Isn't it too much of a size?

koala

You vary the actual bitrate of CQP indirectly with the quality parameter. If you increase the CQ value, the file size shrinks. CBR uses the same given bitrate for every material, which is inappropriate for very fast and very slow motion. For slow motion, you need much less bitrate, for fast motion you need much more bitrate. CQP accommodates this perfectly, while CBR tunes down the quality for fast motion and wastes disk space for slow motion.

Paka14

You vary the actual bitrate of CQP indirectly with the quality parameter. If you increase the CQ value, the file size shrinks. CBR uses the same given bitrate for every material, which is inappropriate for very fast and very slow motion. For slow motion, you need much less bitrate, for fast motion you need much more bitrate. CQP accommodates this perfectly, while CBR tunes down the quality for fast motion and wastes disk space for slow motion.

Yep, I understand that sir, the thing is- I ain't some big YT-er or anything, and currently let's say I have 20 CQP, if I wanted to go any higher (f.e. 24 or so) the quality is crap, and if I go lower- it's just almost the same quality but bigger size (obvious). So 20 is let's say a sweet spot. But the thing I noticed is that if I set CQP 25 for example, the bitrate is like 60k or 70k or so, but recording looks bad (with more size than CBR 40k, which is good quality). So my point is- I'm not sure if in my case CQP is the way to go if CBR 40k seems good quality on my device to me. Is my thinking a'ight or no?

koala

I'm unable to tell some fixed value. It depends on the material you're recording, the resolution and fps, and your personal perception. I, personally, record with CQP=18 and in postprocessing, I cut and recode this with x264 with crf=20 or 21 (don't remember, it's some time I revised my settings). This results in about half to a quarter the file size with no visual impact, and it's independent of resolution or fps. Bitrate isn't independent of resolution or fps: if you increase one of these, you need to increase the bitrate as well to give the more data more space.

Paka14

I'm unable to tell some fixed value. It depends on the material you're recording, the resolution and fps, and your personal perception. I, personally, record with CQP=18 and in postprocessing, I cut and recode this with x264 with crf=20 or 21 (don't remember, it's some time I revised my settings). This results in about half to a quarter the file size with no visual impact, and it's independent of resolution or fps. Bitrate isn't independent of resolution or fps: if you increase one of these, you need to increase the bitrate as well to give the more data more space.

Have u used Handbrake for encoding or OBS has some option for it?

koala

For simple cutting of slack with no real postprocessing for archiving, I use Avidemux, since it exposes the full ffmpeg x264 encoder for encoding or just cutting without recoding. Handbrake is only able to convert/recode. As of now, I avoid recoding, because I have plenty of disk space - with today's hard disks, it's actually unlimited.