Bug Report Low FPS in OBS? Frames missed due to rendering lag? GPU problems? Look here.

etre

If you have a CPU+GPU that can run 144fps while still chilling at <95% GPU load, you should be able to stream just fine. Or use a second PC for streaming and a 144Hz capture card.

By the way, you can still play on a 144Hz monitor and just cap the fps at a more reasonable frame rate (let's say 90fps) and enjoy the benefits of low input lag and perfect picture quality (if the monitor supports freesync/G-sync).

I wish you will stop spreading this BS because is not true. Since I have encountered the problem I have searched for a solution and on this forum you are on every thread saying the same thing, "cap your fps"

First of all, lets make it clear: IS NOT WORKING !!! IS NOT A SOLUTION !!!
At best is slightly improving the symptoms, at worst is making it worse (my case). I dropped my refresh rate from 240 to 60 fps, used vsync and in OBS everything turned in a slide show.

I have exactly the same problem as the guys above. I was streaming with OBS just fine until I had to upgrade to windows 10 because Nvidia implemented Freesync.

Second, Shadowplay is a hardware implementation. Should not affect significantly the game performance. The only way it interferes with the game is by using bandwidth, which leads us to the solution found by Linus, replacing the M.2 SSD with a sata one. PCI express should not be a problem, since high end MBs have 16 reserved for the main gpu slot. I have an M.2 SSD + a sound card but I checked with gpu-z and my gpu runs on 16x pci-e lanes. Beside, I'm unwilling to downgrade my hardware or my gaming experience (dropping from 240 MHz) just to be able to record the games or stream.

Disabling game related stuff in windows 10 is not a solution either. Just made it a little better but is not a complete fix.

This is a problem with OBS and windows 10 !

BK-Morpheus

It's not BS, because in 90% of the threads, people simply are running with bad sources (monitor capture+game capture in the same scene etc.), have Win10 Game Mode / Game DVR activated, run their games without FPS limit and therefore bottleneck the GPU power that is necessary to render the OBS scene.

Of course, a frame limit is not needed if the CPU or game engine is bottlenecking before the GPU does or if Microsoft implements a way to prioritize GPU loads, so that OBS can be set at a higher GPU priority than the game itself.
The framebuffer access was completely different in Win7 for example, that's why the fps cap was not necessary there.
And then there is also the problem of Windows and mixed refreshrate setups (144Hz + 60Hz as the most common variant) where GPU accelerated content is displayed on both monitors. But that's still no OBS problem.

Last edited:

etre

It's not BS, because in 90% of the threads, people simply are running with bad sources (monitor capture+game capture in the same scene etc.), have Win10 Game Mode / Game DVR activated, run their games without FPS limit and therefore bottleneck the GPU power that is necessary to render the OBS scene.

Of course, a frame limit is not needed if the CPU or game engine is bottlenecking before the GPU does or if Microsoft implements a way to prioritize GPU loads, so that OBS can be set at a higher GPU priority than the game itself.
The framebuffer access was completely different in Win7 for example, that's why the fps cap was not necessary there.
And then there is also the problem of Windows and mixed refreshrate setups (144Hz + 60Hz as the most common variant) where GPU accelerated content is displayed on both monitors. But that's still no OBS problem.

There is no way Nvidia implemented a feature, like this one, that bottoms out at 100% gpu load. If it does, is not working as intended.
Do you know what a hardware implementation is ? I'm taking a guess that you are clueless. One of those guys that plays "pretend" a lot. You don't sound like someone who knows what he speaks of. Do you have any proofs for your claims ? Something ? I bet not ! Again, stop spreading misinformation.

This is 100% a problem not on the hardware part, or the load of that hardware. Nvidia, MS, OBS ... someone screwed up something. Most likely MS+OBS.

Last edited:

m19025

Pretty sure it's a GPU resources priority problem. If there's only game running on my PC, the GPU usage is ~90%, didn't have any issue, but if I open some other software that increase the usage, the rendering lag immediately appeared. It looks like OBS doesn't have appropriate priority for GPU resources.

Everything else is in a really low usage. Tried to run in high privilege in both OBS settings and task manager, but seems both would not change anything about GPU resources priority unfortunately.

BK-Morpheus

There is no way Nvidia implemented a feature, like this one, that bottoms out at 100% gpu load. If it does, is not working as intended.
Do you know what a hardware implementation is ? I'm taking a guess that you are clueless. One of those guys that plays "pretend" a lot. You don't sound like someone who knows what he speaks of. Do you have any proofs for your claims ? Something ? I bet not ! Again, stop spreading misinformation.

