Bug Report Need Help Custom Output (ffmpeg)? Maybe bug?

cjp562

I want to use OBS Studio ver. 24.0.3 to record only audio in wav format. The problem is when I record, and then I press the stop button and it turns to stopping record. And, then I press it again. I always get left with 78 byte wav file that contains no audio.
Heres my settings:
troubleShoot.png

Here's the picture of the problem:
troubleShoot2.png

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/Mxe06-LiQncy5lxC

koala

It seems OBS Studio isn't able to either record audio only or video only with ffmpeg output. I wasn't successful as well, and I tried many times in the past. It seems OBS Studio isn't able to handle the situation that "no encoder" is set for audio or video.

It's a bug, and if you need this output, I recommend you open a bug report with the developers. However, I assume the priority to put work into that issue is rather low, because development time is better spent for actual streaming features and there is a viable workaround: always record both audio and video and throw away the unwanted part in postprocessing.

Last edited:

cjp562

Thanks for the response. So, how would I record audio format I want and some random video format and delete it later?

koala

To be honest, I don't really understand why you want OBS to record audio. There are more audio-specific applications like Audacity that are specialized to recording and editing audio.

With OBS, if you want to record pcm (lossless audio), use simple output mode of OBS, "lossless quality", canvas and output size 128x128, fps 1, make the scene completely black by either not adding any video source or put a black color source on top of all. This results in a *.avi file with minimal video size and lossless pcm audio, which you can split off with about any postprocessing software such as Audacity or avidemux.