Question / Help No GPU utilization when using nvenc. High cpu usage

Akisame

I (successfully) installed NvEnc and ffmpeg from source using this guide: https://askubuntu.com/questions/778100/how-to-install-compile-nvenc-in-ubuntu
However I am unable to use ffmpeg vaapi with NvEnc enabled and can only use the default NvEnc setting of obs.
Cpu utilization is 165% (400% = 100% usage on all 4 cores). GPU utilization however = 0% meaning that it is actually NOT using my nvidia gpu
Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 08.44.27.png

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 08.36.32.png

When I encode a video with ffmpeg it is able to use the gpu just fine.
Does anyone have any advice?

I have a Intel Xeon E3-1220v5 with a GT710 nvidia gpu with 1 GB of dedicated ram. I am using the nvidia-418 drivers with cuda version 10.1

Tuna

I'm a bit puzzled here. Its NVENC or VAAPI. What is VAAPI with NVENC supposed to accomplish?

Akisame

It shows up as FFMPEG VAAPI with options to choose further encoders like NvEnc. Unfortunately it doesn't work. It indicates that it gets a bad parameter in the logs when I try it

Tuna

Sounds like just yet another wrapper around it then. Why not use NVENC directly? It was specifically coded for that use case - and not have to go through VAAPI. VAAPI and Nvidia have divorced a long time ago..

Akisame

That's the thing though. I AM using NvEnc directly now but it DOESN'T utilize the GPU at all as shown the image. I was hoping to get it to work via FFMPEG but that doesn't seem to work either. I am able to use the GPU with other programs (like FFMPEG). Could it be that I have to build obs from source or is something else interfering with it?

Edit: sorry for the late reply. I just got the notification e-mail