames is background mp4 video that was playing loops behind game capture.
Close file without activity is checked. Disabling hardware encoding didnt help me.
And if you watch something like yt video not minimized can cause frame drop too.
So now i have 1-2% lagged frames. FeelsGoodMan

Last edited:

Selphadur

Well I can try to record one. But it won't be same as streaming. And also there is no lag or frame drops, just quality is terrible.
I will record at 1080p60 9000kbits at default Max Quality preset with boxes ticked and see if there is any difference.
Will drop gdrive link

Last edited:

Selphadur

Here you go. NVENC (new) recording. Max Quality. Quality a bit better than streaming, but you can feel and see that it is really not smooth at all too. NVENC(new)recording1
Also log file attached.
The recording quality is somewhat on par with current nvidia performance preset, but way way more sluggish.
Also sorry for activate Win splash screen. MS borked my key, because hardware changed.
Update: I just noticed it is reporting that GPU is running at 420mhz 15%. I think that is untrue. I would not get such frames in Witcher 3 modded with HW on. Whoops. It showed just for me while playing video. It is not like that in the game. Sorry :D

Attachments

• 2019-01-26 22-51-49.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Selphadur

And here recording with old NVENC NVENC(old)recording1
Default preset
Same bitrate and res
High
Auto
Two pass.
Log file attached.
I see that quality is pretty much same, and also sluggishness carried over.
So probably something in the settings is messed up, because after reinstalling current official OBS over beta 9 I made it somewhat worse.
UPDATE:
Oh, wow... Now it won't even accept any mic input. Like completely ignores it. Like there is no mic. Monitoring on or off, push to talk, open mic. Any. And windows it does as it always does, when I listen to device it accepts mic input. Something is seriously messed up. Will try to completely remove OBS and any trace of it.

Attachments

• 2019-01-26 23-04-38.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Osiris

I don't really see any difference between the two, they have about the same amount of pixelation when moving around on horse through lots of vegetation.

Selphadur

That is what I am saying! NVENC old or new no difference. Even more, NVENC New is way more sluggish. Testing with clean OBS install without beta 9. And NVENC new supposed to be like Software Fast preset. It is nowhere near fast. It is barely on par with veryfast.

Bonezz

@Bonezz you seem to forget that the new nvenc works a bit differently then the old nvenc, so you can't really compare the two.
Comparing OBS to shadowplay is even more weird, shadowplay doesn't do scene compositing, so less GPU usage.
Considering that the purpose of the OBS changes and the new Nvidia Codec is to bring "better performance and quality" can you even explain to me what the purpose is then when I literally lose 10% of my GPU power? "Better performance" means literally nothing. In fact, it's even worse.

Osiris

That is what I am saying! NVENC old or new no difference. Even more, NVENC New is way more sluggish. Testing with clean OBS install without beta 9. And NVENC new supposed to be like Software Fast preset. It is nowhere near fast. It is barely on par with veryfast.

The new NVENC build is not even supposed to increase quality, the quality increase is in the Turing chip, and i'm definitely seeing that quality increase in my tests with Anthem.

Selphadur

Made couple of more tests with clean OBS install (still mic does not work for some reason in OBS).
Here is NVENC OBS 22.0.2
Default Preset
1080p60
Two Pass On
9000kbits
High
Auto
NVENC(old)recording2
And also a test with x264
VeryFast Preset
High
Same bitrate, res and fps
x264VeryFastRecording1
Both look similar. VeryFast looks a bit better on some angles, and a bit worse on others. As you can see both look almost same as with new NVENC beta 9.
It seems Beta 9 does not give any benefit to RTX 2080 I am using.
And one more thing. Look at usage. See anything weird? I do. Look at GPU mem usage. While using NVENC encoder it drops to 7500Mhz when it enters P0 state mode. In main menu it is 7700mhz as it shoul.
No such thing happens while using x264 encoder.

Osiris

Made couple of more tests with clean OBS install (still mic does not work for some reason in OBS).
Here is NVENC OBS 22.0.2
Default Preset
1080p60
Two Pass On
9000kbits
High
Auto
NVENC(old)recording2
And also a test with x264
VeryFast Preset
High
Same bitrate, res and fps
x264VeryFastRecording1
Both look similar. VeryFast looks a bit better on some angles, and a bit worse on others. As you can see both look almost same as with new NVENC beta 9.
It seems Beta 9 does not give any benefit to RTX 2080 I am using.
And one more thing. Look at usage. See anything weird? I do. Look at GPU mem usage. While using NVENC encoder it drops to 7500Mhz when it enters P0 state mode. In main menu it is 7700mhz as it shoul.
No such thing happens while using x264 encoder.

