Bug Report No Webcam

Suslik V

@Jim, you should know that free software slow at development, always. By my own experience, it always twice bad in comparison with proprietary (user interface, speed, functionality). Feature or not - the only solution is to find workarounds. Because, errors in the code always present (either it opensource or not) and all features is questionable (as ability to capture video by obs for example: as far as I know, from the forum, only obs has problems with cameras, the users always complain that their cameras works well in other programs - skype, etc. - IF YOU THINK THAT obs ignored by unfair competition from other software makers then it is a subject of trial).

The possible solution is to make new 'Troubleshoot' menu under the Help menu of the OBS Studio - for example, it could scan system for non-compatible software and show the warning list (maybe with possible workaround: uninstall software; add obs to trust list; terminate application before run obs).

Pyrimak

I've also got the same issue with my webcam, but I'm using a Zoom Q2N, and my AV is Bitdefender

I can provide a log if needed

Pyrimak

You mean, if you uninstall the antivirus all things is OK?

Why would I uninstall my antivirus in the first place?

My webcam is not being used by any other program, connecting it and then trying to change its properties causes OBS to freeze for ~10 seconds, and then the webcam disconnects. Once in the properties window, even if I change its resolution, framerate, or video format (the only option is MJPEG), the webcam will still refuse to function. Curiously, if I select the webcam as an audio input, it will load the webcam just fine with absolutely no freezing; but there's no video.

I'm on OBS studio version 18.0.2, I have the most up to date driver for the webcam, and I'm on the Windows Creator's Update. My webcam worked fine before the Creator's update, and then it refused to load at all once I did update. I don't have any other program that utilizes a webcam.

Here's a log https://gist.github.com/anonymous/bb3e204d845ed335f5a9e8d38647c7d5

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Why would I uninstall my antivirus in the first place?

My webcam is not being used by any other program, connecting it and then trying to change its properties causes OBS to freeze for ~10 seconds, and then the webcam disconnects. Once in the properties window, even if I change its resolution, framerate, or video format (the only option is MJPEG), the webcam will still refuse to function. Curiously, if I select the webcam as an audio input, it will load the webcam just fine with absolutely no freezing; but there's no video.

I'm on OBS studio version 18.0.2, I have the most up to date driver for the webcam, and I'm on the Windows Creator's Update. My webcam worked fine before the Creator's update, and then it refused to load at all once I did update. I don't have any other program that utilizes a webcam.

Here's a log https://gist.github.com/anonymous/bb3e204d845ed335f5a9e8d38647c7d5

From your log:

Code:
16:20:39.112: Video Capture Device: data.GetDevice failed
16:20:39.112: Video Capture Device: Video configuration failed

Looks like it's just not properly selecting a resolution/fps/format that your camera supports. Try manually setting it to something known that the camera supports. Go to the Video Capture Device properties, change Resolution/FPS Type from Device Default to Custom, and then set the options accordingly.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
@Pyrimak , Uninstall required for test purposes - if you uninstalled the antivirus and all thing becomes OK - only then you have the same issue as described in this thread, otherwise you have completely different issue and should open your own thread (as you did: Webcam issues with OBS after Creator's Update) to ask for proper help.

Please do not suggest users uninstall antivirus without good reason. The only known issue is with Avast/AVG, and this user's issue is completely different.

Pyrimak

From your log:

Code:
16:20:39.112: Video Capture Device: data.GetDevice failed
16:20:39.112: Video Capture Device: Video configuration failed

Looks like it's just not properly selecting a resolution/fps/format that your camera supports. Try manually setting it to something known that the camera supports. Go to the Video Capture Device properties, change Resolution/FPS Type from Device Default to Custom, and then set the options accordingly.

Which I did, and OBS still freezes up and the webcam automatically disconnects when the properties window loads up.

My resolution options are 1280x720 and 864x480. My FPS options are 5, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 29.97 NTSC, and 30. My only video format option is MJPEG. I've tried a combination of all of them, and nothing has changed. I've also tried multiple USB ports, still nothing.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
All,

We have received word from Avast that this should be fixed in the latest Avast update. Can any users here that were previously having issues with their webcam update and let us know if it is resolved on 18.0.2? Link to update for those who have rolled back is here: https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases/tag/18.0.2

If we can confirm this is fixed, we will be able to re-enable automatic updates for all users.

Suslik V

After I switched passive mode (ON/OFF) just once - it no longer required, so I cannot confirm is this the case or not (maybe avast update, or maybe result of passive mode switching back and force).