NDI Dual PC Setup, Streaming PC dropping frames and idles over 80%

nytla

Hello! I've been trying to find the solution to my issue everywhere and I keep dishing out more and more money thinking my problems would be fixed, but sadly that's not the case... So, recently I purchased a secondary pc to take my streaming to the next level and upgrade my production quality.

Both Rigs: (Gaming): GTX 2080 Super and an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | (Streaming PC): GT 1030 and an i7 8700k

I am currently using NDI (Output from gaming rig) and sending the signal to my my streaming pc. When just having OBS Studio open the frame rate is already dropping below 60fps and the GPU idles around 80% to even 100% and my frames just get cut in half. I found it interesting because when I disabled my Sony Camera source in OBS the frame rate almost corrected itself fully but the idle utilization for the GPU would stay at around 80%. I disabled hardware acceleration for the NDI source and that also helped somewhat. Game mode for windows is already turned off, fully updated windows, I installed all of the necessary drivers and have a dedicated capture card for my camera. If I could at least get an explanation on why this is happening and the direction I can go toward finally finding a solution it would mean the world to me. Thank you for taking the time to read this post! :)

Here was the log from the current session with the frame drops and high GPU usage: https://obsproject.com/logs/e5zAC5HPop31RSxh

Edit: I normally stream in 1080p but realized the log shows a downscale 1600x900, I was messing around trying to find solutions

Zstahlsmith

I am also having this issue with 2 PTZoptics cameras, and an NDI output feed to studio monitor. my CPU is resting at 84%, no dropped frames at 60fps. AV out of sync, and video dropping at times. I did not have any issues earlier this week when doing this same set up

nytla

My issue was solved, so it turned out that the gt 1030 was my issue as the amount of power it had was really bad. I believe it was utilizing 4 lanes instead of 16 which was a red flag. I ended up returning the 1030 and dished out a tiny bit more money for a GTX series card as it will use hardware encoding. I was having render lag but now the issue is completely gone because of the new card. You get what you pay for I guess.

Edit: Thank you to all the people who helped me on the OBS discord. I am very grateful for such a helpful community.