No matter what I do, I can't get recordings to run smoothly.

MagHins

I've been trying recently to get a smooth 1080p recording of CS2. It's capturing CS2, but it's filled with skipped frames, and in general just lag. Tried everything from CQP to CBR, but I just can't get it to run smoothly, please if anyone could help me. The smoothest I've gotten, was running CQP at 1, but that file size is gonna kill my harddrive.

Kind regards: MagHins

PaiSand

Start by following the recommendations and suggestions on the analyzer:

Do NOT by any means set a display source on the same scene as game or window capture. Display sources must be on it's own separated scene.
Do NOT set many game captures on the same scene. If you want to use different game captures for different games, use different scenes for each one.
Do NOT use CBR for recording. Use CQP setting the CQ level between 23 and 15 (lower is better quality).
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, don't use advanced output and keep it in simple output mode selecting the quality preset that you want to. Be adviced that not all computers can create great quality videos due to lack of great hardware needed for it. You can change the encoder for a better suitable one for the needs you have.
Most antiviruses suits are too intrusive and causes issues.

Make sure to undo whatever change you did on the advanced output and advanced setting that may cause issues, like custom settings.
Run the Auto-configuration Wizard selecting Recording as main porpuse, GPU for encoding, the resolution you aim to (you can change it later) and then apply the settings it gives. Do NOT change anything.
Restart OBS. Yes, it's important to restart OBS at this point.
Test as is. If everything works, you're done. Now you can test selecting a better quality preset, changing the resolution and fps. Change one thing at a time and test in between.