NVENC error NV_ENC_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_PARAM on RTX2060 (TU106M)

Planlos

Hello dear forum,

I am not able to get my NVENC running.
Maybe someone had the same issue and could provide a solution.

Every time I try to start recording or streaming with Nvidia NVENC H.264 (new), I'll get attached error message.

OBS_Studio_NVENC.png

In logfile OBS Studio first says: "NVENC supported", then later:

15:54:58.422: [jim-nvenc] init_encoder: nvEncGetEncodePresetConfig failed: 12 (NV_ENC_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_PARAM)
15:54:58.431: ---------------------------------
15:54:58.431: [NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] settings:
15:54:58.431: rate_control: CQP
15:54:58.431: bitrate: 0
15:54:58.431: cqp: 20
15:54:58.431: keyint: 60
15:54:58.431: preset: hq
15:54:58.431: profile: high
15:54:58.431: width: 1920
15:54:58.431: height: 1080
15:54:58.431: 2-pass: false
15:54:58.431: b-frames: 2
15:54:58.431: GPU: 0
15:54:58.431:
15:54:58.561: fatal: No NVENC capable devices found
15:54:58.561: [NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] Failed to open NVENC codec: Generic error in an external library

More details can be found here: https://obsproject.com/logs/QDtEoWCMnHOOAFCW

My notebook (Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H) is runnung a RTX2060 (Chipset TU106M) which should be capable of NVENC.

What I did so far:
  • Fresh Windows 10 installation (including all patches, fixes, etc)
  • Clean GPU driver installation
  • Both with Game Ready and also Studio drivers
  • Tried hybrid and discrete graphic card mode (discrete=only the RTX2060 is activated)
Within OBS Studio:
Unfortunately every time with the same result, this error.
Software x264 and H264/AVC AMD are working without issues.
Do I miss something or did something wrong?

Cheers
Planlos

Planlos

Problem solved!

The new firmware caused the issue!
Did a downgrade to FSCN13WW and everything works again!

So if someone with a Lenovo Legion 5 - 15ARH05H is struggling with the same issue, it's worth to have a look onto your BIOS FW version and maybe do a downgrade.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Check your exact hardware type against the listed in the Updater-Software!

Direct link to this version: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/fscn13ww.exe

Tophey

Hi! I have the same laptop as you except it’s the 1660 Ti and I have the same problem as you. As I saw you’ve fixed your issue and maybe you could help me fix mine?

Planlos

Hi!
Sure:
  1. Enter the BIOS, press F2 repeatedly direct after you turned on your notebook. If you have hotkey mode on, you may need to mash FN+F2
  2. Navigate to the page with Bios Backflash. Enable that.
  3. Save and Reset with F10
  4. Download and run the file linked above
  5. Flash the new bios
Be sure to use the correct BIOS File and check yout hardware against the ones listed in the Update.
That's all :)

Planlos

Nope, just the downgrade enabled in BIOS (Backflash) and the exe to execute.
After starting the Program it reboots by itself and flashes the firmware. No manual interaction or USB stick needed.

Tophey

Alright, so the file you linked is that the same file i need to download? I have the Legion 5 15ARH05H. Ryzen 7 4800H and 1660 Ti. Sorry im not very good at computers, but just want to make sure because I dont want to mess anything up

Planlos

That's the file you need, correct. I have the same type but instead of 1660 Ti the RTX2060. But the File does not make any differences between GFX. Model Number is important and these are the same.

Planlos

Correct, download and execute the file. After the usual "next" klickings it will install the firmware automatically by rebooting the machine.
Just be sure to have charged the battery full and that the machine is connected to the power supply.

Planlos

Cool! Great to hear that!
Just figured out, that maybe the Windows Update routine could reinstall the broken 18 version.
If this happens you can roll back with the already known procedure but before you need to delete the 18 firmware file for the windows update:
Under C:\Windows\firmware will be one folder with a very long numeric name (like "{364754-4874848-4434...}"). Within one of this the BIOS firmware files are stored "fscnXXww.bin". Just move the "fscn18ww.bin" to another location out of this folder and then make the downgrade.
So beware for Windows Driver Updates within the normal Windows Update with Lenovo Firmware 1.18.0.0 or such a name. Do not Install this. :)

Haenir

Hi, I have the same error on my Legion 5 Pro. The BIOS firmware you linked is not compatible with mine. I cannot seem to find a solution. Do you have any idea of what would help?

Planlos

Maybe this could help you to obtain the older firmware file:
Then it should look like this (with other values off course):
1618073178116.png

Now the try and error begins:
  • Copy the link of the BIOS Update file on the right to the clipboard (right click on the download icon, Copy link address)
  • Paste it into a new browser tab
  • Change the number within the filename (in my example 18) to a lower one. I used 13 or 15.
  • Hit enter and hopefully there is an older file to download.
If so: proceed in the documented way above.
If not: try another number.

Haenir

Maybe this could help you to obtain the older firmware file:
Then it should look like this (with other values off course):
View attachment 69875

Now the try and error begins:
  • Copy the link of the BIOS Update file on the right to the clipboard (right click on the download icon, Copy link address)
  • Paste it into a new browser tab
  • Change the number within the filename (in my example 18) to a lower one. I used 13 or 15.
  • Hit enter and hopefully there is an older file to download.
If so: proceed in the documented way above.
If not: try another number.

Hi, thank you so much for the reply, I did end up finding an earlier version of the BIOS but even after downgrading the issue wasn't fixed. :(

Kakasheesh

I'm currently experiencing the same issue but I don't know much regarding the Bios stuff. Should I just follow your instructions or is it too risky for a newbie like me? I'm afraid I might mess something up. Maybe I'll just seek professional help or wait for Lenovo to fix the problem.