This is 100% a problem not on the hardware part, or the load of that hardware. Nvidia, MS, OBS ... someone screwed up something. Most likely MS+OBS.
You obviously have no clue about bottlenecks and scene rendering.

Gozen

For anyone who hasn't seen it, EposVox made a couple of months ago in regards to issues described in this thread: Windows 10 is Holding Back Content Creators & Streamers! There are more details posted in the description for that video as well.

As a person who used to stream and game from the same PC, I've noticed the rendering lag issues in OBS Studio for a long time.

My gaming (and also former streaming) PC includes:
i7-4790K
16 GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
Logitech C922 set to 1280x720 at 30 or 60 FPS in OBS Studio
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
2560x1440 165 Hz G-Sync Monitor
Elgato HD60 Pro

For most games, I was able to play at 2560x1440 resolution at ultra (max) settings, dedicated full screen, with V-sync disabled, no FPS cap/lock set, at 165 Hz refresh rate and able to stream at 1280x720 at 60 FPS usually without much, if any rendering lag/stalls. However, it really did depend on the game. If I ever tried to stream at 1920x1080 at 60 FPS, then rendering lag/stalls would become much more prevalent. There were also those instances where I would see the rendering lag/stalls occurring in real time in OBS studio without me even streaming anything.

I didn't really want to lower my refresh rate to 60 Hz, nor enable V-sync, and/or set a FPS cap/lock at 60 FPS to free up GPU resources. However, even when I did do any, or all 3 of these, there were still instances where rendering lag/stalls would occur.

After seeing EposVox's review of the AVerMedia GC573 Live Gamer 4K last summer, I decided to build a dedicated stream PC.

The stream PC includes:
Ryzen 7 1800X
16 GB RAM
GTX 1060 6 GB
Logitech C922 set to 1920x1080 at 30 FPS in OBS Studio
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
2560x1440 165 Hz G-Sync Monitor
AVerMedia GC573 4K

After doing this, I was able to to stream at 1920x1080 at 60 FPS with no rendering lag/stalls in OBS studio. The biggest caveat to this is that I can't run 165 Hz on my streaming PC. I also don't operate at 144 Hz, but instead at 120 Hz due to screen tearing that occurs on stream when not running at 120 Hz. I also don't run G-Sync on my gaming PC either due to tearing.

In the end though, I would love to see it where rendering lag/stalls are a thing of the past in Windows 10 with OBS Studio. I do prefer streaming from a single PC, even if it does mean a loss of FPS in games. However, the streaming PC has been working out great and I am happy that I don't have to worry about rendering lag/stalls anymore.

Glidarn91

Hey, I am having this problem aswell... only in BF5 though. When streaming LoL and other games it seems to work flawless.

My gaming rig is fairly new aswell:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 @3.2GHz
16gm RAM
Nvidia RTX 2070

Im new to streaming though but I'll do my best to explain, I did follow some tutorial on youtube that I downscaled the res abit etc. My connection is fine 10000+upload and when streaming bf5 it remains steady on 4-6k with a green connection but it drops in fps for some reason jumping between 30-60 and makes the stream unwatchable... while I have 90-120 fps ingame on ultra settings.

Anyone know what is causing this?

Regards Glidarn

rakunvar

Hmm. Gonna take awhile to read through this whole thread. May as well link my thread in here as well as another reference. https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-fps-issue-gpu-overload-amd-related.105952/#post-403732

@Gozen Yea I came across that video as well and thats whats also leading me down all these paths to try to figure out whats up. Honestly like I've said before, I see this issue tenfold on anything with AMD Hardware by any means. Even in his comments, almost everyone posting the same issues have AMD.

Last tests I did over the weekend was with DX11/12. For w/e reason Dx11 wrecks the GPU's % on these games, and doesnt let OBS have that headroom unless I limit an incredible amount of FPS/settings. DX12 though, I can push 4k/RTX/etc without issue, and that also seems rather off to me.. Obviously Dx12 "Should" run better but thats excessive, and that gap isnt nearly as big on my old Intel system.

Like I said though, I've went through weeks of ideas, tests, ISO installs, etc etc.. I hope we can find a solve that isn't the standard "Turn graphics down and limit FPS more.."

Last edited:

Verner

Hello. As I understand it, the problem appeared in Win 10 1809 and is absent in 1803. Today the distribution of version 1903 begins. To whom will it come or who will risk putting it - check, please, will there be a problem with the encoder overload or not?

