Question / Help Noise when using XRGB color format

YoYoMaster64

Hi, I searched around for anything relating to this issue before posting this and I couldn't find anything. I'm getting a bunch of noise all throughout the footage when using XRGB in the properties of my video capture device in OBS. I will attach screenshots of all my settings as well as a video demonstrating the issue. I have tried every combination of settings I can come up with to no avail. I'm purposely avoiding the other video formats (NV12, YUY2, YV12) because they don't look nearly as good to my keen eyes. They drop color data and it's very noticeable on saturated colors. XRGB doesn't drop any color data and looks the best but, I get this noise issue. So if you have any information that might help with this issue, please let me know.

FYI:
Capture card: Elgato 4k60 pro mk2
OBS version: 25.0.4 (not streamlabs version but, it does have the same issue)
Video card: GTX 980ti 3x OC Edition from Gigabyte
CPU: i5 9600k @ 4.2ghz
Monitors: 1 Samsung 24inch 1080p60, 1 BenQ 24inch 1080p144, and 1 32inch Dell 1080p60

Zip was too big so here's a Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tgt6y8fUaSjcYrIYm_g-a4K8A120yIma
Current log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/4hC0gcwO9maipXoy

YoYoMaster64

That document was full of a lot of information that's good to know but nothing that really helped with this issue because my specific capture card is not in there. He tests the original 4k60 Pro, not the 4k60 Pro mk2 which is what I have.

However, I did some more digging and stumbled upon a reddit post from a month ago that complained of different issue but linked a driver. This driver happens to be the same exact driver that is up currently on Elgato's website (as of 4/16/2020, version 1.1.0.187.2). I tried this driver before creating this thread but when I went to install it, it popped up a notification saying that I had a more recent driver installed and asked if I wanted to install this older one anyway. I said no because I figured that newer is better. HOWEVER, since this reddit post claimed that this driver solved his problem, I thought I'd try it anyway. Turns out it fixed the noise problem I was having and now it works perfectly.

Very strange because the only driver I've ever installed was when I first installed the card into my PC around the beginning of February. I don't think the driver I had was newer. I think their program for checking the installed driver is faulty.

Here's a link to Elgato's site if somebody needs the most recent driver.

Here's a link to the specific driver that I downloaded, version 1.1.0.187.2, in case Elgato breaks things in the future.

Sukiyucky

Did you catch this part?

" Notes on RGB Color Space
Also I wanted to point out that current drivers for Elgato capture cards may show XRGB/RGB modes in OBS Studio - however these are not real. They’re emulated (or simulated?) from the 4:2:0 color space that those devices primarily operate in. Using them may result in a solid color screen, washed out view, or just add more resource load to your system as the driver is taking the 4:2:0 color feed and converting it to the emulated RGB mode and then OBS has to convert it back to NV12 for your stream. Elgato does not recommend using these modes and neither do I. "

YoYoMaster64

I did, and I couldn't find any information from Elgato themselves to back this up. That post hasn't been updated since March of 2019, over a year ago. So since the information pertains to current events as of March 2019, I don't think it's wise to accept that it still holds true.

YT-BrianPardee

Hello,
Bringing this thread back up a little bit -- sorry. :) I spent the last two hours searching for an answer as to why I was having this same issue OP. I have even tried finding the reddit post mentioned but I haven't come across it. This thread literally is the only solution I've come across, so I'm bringing it back up in case anyone else is having this issue. The 4K60Pro Mk2 is the only relatively "cheap" capture card I've found which supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling capture and not just passthrough, so I think this thread may be valuable to someone else in the future.

I was on the most recent driver,1.1.0.190.0, as of 10/2/2020, and this issue has still not been fixed. I tried different cables and everything. I can also confirm on my end that reverting back to 1.1.0.187.2 resolves the video noise issue. I've even tried looking at the differences between the drivers and don't notice particularly huge differences in the inf files, so something is probably different in the hex files, of which I do not know how to compare.

I've sent all this information to Elgato's help as well as tweeted at their ElgatoSupport twitter. I'm hoping there is a fix eventually so I'm not locked out of any future fixes or new features from more recent drivers than 1.1.0.187.2.

Attaching an image to show the video noise issue in case you don't want to download OP's video. The image shows different frames of a video capture.

Also, in case OP's driver download link for 1.1.0.187.2 ever expires, I have saved a copy. You can get in contact with me through Twitter, YouTube, or Twitch and I will upload it for you.

Attachments

• bad.png
    bad.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 153

DA_iNFAMOUS_DRE

Hello,
Bringing this thread back up a little bit -- sorry. :) I spent the last two hours searching for an answer as to why I was having this same issue OP. I have even tried finding the reddit post mentioned but I haven't come across it. This thread literally is the only solution I've come across, so I'm bringing it back up in case anyone else is having this issue. The 4K60Pro Mk2 is the only relatively "cheap" capture card I've found which supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling capture and not just passthrough, so I think this thread may be valuable to someone else in the future.

