Bug Report NVENC micro stutters on two different systems for over 2 years now.

Ryfek

Same thing as before. For most of the time it's smooth, but sometimes it starts to duplicate frames for a while. Did it on the GTX 1660 PC with a single monitor set to 60 Hz.

pixeltwitch

Don't worry mate, ur not crazy I been reading and watching threads for YEARS hoping to see this addressed. I myself have tested on over a dozen systems at this point.

Also them new glitches you are seeing appear to be the New Nvenc
https://snag.gy/Gz7Erb.jpg

Ryfek

Few months later, few driver updates later and I still have to record in 120 FPS for smooth 60 FPS playback. I really don't care at this point it's just that my videos take 2 times more space. As a YouTuber I just stopped recommending NVIDIA cards over capture cards because of this bugs.

Neblinio

Hey. I bought a GTX 1660 Ti a few months ago and I've also been experiencing micro stutters when streaming/recording using nvenc. After reading forums and searching for days or even weeks, I decided to give up. I even tried Nvidia Share (GeForce Experience), but it had the same stuttering.

But today, just testing out of curiosity, I think I found the possible cause and its solution: frametime variance seems to be the cause, and the solution is RTSS (RivaTuner Statistics Server) FPS cap.

I've only tested recording League of Legends, but it worked for me, fixing all the micro stutter. It seems nvenc is extremely sensible to frametime variance when recording, so anything different than a perfectly stable frametime will cause stutter in your recording. You can check this by enabling RTSS's frametime history overlay and comparing in-game FPS cap with RTSS's one. In my case, LoL's built in FPS cap had a very slight frametime variance (unnoticeable for human eye, but present in the graph), and RTSS's cap showed a perfect straight line all the time. So I had to test recording with RTSS FPS cap enabled, and voila!

tl;dr: just cap your FPS to 60 or 120 (maybe 180/240 works too?) using RTSS, and disable in-game FPS cap.

My setup has a 144 Hz FreeSync monitor + Nvidia Control Panel vsync (only works <144 FPS, you can read blurbusters website to know more about this), but I guess it works the same without variable refresh rate.

Let me know if it helps.

EDIT: strangely enough, at least for LoL, I think you actually need to enable both in-game FPS cap and RTSS's. I only managed to record stutter-free videos with both cap methods on. I had success with a 60 FPS cap and 120 FPS. My OBS (version 24.0.1) was set to record video at 60 FPS.

Last edited:

Ryfek

I've just bought a new GPU - AMD 5700 XT. After a clean Windows install guess what happened? OBS Studio STILL DUPLICATES FRAMES. It's unbelivable. What is better - it duplicates frames even when recording with my CPU which did not happen before! At least I've found a solution - now I record using Streamlabs OBS. I can't tweak options as much as in OBS Studio but at least it works properly. I'm seriously out of options on this one. What did I do wrong after installing GPU drivers, OBS (in which I did not tweak almost any options) and a game to record? And yeah, te solution from the guy above didn't work, I've tried it several times years ago. It lags on both my PCs even after reinstalling Windows, I'm done with this software.

D

Deleted member 121471

I've just bought a new GPU - AMD 5700 XT. After a clean Windows install guess what happened? OBS Studio STILL DUPLICATES FRAMES. It's unbelivable. What is better - it duplicates frames even when recording with my CPU which did not happen before! At least I've found a solution - now I record using Streamlabs OBS. I can't tweak options as much as in OBS Studio but at least it works properly. I'm seriously out of options on this one. What did I do wrong after installing GPU drivers, OBS (in which I did not tweak almost any options) and a game to record? And yeah, te solution from the guy above didn't work, I've tried it several times years ago. It lags on both my PCs even after reinstalling Windows, I'm done with this software.

If it works with the game you are capturing, create a game profile in your AMD control panel and use Radeon Chill, with min and max values set to 60 or 120, depending on the game and if you can maintain said FPS stable. I found it to be the most reliable way to cap frames with AMD hardware, since I think it simulates a CPU bottleneck or, at least, it behaves in the same way.

Ryfek

When I said "it does not work" I didn'y mean that it does not cap the fps. I've done that multiple times with in-game options, with RIVA, with Wattman. It's just that it does not help with eliminating the duplicated frames, becouse OBS still duplicates them.

desanite

So no one has found a working solution?
I finally fixed my issue after years. it seems to be an issue with b frames, try setting B frames to 0. I saw somewhere someone say that Nvidia Pascal doesn't support B frames and that seems to be true. Might be just a bug, idk tho. I say that it doesn't support it with HEVC