The x264 veryfast recording looks slightly more pixelated then the nvenc new and old recording to me, the differences in lighting might also change the perception of quality. But as I said, this nvenc beta is not about quality (other then mayb some theoretical quality increase by using 2 new parameters), it is about a bit better performance.

Considering that the purpose of the OBS changes and the new Nvidia Codec is to bring "better performance and quality" can you even explain to me what the purpose is then when I literally lose 10% of my GPU power? "Better performance" means literally nothing. In fact, it's even worse.

Not sure where you are getting this 10% from, but on my tests with Anthem, OBS used only a few percent of the 3D engine and about 15% of the encoder, I did have to cap the FPS at 60 though but I also have to do that with any encoder in OBS. Though as per a Nvidia person on our Discord, they filed a bug report to the MS DirectX team, there is apparently some kind of issue when there is a high amount of GPU usage, which could cause excessive performance issues with the new encoder

Last edited:

Selphadur

I see. I was hoping for quality as Nvidia boasted about it. I thought it was using some sort of encoder similar to OBS'. Well I guess I will stick with stable version for now as it runs superb. Thank you for your time!
P.S. I thought Nvidia was using OBS in their comparisions. But to me it looks all the same as it was on my GTX 1080.

Last edited:

Overflow

The new NVENC build is not even supposed to increase quality, the quality increase is in the Turing chip, and i'm definitely seeing that quality increase in my tests with Anthem.
So we can see quality improvements even with the stable version of OBS because is all in the Turing chip? The beta only do minor impact on the GPU?

Osiris

So we can see quality improvements even with the stable version of OBS because is all in the Turing chip? The beta only do minor impact on the GPU?

Correct, quality-wise the new nvenc shouldn't be any different from the old nvenc encoder at the same settings (on the same GPU).

SvenAnd3rs

i try it to with Anthem and i must say the different is big. with the normal Nvenc and the New Nvenc for the last test i use cpu codec to see how big is the different and nvidia say the new one is like Medium codec but its sure not veryfast i woud say. but i must say it Runs Smooth and with no Problems on my 2080TI.

Overflow

Correct, quality-wise the new nvenc shouldn't be any different from the old nvenc encoder at the same settings (on the same GPU).
But the stable versione of OBS doesnt have Psycho Visual Tuning and Look-ahead so, this 2 options arent for quality improvements? Only for impact?

Osiris

But the stable versione of OBS doesnt have Psycho Visual Tuning and Look-ahead so, this 2 options arent for quality improvements? Only for impact?
That's why I mentioned "at the same settings", the settings you mention aren't Turing specific though.

Vraelon

Greetings everyone,
Just got RTX 2080 and started testing OBS. Performance was great on current build and quality was ok (usual nvenc). So decided to test new rtx beta 9 build. Copied files from zip to OBS folder, launched. It runs ok. But. There is but. That is why I decided to create account and post here. The quality. Oh... It is terrible! Worse than software ultrafast! No matter what quality preset (tested quality and max quality), psycho tuning on and off, look ahead on and off. I can stream 4k60 fps now with current OBS build at 51k bitrate no problemo. But beta build. Wow. I expected at least somewhat better than current build. Here are my specs (also no dropped frames, no frame lag, no dropped (network) frames, frametime around 0.5-1ms):
Win 10 Pro Newest Build fresh install (installed two days ago).
Newest Nvidia drivers
9600k CPU clocked at 4.7Ghz (watercooled)
16gigs ddr4 dual channel Corsair 14CL 2400mhz ram
256gig nvme, 500gig ssd, 256gig ssd
MSI RTX 2080 DUKE clocked at ~1900 core (stock) and 15ghz mem clock
GPU usage around 65% while streaming
If you need something else let me know!
Maybe there is some kind of a glitch.
Thank you!
Update:
Tried Max Performance (With same settings as above, meaning 1080p60 9000kbits, psycho and la on) and what do you think? Quality is same as Max Quality or Quality preset! Even worse usage is higher and it introduces some microstutter in game!
I also had problems with 4K60P on this build, when I commented on it Osiris told me that the max bitrate is locked to ~40mbps. Thats why you are getting low quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.