Major dropped frames issue while streaming

Jdsudz

During my live show today, I encountered a major dropped frame issue.

My show uses two hosts via Skype from two different locations, while I operate OBS and stream from a third location.

My CPU usage low, but key frames dropped was nearly 70% the whole show. I am streaming 1920x1080 at 3500kbs with an ethernet connections. Today was the first time I had the keyframe interval set to 2

One of my hosts revealed he was on wifi the whole time, which may have been a part of the problem but surely can't be the whole issue can it?

FerretBomb

Dropped frames are always a network connection issue from the streaming system (running OBS) to the ingest server.
If you are streaming and had a couple of people on Skype, how they were connected to you would not affect your streaming connection to the server.

95% of your connection to any server on the internet is entirely out of your control.
You can make absolutely no changes, and your connection can go from amazing to awful, or vice-versa at any time.

Jdsudz

Dropped frames are always a network connection issue from the streaming system (running OBS) to the ingest server.
If you are streaming and had a couple of people on Skype, how they were connected to you would not affect your streaming connection to the server.

95% of your connection to any server on the internet is entirely out of your control.
You can make absolutely no changes, and your connection can go from amazing to awful, or vice-versa at any time.

I figured as much, but as I am new to using OBS I had to check all possibilities. I have never seen so many dropped frames before todays stream, most of my issues prior were related to streaming AND recording at the same time, which apparently my laptop couldn't handle. I figured JUST streaming today wouldn't be an issue, but here we are. Very bizarre. Might just have to the turn it off and on again trick.

FerretBomb

I figured as much, but as I am new to using OBS I had to check all possibilities. I have never seen so many dropped frames before todays stream, most of my issues prior were related to streaming AND recording at the same time, which apparently my laptop couldn't handle. I figured JUST streaming today wouldn't be an issue, but here we are. Very bizarre. Might just have to the turn it off and on again trick.
As a note, if you are using 'same as stream' for the Recording tab while streaming, there's virtually zero extra load on the system. Just the i/o accesses per second to the disk itself, as it's just writing locally what it's sending out post-encoding.
Mentioning it as it could be a cause for concern, and be worth looking into on a system-diagnostic level to keep things running well. (Also, it still wouldn't cause dropped frames. Hammering that one home as there's a lot of people who think it can be caused by anything but a network issue.)