Looking for a script: Write to log or pop-up a window if video source input goes dark

Walter Schulz

Hello!

I lack the skills/knowledge to make it work: Is there a script/plug-in that will log an alarm or open a window with warning message if video stream goes dark?

Background: There is a desk with an unhealthy amount of devices between source (PC) and display. Display will go dark at random for a few seconds. And yes: No analyzer around to corner this one.
My idea: Disconnect display and plug cable to laptop with capture device. Use OBS to record long-time. Check footage for "no input/darkness". Input will be static (bright). If no error is found: Check next device down the line.
Would be helpful not having to load it into some tool to check luminance drops.

Thanks for your assistance! Also open for better ideas without budget/tools!

Ciao
Walter

khaver

You should look into the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin found on this site. It can check for video patterns or movement (or no pattern or movement) in video sources (video file, display capture, window capture, etc.) and trigger various operations in OBS.

AaronD

Walter Schulz

Perfect!
Macro is running but I have a beginner question.
I'm using file action to log transition and append text to log file. Works. Missing:
- Want to log time of transition. What is the proper syntax to write system time to text file? I'm on Windows 10, BTW. %time% isn't resolved at runtime.

AaronD

What is the proper syntax to write system time to text file? I'm on Windows 10, BTW. %time% isn't resolved at runtime.
Ask the author:
:-)