Nightmare With OBS Window Capture Distortion/Black Screens and Very Odd Behavior!

jeran

I have used OBS for years without issue. It always worked flawlessly. Recently my Windows 8 became unstable and so I upgraded to Windows 10. Before doing so I exported my profile and scene collections. I then installed windows which went perfectly well. Then I installed the newest OBS version which was several versions ahead of where I was on Windows 8. Since starting OBS and trying to get back to where I was, I have spent days of frustration and now want to throw the PC out the window. Nothing works right at all.

To start: During most transitions, they look terrible. No longer smooth fades but ones where a black screen is input in the middle of the transition. Looks like a second grader is running the show. The other and larger issue can be seen in this short video: https://youtu.be/71mD7ZStAmo

Even the video doesn't do it justice. Every time I try window capture which used to work so well, I get nothing. It will not hold on the scene. And for things I have tried, yes, I went through all settings in Windows 10 to turn off game capture etc. I turned off harware acceleration in Chrome which may have caused the distortion. I have a Nvidia GEForce 950. Not sure what else to do.

None of my window captures are working. They are distorted, showing weird glitches. If they do work, they work for one scene. As soon as I transition to something else and come back, it is a black screen and I have to go through and add it again. I have searched but seen no one give any decent advice. Should I just reinstall OBS and start from scratch and not bring my json files over? I'm at a lost and really want to just quit.

Log file:https://obsproject.com/logs/g9NeSJm7owQxJ-Ce

Appreciate any help although I have a feeling no one will have any clue on these issues

D

Deleted member 121471

There are way too many errors in the log to tackle in a timely manner so I'd recommend starting from scratch and rebuilding OBS settings and scenes.

So try the following, after resetting OBS to scratch:

1) Update Windows 10 to the latest version;

2) Run OBS as administrator;

3) Add a single capture source and nothing else yet;

4) Provide a new log with a streaming or recording session, to check if there are any issues before adding the other sources.

jeran

Thanks @Volfield for taking the time. Well, I just got even more pissed off. No idea what could possibly be causing these issues. So, I uninstalled OBS, reset PC and installed a fresh version. I did not import user settings, scenes or profiles. Just starting from scratch and was going to rebuild all scenes. BUT... this still is crap now. I am lost as what to do. I run 3 shows a week with OBS and this has shut me down. I am going to have to go get Streamlabs OBS for now I guess. No idea. Here is a video of me bitching again about how shitty this is: https://youtu.be/TbRyTBc5eTw

And here are two logs, current and last. Maybe you can see some issue. I have never seen OBS act like this EVER.

jeran

By the way... what is FTL? My program used to be in Program Files X86 under OBS Studio. The new install always says OBS Studio - FTL, just wondering. I have no idea what I am going to do now. FML

D

Deleted member 121471

Is it possible to set all monitors to the same refresh rate? Sometimes, missmatched refresh rate can cause some issues.

Could you provide a new clean log of a streaming session with OBS running as admin, as the 2nd log is showin it running with standard user privileges?

Lastly, as a troubleshooting option, do you have the same issues if you use display capture instead of window capture?

jeran

Is it possible to set all monitors to the same refresh rate? Sometimes, missmatched refresh rate can cause some issues.

Could you provide a new clean log of a streaming session with OBS running as admin, as the 2nd log is showin it running with standard user privileges?

Lastly, as a troubleshooting option, do you have the same issues if you use display capture instead of window capture?
I will try it. I'm just pissed. 3 years I have put into this software and I am already downloading others because I have no choice. I have shows I have to do tomorrow! The refresh rate, you mean 60hz or 50hz? They are all 60. And nothing right now is even from other monitors. I could turn the two off. It won't help. It froze the window captures. Okay, I will restart OBS, run as admin, I will stream to an unlisted video and try both display captures and window captures. Be back in a jjiffy

jeran

I can't recall being this upset. I have no clue what to do for tomorrow and the future. I had numerous profiles and scenes and assets. Custom transitions, audio perfected and its all gone now because of this stupid capture issue. Anyway, here is the video. Nothing works, its all garbage at this point. Can I go back and try an old version? Do you think there is any chance that will at least get me through the weekend?

Video: https://youtu.be/hO8N8S2x-qU

There are the logs. Ran as admin in OBS, did a stream and gathered logs. Window capture and display capture just show some glitchy looking crap...