NVEnc Feedback thread (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BtbN

Software encoding does not profit at all from changing your GPU, it depends on the CPU alone, or what do you mean?

Boildown

I run two instances of OBS, one for local recording at a high bitrate and full resolution, and the other for streaming to Twitch. I tried using NVENC on the local capture to free up the CPU to run the stream to Twitch at a higher quality setting, but it turned out that it didn't actually allow me to do that.

Boildown said:
I run two instances of OBS, one for local recording at a high bitrate and full resolution, and the other for streaming to Twitch. I tried using NVENC on the local capture to free up the CPU to run the stream to Twitch at a higher quality setting, but it turned out that it didn't actually allow me to do that.
this is absolutely brilliant and don't know why i didn't think of this. The last test build i tried still didn't have the ability to do local recording only though, i had to click "start stream" and then click "stop stream" and the local recording would keep going for when I want to do a local recording only. Is local recording only available now in the latest dev build?

I also see now that utilizing an nvidia gtx 760 is supported for offloading the encoding from the cpu onto the gpu. how does this affect my gaming though? I ask because I had tried using intel quick sync when I was gaming on my i5-4670k BUT it made the game go from 30fps to only 20fps. so OBS was using the igpu for encoding BUT it took so much away from the igpu that it made the game perofmance suffer. Will i still be able to game at 1080p@60 with my gtx 760 AND encode using it with a really high bitrate?

Boildown

ubuntuaddicted said:
this is absolutely brilliant and don't know why i didn't think of this. The last test build i tried still didn't have the ability to do local recording only though, i had to click "start stream" and then click "stop stream" and the local recording would keep going for when I want to do a local recording only. Is local recording only available now in the latest dev build?
We've been able to run two (or more) OBS instances for as far back as I've tracked the project closely. You need to use a -multi switch on the command (target) line, try a forum search for more info. You can absolutely choose to stream only or save to disk only, but that isn't new to the .60 version, just the buttons on the front. Since I was running two OBS instances this doesn't affect me, in essence I was already doing it, but its been available since the beginning as far as I know.

ubuntuaddicted said:
I also see now that utilizing an nvidia gtx 760 is supported for offloading the encoding from the cpu onto the gpu. how does this affect my gaming though? I ask because I had tried using intel quick sync when I was gaming on my i5-4670k BUT it made the game go from 30fps to only 20fps. so OBS was using the igpu for encoding BUT it took so much away from the igpu that it made the game perofmance suffer. Will i still be able to game at 1080p@60 with my gtx 760 AND encode using it with a really high bitrate?
Almost certainly you can at least use NVENC to capture to disk as you say, the impact of NVENC is minimal, and with a high bitrate, the image fidelity is very nice. This is right in NVENC's wheelhouse, as it were.

Boildown

Boildown said:
I'm thinking of getting a GTX750Ti, on the Maxwell chip, when it comes out on Tuesday, depending on how well its reviewed. And especially if the NVENC encoder on it is improved (like the Quicksync was improved going from Sandy > Ivy > Haswell).

Well I guessed right, I think. Multiple reviews and an Nvidia employee are saying that the NVENC is improved in Maxwell over Kepler, saying its now "1.5 to 2 times faster" for realtime encoding. Now that doesn't necessarily mean its better for our purposes, for all I know they added a "super high performance" preset that lowers the quality even more and is that much faster, which would be worthless to us (unless maybe if you wanted to capture 120fps). There are three factors to encoding, so just giving one of those and saying "its faster" is meaningless, as there's still two unknowns.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the- ... -maxwell/2

If the High Quality preset is now 2x faster and I can capture 1080p60 without duplicating frames, I'll be quite pleased, so I'm probably going to go ahead and get one of those GTX 750 Tis and find out if its true or not.

Edit: Reviews look good, so went ahead and ordered this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814487024 .

Feels odd replacing my 560Ti with this, as the 560Ti is far faster. But also 3x the TDP and quite noisy, and its no longer my gaming machine. As long this 750Ti can software capture as well as the 560Ti, I'll be satisfied, NVENC will be a nice bonus.

Boildown

The brand new out of the box smell of the EVGA 750 Ti OC is overwhelming, it just arrived earlier today from UPS / Newegg. I've spent the last two hours benchmarking it, and I was super excited with its performance until I put my 560Ti back in as the control and found that my five minute test video wasn't pushing the encoder nearly as much as even a below average playsession of Planetside 2. That makes my benchmarks worthless and since the servers are back up, I'm just going to give it a live test.

