Question / Help MKV is very blurry when recording. Any help?

KIPERFuN

When I switch from FLV (which looks fine) to MKV it becomes completely blurry and I have no idea why.

I'm having to use it so I can have multiple audio tracks from my different inputs, and I'd like to be able to get back to the crystal clear 1080p 60fps I was able to do on FLV.

Also, when I do streaming, what would be good settings to set it to to have similarly good quality?

Attached is my log file (incase that helps with the settings to show what I'm using) and a screenshot of my settings incase that doesn't help. I tried attaching a picture of the blurriness but the screenshot is too large :|

Attachments

• 2019-10-04 00-28-23.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Advanced Settings.png
    Advanced Settings.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Audio Settings.png
    Audio Settings.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Recording Settings.png
    Recording Settings.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 148
  • encoder settings.png
    encoder settings.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 152

koala

You set OBS to set the same encoder settings for recording as you set for streaming, and you didn't touch the streaming settings, so it will record at 2500, which is much too low as Tomasz said. If you want your recordings look better than any future streams, you should set nvenc as encoder instead of "use stream encoder". Choose CQP as rate control and a CQ value of 15-25, where lower values mean higher quality. This will always result in better quality than the CBR mode used with streaming.

However, if you actually stream and record at the same time, you should monitor system usage, since using different encoder settings for streaming and encoding means OBS will run 2 encoder sessions, which increases system load. If you experience problems in this situation, set the recording encoder back to "use stream encoder". Then it will record exactly what you send out as stream. Not the enhanced quality you get with CQP mode, but less system load.

KIPERFuN

Thanks for the help and tips! I'll set it to use Nvenc and CQP for recording.
Sorry it took me a while to respond.