Question / Help Issues with Ryzen 7 2700x

hAxelS

Hey guys, i just got my new Ryzen 2700x that i bought to be able to stream with x264 encoder.
I've tried different presets and resolutions but i my stream gets reeeeaaally laggy. My cpu only runs at 30% while streaming and playing csgo, i have almost no frame drops ingame. But my stream has terrible lags. Sometimes it says encoding overload and sometimes it doesnt say anything but is still lagging like crazy!

I have no idea how this is happening, the 2700x should be able to stream with fast/medium preset. I could really use some help, i can't be the only one with this problem?

I really dont want to use the AMD encoder because the quality isn't really good. I've streamed with 6000kb/s and Quality preset but it still doesn't look nice.

Specs:
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 380X 4GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2666MHz 16GB (2x8GB)
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Attachments

• 2019-04-17 01-58-26.txt
    58.8 KB · Views: 56

Saxopwned

I fixed a lot of issues I had in Apex and Overwatch in SLOBS (when I switched to Vega 56), before Mordhau came out and it started happening again. I tried switching to OBS Studio (I'm probably just gonna keep using it tbh) but have noticed hardcore lag on stream, especially when playing at a higher framerate in-game. The weird part is that it happens with either AMD or x264 encoding, no matter the bitrate or resolution. When the GPU is fully pegged but at only 70-90 FPS (in the middle of intense battles), everything works fine. Not sure why it goes nuts at high FPS.

When I was having the same issues previously, turning off Freesync fixed it, but now it doesn't. I even limited FPS to my monitor's native 144 to limit GPU usage, and it still goes nuts when it's up there. If I had to hazard a guess, it's probably due to OBS having issues with caturing and limiting high FPS games.

For reference, I have a Ryzen 7 1700 and Vega 56 with 16 GB DDR4 @ 3000 mHz

deadmat94

If I'm not wrong, the OBS uses the GPU to render scenes and sources, even if you set the render to x264, so it's not recommended to let the game use 100% of the GPU. If you uncap the fps, than the GPU will force the game to it's max, causing higher fps, and 100% usage.
The solution would be cap game to 60fps, or lowering the graphics.

Saxopwned

I'm probably going to lower my monitor refresh to 120 and cap FPS to that, and see what happens tonight. Will report my findings back!

carlmmii

@deadmat94, you are correct in the fact that OBS uses the GPU for scene rendering. However, GPU overload normally results in rendering lag occurring, not encoding lag (unless using NVENC or AMF encoding).

OP, you're using SLOBS. This is the support forum for OBS studio. While the programs are similar, the direct support for SLOBS can only really be given by the SLOBS team. If you're observing the same problems in OBS Studio, then please post a log file from there.

Saxopwned

While recording in OBS Studio at limited 120 FPS and 120 on monitor, the recordings turned out much better after turning off ambient occlusion in Mordhau, even when using x264 at 720p and 5500 bitrate, which leads me to believe it really is just a GPU load issue, as odd as that is.

This afternoon I will try re-enabling freesync again, and will report back again.