MidiKey2Key translates MIDI-Events to key-shortcuts

Free MidiKey2Key translates MIDI-Events to key-shortcuts 1.8.6.0

Der Abt

Der Abt submitted a new resource:

MidiKey2Key translates MIDI-Events to key-shortcuts - Use your MIDI-controller to control OBS

MidiKey2Key is a free software that lets You turn any MIDI-In event into a keyboard-action on your computer or start any program or command on your computer. The posibilities are almost unlimited.
mainwindow.png

All you need is a MIDI-device connected to your PC which can send MIDI-commands.
I.e. a small MIDI-pad with nice buttons is recommended to be turned into a command-board, which controls actions on your PC.
So it is possible, to...

Read more about this resource...

Imani

Thank you so much for this! as a music producer and video editor, I have been waiting for something like this for years. Every other workaround was so cumbersome but this is so easy and streamlined.

icezolation

Thanks for your submission, Der Abt!
Is this working flawlessly in terms of OBS Global Hotkeys? I tried out a similar software like this called 'MIDI Translator Classic', but the problem was that the inputs don't reach OBS as soon as another application is focused (program window, fullscreen game ...).

I will try this out as soon as I can since this would mean I don't have to get a (kinda overpriced) elgato Streamdeck and can simply use a midi-controller of my choice.

Edit: Now had time to try it out and I am surprised how good it performs! Setting it up is extremely easy. Will continue using this and gladly recommend it. Great work, DerAbt!

Last edited:

Der Abt

Der Abt updated MidiKey2Key translates MIDI-Events to key-shortcuts with a new update entry:

Version 1.8.6.0 is out - New features!

Check out the new version. Just run the installer, no need to uninstall the old version.
Online-manual and tutorial video need still to be done.

New Features:
- Multiple setting-sets also via startup-argfument
- Midi-Out to send back Midi to controllers which can lighten buttons
- Test-Button to test actions
- Name Your actions
- Window-state for Start-Program-Actions
- 2nd Midi-Action toggle (dends back different Midi commands when pressed the 2nd time)

And some...

Read the rest of this update entry...

copter

Thanks from this great tool. I use it together with my Akai LPD8, which I probably will upgrade in the future.

@Der Abt Would it be possible trigger second MIDI action also from the (computer) keyboard?

For example I have CTRL+F1 activating the scene and on the controller it's mapped to PAD1 press. So if I do the activation using the PAD1, it will send CTRL+F1 to OBS and also it will light up on PAD1, but if from some reason I do actually press CTRL+F1 from the keyboard, then PAD1 naturally doesn't light up and then PAD lights (which I use as indicators too) are not in sync.

This would also be handy with some third party automation tools, which do send keyboard presses using timer etc conditions that I'm using too, which naturally will mess things up too.

Bobo Bolinski

great tool** very great*** - do you think, there is a possibility to get this working under Linux? - There is nothing around like this in the linux-world..

thatduckie

I'm having an error. I can't use it. I have Voicemeeter Banana that I control with my MIDI at the moment but I can't seem to log any strokes.

Below is the error.

""
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
PureMidi.CoreMmSystem.MidiIO.Exceptions.InputDeviceException: There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try a
at PureMidi.CoreMmSystem.MidiIO.InputDevice..ctor(Int32 deviceId)
at PureMidi.Monitor.Monitor.SwitchMonitorOn()
at PureMidi.Monitor.Monitor.ButtonDevicesOpenCloseClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.3416.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MidiKey2Key
Assembly Version: 2.0.6852.33572
Win32 Version: 2.0.9.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MidiKey2Key/MidiKey2Key.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.7.3324.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.7.3416.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.7.3362.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
""

vr_driver

Do you know if there are plans to support midi devices natively? Particularly on MacOS?
We do video switching somethings with a Roland mixer that has rotary dials, and can do some PIP stuff, where we can move the secondary feed around with the dials and things. I'd love to see this kind of thing possible in OBS, but in reality, there only seems to be support for keyboard short-cuts, rather than proper MIDI integration in to the program, most likely making this wish not possible. My dream would be to be able to use a midi controller (such as a Novation LaunControl os similar) and be able to change scenes, and adjust the opacity of layers with the rotary dials, or change the volume levels with these controllers. It's very easy to accidently double click on a scene and change it, or break things or whatever. Maybe I'm writing all this in the wrong area, maybe I'm not, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts. :)

ihorner

Do you know if there are plans to support midi devices natively? Particularly on MacOS?

Hi vr_driver, I'm actually doing exactly what you want to do in OBS on MacOS with an Akai MPD26. For OBS control directly I'm using MIDItoOBS which is like a dream. My pads control the scene switching, faders control each volume independently, and I've knobs set for x/y positioning, scaling and rotation, and my transit control buttons take me on and offline.

Additionally, because you're on MacOS, I recommend checking out BetterTouchTool which has much of the functionality of MIDIKey2Key, but expands on that with keyboard shortcuts, mouse gestures, touchbar support etc… It's extremely powerful, and a real treat for Mac users.

Der Abt, I'm immediately installing MIDIKey2Key on my Windows machines, as this is exactly what I've been needing. Cheers!

Hi vr_driver, I'm actually doing exactly what you want to do in OBS on MacOS with an Akai MPD26. For OBS control directly I'm using MIDItoOBS which is like a dream. My pads control the scene switching, faders control each volume independently, and I've knobs set for x/y positioning, scaling and rotation, and my transit control buttons take me on and offline.

Additionally, because you're on MacOS, I recommend checking out BetterTouchTool which has much of the functionality of MIDIKey2Key, but expands on that with keyboard shortcuts, mouse gestures, touchbar support etc… It's extremely powerful, and a real treat for Mac users.
Thanks man, this is exactly the info Ive been searching for for an hour. I want to use my Beatstep as a scene switcher.

apomicter

Have you gotten anywhere on this yet?

I used midikey2key to program my scene changes to respond to my arturia keylab 49. It worked great for last week's stream. I added a few controls for voicemeeter this week.

I too recieved a nearly identical message.

Do I have an error overwhelming my CPU or RAM?

Der Any, any thoughts?