I was on the most recent driver,1.1.0.190.0, as of 10/2/2020, and this issue has still not been fixed. I tried different cables and everything. I can also confirm on my end that reverting back to 1.1.0.187.2 resolves the video noise issue. I've even tried looking at the differences between the drivers and don't notice particularly huge differences in the inf files, so something is probably different in the hex files, of which I do not know how to compare.

I've sent all this information to Elgato's help as well as tweeted at their ElgatoSupport twitter. I'm hoping there is a fix eventually so I'm not locked out of any future fixes or new features from more recent drivers than 1.1.0.187.2.

Attaching an image to show the video noise issue in case you don't want to download OP's video. The image shows different frames of a video capture.

Also, in case OP's driver download link for 1.1.0.187.2 ever expires, I have saved a copy. You can get in contact with me through Twitter, YouTube, or Twitch and I will upload it for you.

I'd recommend swapping to an Avermedia 4k capture card. I sold both of my 4k60 pro mk2 and swapped to it. It has real 4.4.4 color range

YT-BrianPardee

I'd recommend swapping to an Avermedia 4k capture card. I sold both of my 4k60 pro mk2 and swapped to it. It has real 4.4.4 color range
Which one? GC573?
The GC573 only appears to record in 4:2:0 unless I don't understand the specs fully or if there has been an update to the card and the website has not been updated. 4K60Pro Mk2 can be recorded at 4:4:4 in OBS. Or is the Preview specs for the GC573 the part that is used in OBS -- so, RGB24 will allow the GC573 to be recorded at 4:4:4 in OBS?

GC573:
Color SamplingInput/ Pass-through YUV 4:4:4, YUV 4:2:2, YUV 4:2:0, RGB24

Preview:
Up to FHD: YUV 4:2:2, YUV 4:2:0 , RGB24
4K: YUV 4:2:0 only

Record: YUV 4:2:0

YT-BrianPardee

A little update on this. :) Sorry for another post! But some more helpful information regarding this issue:

I found that Windows was automatically updating the driver to a 1.1.0.189 version after installing 1.1.0.187.2. Anyone having this noise issue will need to prevent Windows from updating the driver. I will try to link a good guide below for how to do that, but if the link doesn't work, search in Google "prevent windows from updating driver" and it is the tenforums link. I might make a full video on it later.
You will want to look for the Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2 driver in Sound, video and game controllers.

1601955450436.png

Christian75

A little update on this. :) Sorry for another post! But some more helpful information regarding this issue:

I found that Windows was automatically updating the driver to a 1.1.0.189 version after installing 1.1.0.187.2. Anyone having this noise issue will need to prevent Windows from updating the driver. I will try to link a good guide below for how to do that, but if the link doesn't work, search in Google "prevent windows from updating driver" and it is the tenforums link. I might make a full video on it later.
You will want to look for the Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2 driver in Sound, video and game controllers.

View attachment 61740

For me it does not work with the old driver with RGB or RV32 in VLC and if I use XRGB in OBS then I think it does not use RGB. Looks like YUY2 or any of the other chroma. So I do not think the old driver supports RGB but it looks ok in OBS.
How ever I found that if I first start with VLC in RV32 and then starts OBS then the noise disappear from VLC but I get a lot of stutter instead. But starting OBS does not work every time.
But what I would like to have from OBS is a preview with no boarders or menu borders. i can get that from VLC but I would rather have it from OBS. It should be borderless with 1:1 pixel resolution.

One thing. In which PCIe position do you have the capture card. Read somewhere that it might work if you do not use the PCH PCIe channels, but I need to use that one because I have two graphic cards and only one more 4x lane PCIe. I might just do a test with removing one of the graphic cards just to see if it works better.
Also in VLC it is more laggy than OBS don't know how to improve that in both OBS and VLC.

Last edited:

Christian75

Found a way to make OBS preview window without any borders or title and 1:1 pixel.
I used https://www.autohotkey.com/ and wrote a very short script like this:
Code:
#z:: ; windows key + z
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 2560, 1440
Return

#<:: ; windows key + <
WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 200, 200, 640, 480
Return

I my case the canvas in OBS is set to 2560x1440 without scaling, only one part of my monitor.
Remember that you need to have the OBS preview window selected when you hit Windows Key + z.
I think you can use ^0xC40000 and only have one key assigned but I didn't check how to make the window remember to move back to original position.

I still have the noise issue. Have filed a question to Elgato about that. Have not tried to move the card yet.

Christian75

Yes I got help from Elgato and now there is no more noise!
I got their latest beta drivers and that solved the problem.
I guess that you need to wait until they release the driver but I got the beta driver 1.1.0.193.5 to test and it removes the noise.

AversPlay

C
Yes I got help from Elgato and now there is no more noise!
I got their latest beta drivers and that solved the problem.
I guess that you need to wait until they release the driver but I got the beta driver 1.1.0.193.5 to test and it removes the noise.
Can you drop this beta driver please if it is still on your computer or somewhere you can download it. The Elgato support didn't answer me well so I'm beating with this flickerings for about a month and I can't record my gameplay properly. I'll be glad and very thankful)