macOS 10.15 Catalina Support Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The latest version of OBS Studio, 24.0.6, has now been released and should work on macOS 10.15 Catalina. You can download it here: https://obsproject.com/download

You should not need to do any of the previous workarounds anymore. It should work as a regular Mac app. That said, you will likely need to grant the app permission to capture the screen, cameras, and microphones, though the program should prompt you to do so. If it does not, you can grant permissions manually in your Security and Privacy settings.

If you are continuing to have issues, please make a regular post on the forums here: https://obsproject.com/forum/list/mac-support.33/

The newest version of macOS, 10.15 "Catalina", is now available. However, OBS Studio is currently not yet fully compatible with it. These issues stem from a change to the way Catalina handles permissions for things such as capturing webcams and microphones. For example, if you have a webcam capture in one of your scenes, OBS will crash. We are currently working on a fix.

Users currently have two options for running OBS on Catalina right now:

Option 1: Download and run the test build

This is a test build that we have put together that reorganizes the application package in a way more compatible with Catalina. Please help us test this version and let us know if you encounter any issues with it. We hope to have a formal release soon.

Important notes about this build:
  • This build is not signed, so the first time you open it, macOS may complain and not let you open it. If you can't open OBS, right-click on the icon and click "Open", and the pop-up should have an "Open" option available to open the program anyway.
  • The updater may not work correctly, so you will likely need to manually download the full update later when it comes out. However, this should work for many of you at least as a stop-gap so you at least have something working.
  • The install process has changed. Now when you open the .dmg file, you simply need to drag the OBS.app file into your Applications folder to install.
Download the test release here: http://obsproject.com/downloads/obs-24.0.3-installer-catalina-fix-02.dmg

Option 2: Run OBS manually from the Terminal

If you want to run the normal release, you will likely need to run OBS via the Terminal. Open the Terminal app and type the following:

Code:
open /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --args -picture

NOTE: When you run OBS from the Terminal this way, and attempt to add things such as webcam capture or display capture, the Terminal will ask for these permissions instead of OBS. If so, be sure to grant those permissions to the Terminal to ensure functionality in OBS.

Important Notes

Permissions for Display Capture, Microphone, and Cameras

If you are trying to capture your display, microphone, or a camera on Catalina, you should get a pop-up asking to grant permission to OBS to allow it to do so. However, it seems that some users are not getting this pop-up. If you are having trouble with any of these things, you may need to manually grant OBS these permissions.

To do so, go to Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, then under the entries for "Screen Recording", "Camera", and "Microphone", ensure that OBS is checked. Note that if you are running OBS from the Terminal, you may need to grant these permissions to the Terminal as well (unconfirmed).

Note about the NDI plugin:

For those of you using the third-party NDI plugin, you may need to run the following three commands from the Terminal in order to get it working:
Bash:
sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtWidgets @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtGui @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtCore @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

Last edited:

Precaution

I'm very glad that there is a known workaround within a day of the new OS. Window Capture seems to work, but Display Capture is down for now. You guys are working hard on this and I appreciate your hard work.

liceth1508

Good night, I am something new on the subject, my mac has the Catalina update and I don't really know where I should enter the code you put so that my camera works correctly in OBS as before. I appreciate any help. Thank you

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Interesting. I can open OBS from the terminal, but it crashes with the "normal" method.
Yes, this is the issue. If OBS has no sources when you start it up, it will start normally. But if you add a webcam or microphone or display capture, it may crash unless you launched it from the Terminal.

Kelly Lincoln

The newest version of macOS, 10.15 "Catalina", is now available. However, OBS Studio is currently not yet fully compatible with it. These issues stem from a change to the way Catalina handles permissions for things such as capturing webcams and microphones. For example, if you have a webcam capture in one of your scenes, OBS will crash. We are currently working on a fix. In the meantime, if you have already upgraded to Catalina, you can restore most functionality by running OBS manually from the Terminal with the following command:

Code:

NOTE: When you run OBS from the Terminal this way, and attempt to add things such as webcam capture or display capture, the Terminal will ask for these permissions instead of OBS. If so, be sure to grant those permissions to the Terminal to ensure functionality in OBS.
How do you grant permissions for the cameras via terminal? Thank you

Last edited:
I'm having an odd issue as well since I recently upgraded to Catalina. For some reason OBS is not picking up any audio at all (was perfectly fine before upgrading). No sound from my mic or display, even tho I have iShowU audio capture and created a Multi-Output Device. I didn't see anyone mentioning this issue here, so I hope I'm not on my own with this.

Domm

The terminal work around is great however I can't add safari as an option or Excel in window capture. it says null

vvulpes0

I'm having an odd issue as well since I recently upgraded to Catalina. For some reason OBS is not picking up any audio at all (was perfectly fine before upgrading). No sound from my mic or display, even tho I have iShowU audio capture and created a Multi-Output Device. I didn't see anyone mentioning this issue here, so I hope I'm not on my own with this.
This is what i experienced as well, but using the Terminal workaround solved the issue for me. Does that not work for you?

vvulpes0

The terminal work around is great however I can't add safari as an option or Excel in window capture. it says null
I just tested a Safari window capture and it works perfectly fine. Are you trying to capture a full-screen window perhaps? I've found that capturing full-screen windows only seems to work if they are non-full-screen when selected and then made full-screen afterward

Domm

I just tested a Safari window capture and it works perfectly fine. Are you trying to capture a full-screen window perhaps? I've found that capturing full-screen windows only seems to work if they are non-full-screen when selected and then made full-screen afterward
I don't even have the option unless I click "Show Windows with empty names" then it shows as null
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 2.26.31 PM.png

ginoseriacopi

The newest version of macOS, 10.15 "Catalina", is now available. However, OBS Studio is currently not yet fully compatible with it. These issues stem from a change to the way Catalina handles permissions for things such as capturing webcams and microphones. For example, if you have a webcam capture in one of your scenes, OBS will crash. We are currently working on a fix. In the meantime, if you have already upgraded to Catalina, you can restore most functionality by running OBS manually from the Terminal with the following command:

Code:

Thank you, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.