LocalVocal: Local Live Captions & Translation On-the-Go

LocalVocal: Local Live Captions & Translation On-the-Go v0.2.3

Farin_Nbg

Hi and first of all thanks a lot for this plugin. I´ve just installed the latest version 0.1.0 for Windows and jumped directly into the configuration.
When I came to the "subtitles output" I´ve got only two options: None and text file. Has the subtitle option been removed from this version? Or are there any preconditions for this that I have overlooked in my enthusiasm?

royshilkrot

Hi and first of all thanks a lot for this plugin. I´ve just installed the latest version 0.1.0 for Windows and jumped directly into the configuration.
When I came to the "subtitles output" I´ve got only two options: None and text file. Has the subtitle option been removed from this version? Or are there any preconditions for this that I have overlooked in my enthusiasm?
Add a text source to your scene and it will pop-up in the drop down selection. LocalVocal will now send the results to that text source

Geoffhellyer

hmm indeed the labels are not coming up
It must be failing to load the en-US locale translation file.
I will look into it. Thanks for the feedback!
Hi Roy, I get the same issue, no subtitle option in the drop down menu just no output or text file output. What could be the issue?

dreambuilder

This would be impossible to integrate into the CC for Twitch/YouTube right? Would be like the GOAT plugin if it that is possible in the near future or at least with 1 language because I think Twitch doesn't support multiple CCs

royshilkrot

This would be impossible to integrate into the CC for Twitch/YouTube right? Would be like the GOAT plugin if it that is possible in the near future or at least with 1 language because I think Twitch doesn't support multiple CCs
Actually you can stream the subs to the 608/708 CC channel on yt or twitch or any other platform by enabling "send captions to stream" in the settings. You can also have more control by sending the captions directly using the POST endpoint: POST YouTube Captions: OBS w URL/API Source [Tutorial]

gifog

Sounds like a great plugin which will help me enormously. I am new to OBS etc, and I cannot see the plugin under filters. I installed it on Windows 64-bit, no errors. When I open the filters on an audio source, the plugin does not show. What am I missing?
1711090882240.png

gifog

Sure thing, attached are the logs. I've just seen in the logs that the obs-localvocal.dll ist not found. But see attached screenshot, it is there (last entry).

Attachments

• 2024-03-22 07-10-34.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-03-22 131410.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-22 131410.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

royshilkrot

royshilkrot updated LocalVocal: Local Live Transcription/Captions On-the-Go with a new update entry:

v0.2.0 - CUDA on Windows! Mac Apple ARM optimization!

Introducing: CUDA for Windows!
Now compiling Whisper.cpp vs. CUDA 11 and 12 for GPU accelerated runtime on Windows, which can result in ~x5-x10 faster inference.
With GPU acceleration you can now go for bigger models like Medium and still have very fast transcription with incredible accuracy in many languages.

Also introducing MacOS Apple Silicon optimizations for M1/M2/M3 processors, which results in performance bumps and utilizes your hardware better.

Enjoy!

Download:

Read the rest of this update entry...

LittleGelato

Hey guys, what a sick plugin! I am attempting to apply the filter twice to my mic in a live stream, once for English and once for Portuguese, but I'm getting mixed results before going live. Maybe this is too intensive to run twice but I'll give some more info for context.
-I installed the Cuda 12.2.0 version to the latest OBS 30.1.1 (64 bit) and I have a tuned RTX4060 paired with an i7-13700H CPU.
-At first it was running without issues with Base 141M on English with translate enabled to keep it always in English and Small 465M on Portuguese with no translate (Portuguese seems to translate from English even without translate enabled), but randomly it started crashing during tests.
-I noticed that turning off Stream Captions on one filter helped but then the problem came up again.
-Zero crashes when only showing/enabling 1 filter at a time.

Questions:
-Should I use the CPU version instead?
-Can and should I install both the Cuda and the CPU versions and use one of each?
-Can I leave the English one hidden/disabled in the filters while still streaming the captions to streaming platforms? That way it can have one embedded in the stream and one sent to the platform that could be placed on top of the embedded captions by viewers who want the other language. (Maybe the most ideal option so the stream isn't only captions)
-If not is there a lighter way to accomplish two languages at once? Maybe use LV to transcribe and then another option to translate the transcription in another text source.
-Is it possible to add an option to output to two lines in a text source with the top line native and the bottom line translated?

