NVENC Performance Improvements (Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

risingSilence

Hey guys,

I am currently thinking about upgrading from a 1080 to a 2080 or 2080ti and selling my dedicated streaming pc.
But I am only willing to do that if the RTX NVENC chip can handle recording in performance mode or better in 1440p60 and simultaneously streaming 1080p60 in Max Quality Mode (high profile).

Is that achievable? Would love it if someone could test that.

LiaNdrY

Hey all. Nice improvements on the Nvenc, especially for those who game and stream on the same GPU. I have seen plenty bad streams turned out to pretty good quality with a 1070.

I have been running NDI out to a 1080/Ryzen 7 streamer box and usually running x264 medium. Been trying the new Nvenc for a week or so now. What is the absolute max quality settings we can set for Twitch?, cause i'd like to see how far we can take the previous gen GPU's. Haven't tried RTX to stream yet though.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to squeeze the maximum encoding quality from nvenc, obs developers do not allow us to do this by limiting the choice of NVENC encoding settings.

Osiris

Unfortunately, you will not be able to squeeze the maximum encoding quality from nvenc, obs developers do not allow us to do this by limiting the choice of NVENC encoding settings.

You are making it sound like this is being done out of spite or something. We can't just add all kinds of options that will confuse users (some already mess things up with the limited set of options available), besides the top priority is to make sure the new nvenc encoder is stable, exposing other advanced settings can come at a later time.

LiaNdrY

You are making it sound like this is being done out of spite or something. We can't just add all kinds of options that will confuse users (some already mess things up with the limited set of options available), besides the top priority is to make sure the new nvenc encoder is stable, exposing other advanced settings can come at a later time.
So you and in the old version it was not. Make the same command line as in x264, which will support all the features of nvenc, it will definitely not embarrass anyone from the users.

Osiris

So you and in the old version it was not. Make the same command line as in x264, which will support all the features of nvenc, it will definitely not embarrass anyone from the users.

x264 has support for parameters like that, you cannot pass parameters to NVENC in the same way as you can with x264 or ffmpeg. And since the new NVENC encoder does not use ffmpeg, there is no way to pass any kind of arguments to it, unless you create such a system yourself, which is not a priority atm. Any setting in the new nvenc encoder will need to be explicitly exposed in the UI.

Also there are not a lot of people that ever asked for using advanced settings with NVENC, so therefore it wasn't made possible in the old NVENC encoder either.

Last edited:

LiaNdrY

x264 has support for parameters like that, you cannot pass parameters to NVENC in the same way as you can with x264 or ffmpeg. And since the new NVENC encoder does not use ffmpeg, there is no way to pass any kind of arguments to it, unless you create such a system yourself, which is not a priority atm. Any setting in the new nvenc encoder will need to be explicitly exposed in the UI.

Also there are not a lot of people that ever asked for using advanced settings with NVENC, so therefore it wasn't made possible in the old NVENC encoder either.
The fact that most users did not ask, does not mean that they did not want it. Not everyone can express themselves for different reasons. Someone shy, someone does not know where to ask, someone thinks that nothing will change from his request. (it's like going to the presidential elections, they say, why would I go, they have already decided everything for me, or my vote will not change anything).

Therefore, comrade developers, I ask, on behalf of all the enthusiastic users of your OBS software, to add the maximum potential of encoding settings for NVENC to your application.

Thanks to the NVENC API, this is quite feasible, so we ask you to create a similar feature in the new version, and if the old version is also available, then in it too (so as not to deprive all users).

Thanks!

Osiris

The fact that most users did not ask, does not mean that they did not want it. Not everyone can express themselves for different reasons. Someone shy, someone does not know where to ask, someone thinks that nothing will change from his request. (it's like going to the presidential elections, they say, why would I go, they have already decided everything for me, or my vote will not change anything).

Therefore, comrade developers, I ask, on behalf of all the enthusiastic users of your OBS software, to add the maximum potential of encoding settings for NVENC to your application.

Thanks to the NVENC API, this is quite feasible, so we ask you to create a similar feature in the new version, and if the old version is also available, then in it too (so as not to deprive all users).

Thanks!

It's not going to be a priority.

Belmethos

Hi All,

I just registered to remind you not all users of OBS is registered here and doesnt give feedback to the developers so assuming we dont need the extra NVENC settings seems little bit off.

I personally need the extra settings because i stream at twitch , and max bitrate i can stream is 2000 . I would pay premium for a better internet but it simply doesnt exists. So i have an elgato hd60 and dual pc setup , i have to get max quality with limited upload rate. I have the computing power but need extra settings to be able to get most of my limitations. So not everybody does stream from a single PC with 6000 bitrate with 1080ti...

