Nvenc error Nvidia 4080. Worked before.

neuromask

Hi,

OBS worked like a charm with Envenc encoding, but someday it stopped.

I'm getting this kind of error on recording/streaming:
08:57:59.402: [jim-nvenc] get_encoded_packet: nv.nvEncLockBitstream(s, &lock) failed: 4 (NV_ENC_ERR_INVALID_DEVICE): Device passed to the API is invalid.
It happens when I stop recording video driver restarts and the screen blinks few times.

Setup:
- Windows 11 with the latest updates
- Latest Nvidia drivers
- Single monitor

What I have tried:
- Clean Windows 11 install
- Different drivers from the 2023 year (when I had it working) with DDU removal
- No hardware was changed in the PC

Hope for your help!

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2023-10-04 08-56-56.txt
    11.8 KB · Views: 20

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Unfortunately if the driver / GPU resets, any encode sessions become invalid. You should investigate what is causing the resets as under normal operation a GPU should not need to be reset. HAGS, old drivers, other 3D applications, overheating, faulty hardware, etc.

neuromask

Thanks for
Unfortunately if the driver / GPU resets, any encode sessions become invalid. You should investigate what is causing the resets as under normal operation a GPU should not need to be reset. HAGS, old drivers, other 3D applications, overheating, faulty hardware, etc.
Thanks for your answer.

Regarding causes:
HAGS - tried to enable/disable
old drivers - tried many, even those that worked for sure before
other 3D applications - clean Windows install didn't help
overheating - temps are ok
faulty hardware - this one left, but since Envenc functionality is on on the same GPU chip, can it be faulty? Games, benchmarks, and stress tests are ok.

Can I somehow investigate/diagnose if Envenc GPU part is faulty and I can return the card under warranty?