Question / Help My Recordings Stutter/freeze every few second sbut my in game frames and pc specs are great, how can i fix this?

Vorphy

I have a great pc (gtx 1070 ti ryzen 7 1700x and 16 gb of ram) and when i play fortnite i get great frames. However when checking the recording there are these short freezes ever few seconds or so. I have tried almost every recording setting and am currently using nvenc hardware cbr encoder 60000 kbps and recording with 1080p 60 fps and lanczos. By the way i record using a game capture source and that is the only source i have open. Does anyone know how to fix this or what the problem is? Here is a log https://obsproject.com/logs/nK9Yu-ATaGloD1JI

Last edited:

Narcogen

I don't see any performance issues in the log, but generally for recording you shouldn't use CBR, that's primarily for streaming. Use CQP rate control and a quality setting between 15 (high quality) or 23 (good quality) or switch to simple output mode and choose "indistinguishable quality, large file size" and see how that goes.

You might also check which player you are using to play back to see if the stutter is in the playback, and try VLC if you aren't already using it.

Vorphy

I don't see any performance issues in the log, but generally for recording you shouldn't use CBR, that's primarily for streaming. Use CQP rate control and a quality setting between 15 (high quality) or 23 (good quality) or switch to simple output mode and choose "indistinguishable quality, large file size" and see how that goes.

You might also check which player you are using to play back to see if the stutter is in the playback, and try VLC if you aren't already using it.
ive tried both of those and they didnt work. I noticed that for some reason when i set my game settings to 60 fps it looks smooth but im used to playing on 144 hz so i shouldnt have to use that low of fps.

Narcogen

If you have dual monitors and one is 60hz and one is 144, that's going to cause performance issues. That's a known issue in Windows.

If you're just running one monitor and you're playing at 144hz and capturing at 60, that's going to cause stutter because 144 doesn't divide evenly into 60. 120 would be better if your monitor supports it.

If you're running Fortnite at 100+fps without capping, then that's going to potentially cause stuttering if OBS doesn't have enough GPU resources to operate.

Jessie907g

I have the same issue and I really can't find a fix or solution anywhere. It's not just when I record or stream. OBS's preview screen stutters as well and it's almost always 5-6 seconds between each stutter while still stating constant 60fps.

[Video Log]
https://youtu.be/2gf-9IydqK0

I record at 1080p 60fps with a monitor of the same specs.