P.S. I use the Small for Portuguese because it seems to make more mistakes than the English version on lower settings.

Thank y'all so much for any help as this is already amazing and I'm just trying to squeeze everything I can out of it :D
Cheers!

royshilkrot

Hey guys, what a sick plugin! I am attempting to apply the filter twice to my mic in a live stream, once for English and once for Portuguese, but I'm getting mixed results before going live. Maybe this is too intensive to run twice but I'll give some more info for context.
-I installed the Cuda 12.2.0 version to the latest OBS 30.1.1 (64 bit) and I have a tuned RTX4060 paired with an i7-13700H CPU.
-At first it was running without issues with Base 141M on English with translate enabled to keep it always in English and Small 465M on Portuguese with no translate (Portuguese seems to translate from English even without translate enabled), but randomly it started crashing during tests.
-I noticed that turning off Stream Captions on one filter helped but then the problem came up again.
-Zero crashes when only showing/enabling 1 filter at a time.

Questions:
-Should I use the CPU version instead?
-Can and should I install both the Cuda and the CPU versions and use one of each?
-Can I leave the English one hidden/disabled in the filters while still streaming the captions to streaming platforms? That way it can have one embedded in the stream and one sent to the platform that could be placed on top of the embedded captions by viewers who want the other language. (Maybe the most ideal option so the stream isn't only captions)
-If not is there a lighter way to accomplish two languages at once? Maybe use LV to transcribe and then another option to translate the transcription in another text source.
-Is it possible to add an option to output to two lines in a text source with the top line native and the bottom line translated?

P.S. I use the Small for Portuguese because it seems to make more mistakes than the English version on lower settings.

Thank y'all so much for any help as this is already amazing and I'm just trying to squeeze everything I can out of it :D
Cheers!
Thanks for trying it out!
I'm also very glad you got it working.
In general, I would be careful about running multiple instances of the filter especially GPU since it loads up cuda memory and that's buggy sometimes.

But let me just understand
You're speaking one language or two?
In general the non English models are multilingual and should pick up any language. I think there's an "auto" language where it tries to guess the spoken language.

Anyway you've asked about the captions and translation
The answer is yes that should be available - sending the original caps one way and the translation another way so you have a choice. That's coming up as a feature

vpgits

Can I ask what are the installation steps for an Ubuntu machine?
I have built the plugin using the documentation guidelines.Then I followed it further to copy the compiled files in the usr directory. But however when I relaunched OBS and attempted to open the filter section for desktop audio, I did not see the plugin. Have I missed anything ?

royshilkrot

Can I ask what are the installation steps for an Ubuntu machine?
I have built the plugin using the documentation guidelines.Then I followed it further to copy the compiled files in the usr directory. But however when I relaunched OBS and attempted to open the filter section for desktop audio, I did not see the plugin. Have I missed anything ?
There are two installation location for Linux one in the user home folder and one in /usr
Please refer to the OBS knowledge base https://obsproject.com/kb/plugins-guide

vpgits

Thanks. So the issue here is I am trying to install obs-localvocal, and its documentation specifies to copy the compiled files to the /usr directory. But even after doing that, my installed plugin doesn't show up on OBS.
Update:
So this issue mentioned was happening when i dump the plugin files to the .config directory. If i place them in the /usr directory I can't launch OBS at all.
Bash:
obs: symbol lookup error: /usr//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/obs-plugins/obs-localvocal.so: undefined symbol: GetX86Info
obs: symbol lookup error: /usr//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/obs-plugins/obs-localvocal.so: undefined symbol: GetX86Info
I get this error message.

royshilkrot

Update:
So this issue mentioned was happening when i dump the plugin files to the .config directory. If i place them in the /usr directory I can't launch OBS at all.
Bash:
I get this error message.
Thanks I need to look into what is that symbol and fix the linking. Thanks!
Would you actually add an issue on the GitHub repo?