Question / Help Massive File Sizes

kimjongian

I finished setting up my OBS and just finished recording some 3-5 hour videos every day for the past week. Each size ranging from 40-80GB.

What is the best way to decrease file size without removing too much quality?

Would it be best to record my audio separate and link them together in post?

Thank you in advance for the help.

D

Deleted member 121471

There isn't a recording session on either of those logfiles. We need that information to know which settings you're using to encode.

D

Deleted member 121471

Change the following settings, both related and unrelated to your question:

1) Run OBS as admin;

2) YUV Colour Space: 709, YUV Colour Range: Partial;

3) Encoder: NVENC
Rate Control: CQP set somewhere between 16-23 (lower value=higher quality and larger filesize)
Preset: Quality
Profile: High
Lookahead and Psycho Visual Tuning disabled
B-frames: 2

4) Enable Windows 10 "Game mode", a somewhat recent update has fixed all issues related to Windows and OBS;

5) Save your recording in .mkv format then remux it through File--->Remux recordings, once you're done with your session. Anything that causes a MP4 file to not be finalized correctly will result in an unrecoverable recording;

6) Your capture card is outputting 1080p while your base canvas is only 720p. Either reduce capture card's output to 720p or increase base canvas resolution to 1080p;

7) To avoid potential issues with sound, change your audio devices and OBS sample rates to 48kHz to match what your capture card is outputting.

This should cover all potential problems you might have in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

koala

To answer the OP: this is the way it is. If you want a certain quality, it can only be achieved with a certain file size. If you reduce the file size, you will reduce quality. There is always a tradeoff: the smaller the filesize, the lower the quality. Usually, you tune down the parameter that defines the file size until you feel the quality is just good enough.
Use the encoder setting Volfield proposed and experiment with the CQ parameter. This is the parameter that controls the quality. The higher the value, the more detail will be removed, thus the file size will be lower. It can be from to 0=no detail removed to 50=so much detail removed that only a bloody mess remains. Experiment with values between 15-25, which still gives reasonably good quality.

It's also possible to recode an existing video with tools like Handbrake. They just re-encode the video with new parameters, which can be used to remove more detail than already removed to shrink the file.

Recording audio and video separate will not affect file sizes.

kimjongian

Change the following settings, both related and unrelated to your question:

1) Run OBS as admin;

2) YUV Colour Space: 709, YUV Colour Range: Partial;

3) Encoder: NVENC
Rate Control: CQP set somewhere between 16-23 (lower value=higher quality and larger filesize)
Preset: Quality
Profile: High
Lookahead and Psycho Visual Tuning disabled
B-frames: 2

4) Enable Windows 10 "Game mode", a somewhat recent update has fixed all issues related to Windows and OBS;

5) Save your recording in .mkv format then remux it through File--->Remux recordings, once you're done with your session. Anything that causes a MP4 file to not be finalized correctly will result in an unrecoverable recording;

6) Your capture card is outputting 1080p while your base canvas is only 720p. Either reduce capture card's output to 720p or increase base canvas resolution to 1080p;

7) To avoid potential issues with sound, change your audio devices and OBS sample rates to 48kHz to match what your capture card is outputting.

This should cover all potential problems you might have in the future.
Alright, I have changed the settings accordingly. The quality is decent enough for what I am doing. If I do want to go to higher quality I just have to deal with huge files, then, right? Have any tips for editing large files?

kimjongian

It's also possible to recode an existing video with tools like Handbrake. They just re-encode the video with new parameters, which can be used to remove more detail than already removed to shrink the file.

Handbrake, holy hell. I just did a couple of tests with the optimized preset for Youtube 1080, 60FPS. and I am blown away. Shrunk the file size down by about 70%. Thank you, switching back to my old high quality recordings, just going to have it re-encode while I am at work