Synflood

Please tell me what settings in this OBS need to be put for maximum stream quality on twitch in 1080p60. 2080ti video card

risingSilence

Hey guys,

I am currently thinking about upgrading from a 1080 to a 2080 or 2080ti and selling my dedicated streaming pc.
But I am only willing to do that if the RTX NVENC chip can handle recording in performance mode or better in 1440p60 and simultaneously streaming 1080p60 in Max Quality Mode (high profile).

Is that achievable? Would love it if someone could test that.

Would love if someone could figure that out for me, it's the buy or not buy criterium for me :D

jellysandwich

Would love if someone could figure that out for me, it's the buy or not buy criterium for me :D

Currently you can't set the resolution in the output tab, only in the video tab - meaning streaming and recording will have to be the same resolution. Not sure if this is a bug or limitation

Gianluca Leal

Thanks!
Hi All,

I just registered to remind you not all users of OBS is registered here and doesnt give feedback to the developers so assuming we dont need the extra NVENC settings seems little bit off.

I personally need the extra settings because i stream at twitch , and max bitrate i can stream is 2000 . I would pay premium for a better internet but it simply doesnt exists. So i have an elgato hd60 and dual pc setup , i have to get max quality with limited upload rate. I have the computing power but need extra settings to be able to get most of my limitations. So not everybody does stream from a single PC with 6000 bitrate with 1080ti...

I highly agree with LiaNdrY.

Most users aren't even aware that more settings exist under the hood for x264, let alone NVENC. The amount of power you're able to achieve with x264's additional flags can be staggering in the hands of an expert. I've spent an uncountable amount of hours fine tuning my own in an RTMP server I had streamed with for a few months. Being given the option to use this additional features within NVENC is something I've been waiting for, for a long time.

You mentioning not adding complexity to NVENC to not confuse users, yet your AMD's encoder implementation has the massive amounts of depth me and other users are requesting. What is different about NVENC that you want to keep it simple, but AMD's fully featured and complicated?
37625301-ae4c6c8a-2bcb-11e8-999b-acaa6a972d20.jpg

Mike321

Most users aren't even aware that more settings exist under the hood for x264, let alone NVENC. The amount of power you're able to achieve with x264's additional flags can be staggering in the hands of an expert. I've spent an uncountable amount of hours fine tuning my own in an RTMP server I had streamed with for a few months. Being given the option to use this additional features within NVENC is something I've been waiting for, for a long time.

You mentioning not adding complexity to NVENC to not confuse users, yet your AMD's encoder implementation has the massive amounts of depth me and other users are requesting. What is different about NVENC that you want to keep it simple, but AMD's fully featured and complicated?
View attachment 42520

As an beginner/average obs user, all that shit is super confusing lol.

DIRTY CES

I looked for the log yesterday , It was from 1/17/19 and it must have deleted it because it only had logs from the 1/20/19. So I guess in a couple of days I'll do an unlisted stream on youtube and paste the log when I'm done. How many minutes should it be ?

Also that sucks that YouTube re-encodes the streams. It looks really bad, But twitch and mixer are fine.

Please tell me what settings in this OBS need to be put for maximum stream quality on twitch in 1080p60. 2080ti video card
From what i have seen, go for max quality and 900p @ the max bitrate you can, but at least 6000. 1080p with 6000 bitrate looks awful in fps games, even at the highest quality with NVENC. That's a limitation mostly at twitch, not OBS. But 900p is just about at the limit for looking good at 6000 bits. The blocks you see in the sky in PUBG at 1080p is awful.

risingSilence

Currently you can't set the resolution in the output tab, only in the video tab - meaning streaming and recording will have to be the same resolution. Not sure if this is a bug or limitation

My streaming rig currently records via NVENC (it has a 960 in it) in 1440p60 and streams in 1080p60 via x264 (Rescale Output in Output/Recording Menu). This also works with the new build.

Osiris

View attachment 42520

The AMD encoder was made entirely by a contributor and it was his decision to make it like that. But all those settings there are confusing to users, which is why they are not shown by default. Sure, something like that could be done for NVENC, but I doubt it will be a high priority thing.

SneakyAzShiite

Last I heard, it will not. You will still be able to do this with the old NVENC implementation, which uses FFmpeg (which is what does the rescaling).
To just touch on this topic again since I am ignorant on the technical details. I have an RTX 2060 on the way and plan to use the new encoder for streaming. I record at 1080p and stream at 720p/60fps because nonpartner.
1) Is it impossible for this ability (rescaling stream while recording at a differing resolution) to be added to new nvenc due to limitations or is just not a priority?
Just trying to think of a setup where this is possible with only using OBS instead of running additional software to record. Looking forward to testing the new encoder once my card gets here ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.