Calv101

Xphome said:
Calv101 said:
Can someone update the links for the .dll, as they dont seem to work?
The DLLs are not needed with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Oh i see, i just getting to grips with the understanding of nvenc, its just that earlier comments talked about black screen with it enabled on not with out it enabled and i am having this issue.

Boildown

By the way, with the latest drivers (non-beta even) my 750Ti was getting encoding performance indistinguishable from my 560Ti in actual game recording+streaming. Which is good because the 750Ti is slower, but since this is supposed to be CPU bound, it shouldn't matter (and it doesn't). That was x264-only. Tonight I'll try NVENC with the new and improved Maxwell chip.

Edit: I captured 1080p60 to disk on High Quality with only 0.20% duplicated frames. On the GT630 I couldn't achieve that without using High Performance mode.

dandruff

Hey guys, I've been all over the forums watching your progress with NVEnc. I've finally got a GTX 750 to start using (hopefully in tandem with AMD 7970, but I haven't gotten that far yet). I just wanted to say thank you for the work that you guys put into it! It works extremely well on my end. The quality is arguably (even if insignificantly) worse, but you would be hard pressed to see it. Other than that, I have no complaints and the my CPU can finally rest when I stream (I was very close to 80% before, now its around 5%).

I am still extremely interested in Nvidia's NVFBC and NVIFR as from what I understand, gives you better performance when reading back frames from the front buffer. Thanks again guys and you can expect some $$ from me.

Boildown

Using a GTX 750Ti, I just did a 3+ hour Planetside 2 capture and stream using two instances of OBS. NVENC at 20k/20k bitrate/buffer on High Quality preset capture to disk: 0.18% duplicated frames. And simultaneously streamed x264 3000/2000 bitrate/buffer on Medium preset to Twitch: 0.17% duplicated frames. On an i7 2600k OCed to 4.3Mhz.

That is far better than I could do with x264 on both OBS instances, or using the GT630 to do the NVENC. And I'm not even done tweaking it yet.

Exchequer

Ok I cannot get this working.

I am using v0.612b with Nvidia 331.21. When I try to stream I get OBS requesting the dll file. Unfortunately the .dll links have been removed (!).

When I update to Nvidia 334.89 OBS says my hardware does not support Nvenc and is greys out the nvenc options. Also this driver is known to cause some issues so I would rather not use it.I personally rolled back to the previous driver, regardless of OBS, because I got some weird game errors.

Hardware is 2500k+660Ti and Windows 7 x64.

Exchequer

Update: New OBS says you need at least 334.xx. So I updated to latest WHQL=335.23 and NVENC support is no longer visible in OBS (0.613b).

Striketh

Just wanted to stop in and give some feedback on NVEnc. First of all, I've been running it for my latest captures at 20kb/s bitrate with 0 buffer and thus far it's been pretty great. I'm running an i7 4770k with SSD's, a Geforce 670 GTX and 16 GB of RAM so I don't really -need- to use NVEnc, but it's always nice to find alternatives for when my hardware becomes dated.

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far. Aside from one issue I ran across where it said that the encoder wasn't available after stopping and starting local recording (this only occurred once) it's been pretty smooth. The only issue I've been having is that I've been experiencing crashing issues with OBS (currently on 0.613b) sometimes when I'm stopping a local recording. I'm not sure what causes it, but most of the time it's smooth; other times it just stops responding, crashes and then I have to restart OBS. This has only been occurring since I started using NVEnc.

FYI I'm also on the latest Nvidia drivers.

The crashing is pretty minor as it's never happened while I've been in the middle of recording, so it hasn't had a truly negative impact on that aspect. I'm really happy with the way OBS is going and I hope to see it continue to improve.

Hajimoto

Getting Encoder Initialization falure ever since Nvidia Shadowplay 2.0 release which required Nvidia Beta Driver 337.50. Anyone else having this issue?

Boildown

I assumed "NVEnc Feedback thread" was the right place to ask this :(

Thanks for the proper redirect

This is a fine place too, although I'm not a mod, at least it seems like so. I was just pointing you and future visitors to this thread to the place with more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.