BK-Morpheus

Hello. As I understand it, the problem appeared in Win 10 1809 and is absent in 1803. Today the distribution of version 1903 begins. To whom will it come or who will risk putting it - check, please, will there be a problem with the encoder overload or not?
I saw the problem (and posts in this forum about it as well) already in branch 1803

Drift_91

Is this still an issue in Windows 10 build 1903?

If so, is there no way for the OBS devs to leverage the Multimedia Class Scheduler Service? Looking in the registry there's a 'capture' class with a 'GPU priority' key and 'background Only' key. Also with Nvidia recently partnering with OBS shouldn't they be able to lobby Microsoft on their behalf or make a driver implementation to fix the GPU priority?

Second, Shadowplay is a hardware implementation. Should not affect significantly the game performance. The only way it interferes with the game is by using bandwidth[...]
While encoding is done by the dedicated NVENC ASIC, rendering is still done via the same GPU rendering ASIC that your game uses. What I find most frustrating is that my OBS setup contains no overlays or external content other than the game, so essentially shouldn't be doing any rendering at all.

Btw I agree that limiting framerate is a poor solution. But it's all we have until the incompetents at Microsoft pull their heads out of the dirt.

Edit:
So I just did some testing. At first it seemed that the issue was still present. But then I disabled the preview and was able to stream FurMark at 1080p60 with FurMark running at 1080p. This of course was with no overlays, downscaling or fancy browser sources. Mind you I was doing this on a measly old GTX 660 and FurMark is extremely demanding on the GPU. So if anyone's still having issues just try turning off your preview and see if that helps.

Last edited:

JOHNSMITH11

Edit:
So I just did some testing. At first it seemed that the issue was still present. But then I disabled the preview and was able to stream FurMark at 1080p60 with FurMark running at 1080p. This of course was with no overlays, downscaling or fancy browser sources. Mind you I was doing this on a measly old GTX 660 and FurMark is extremely demanding on the GPU. So if anyone's still having issues just try turning off your preview and see if that helps.
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Still recorded normal for a minute or two and then it started eating my framerate.

Zap

Hey all. Is this still an issue? Going to be formatting my PC soon and wondering if I should stick with Windows 7 or go to Windows 10.

darkxylese

So I'm having the same issues on Linux Arch. Got a Ryzen 3600 and a GTX 1070 with its proprietary drivers. I'm using the x264 encoder, and when just recording my desktop (with only zoom and a web browser running on background) (not streaming) I still get 20% rendering frame skip.#
Removing the preview helps a little bit, but I still lose frames as the recording fps dips below 60 "at times".

Total system load when recording: GPU load is under 20% and around 20% for the CPU.

Thus I think it might be some GPU or CPU scheduling issue here. I've been using the "run as administrator" workaround on windows, but now that I've made the full switch to linux its a problem again. Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't have a resource bottleneck here, and Games run fine on max settings (so not a linux driver issue).

obs-frame-skip.png
resources.png

Daylightgming

Is this thread still alive in 2021 or has it been taken by the covid as well?
If not, i bumped into the same problem as the rest of the thread, but the «virus» has evolved!

After runing into the same brick wall as mentioned above and beyond 6 pages and more, i ran into an even bigger «WTF». So i decided to build 3 seperate computers to put the theory’s to the test!

Let me know if someone is still struggeling with theese problems or have come up with a solution!

Zap

So I'm having the same issues on Linux Arch. Got a Ryzen 3600 and a GTX 1070 with its proprietary drivers. I'm using the x264 encoder, and when just recording my desktop (with only zoom and a web browser running on background) (not streaming) I still get 20% rendering frame skip.#
Removing the preview helps a little bit, but I still lose frames as the recording fps dips below 60 "at times".

Total system load when recording: GPU load is under 20% and around 20% for the CPU.

Thus I think it might be some GPU or CPU scheduling issue here. I've been using the "run as administrator" workaround on windows, but now that I've made the full switch to linux its a problem again. Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't have a resource bottleneck here, and Games run fine on max settings (so not a linux driver issue).

View attachment 63801View attachment 63802
Probably not the same issue described in the main post. You're not running at 100% and you're already dropping frames.

Zap

Is this thread still alive in 2021 or has it been taken by the covid as well?
If not, i bumped into the same problem as the rest of the thread, but the «virus» has evolved!

After runing into the same brick wall as mentioned above and beyond 6 pages and more, i ran into an even bigger «WTF». So i decided to build 3 seperate computers to put the theory’s to the test!

Let me know if someone is still struggeling with theese problems or have come up with a solution!
Any results?