Is there a way to give OBS more process priority?

Hyomushka

Good evening, I wonder is there a way to give OBS more process priority? OBS (and stream so) is lagging when game start lagging due the limit of GPU resource, it's understandable, but can we do something about it?

My current problem setup: I play a game with 144 capped fps and screen capture source, and if framerate drops like a little above, obs starts insanely lagging. In my screen all works perfectly fine, not in 144 fps but like in 130 and at this moment stream completely die with huuuuge lags (tested in Middle-earth: Shadow of War, obs last version)
Question: Can I do something, to force my pc use resources primary on OBS, so the game lags more, but not the program?
My idea: Maybe i somehow can cap my gpu power and give this only in OBS usage, but i don't know if this possible and how to do it

Things not about this topic:
Firstly, I already turned on "Process priority" setting in Settings > Advanced, but this don't affect much
I know i can cap my game fps lower/use the game capture instead of screen capture/lower game settings game/change encode settings and etc. and it will help, but the question is, can the obs perform over games, so game will lag more and all needed resources go straight to OBS

Thanks for any help <3

Lawrence_SoCal

Firstly, I already turned on "Process priority" setting in Settings > Advanced, but this don't affect much
yup, that is for CPU scheduling
I know i can cap my game fps lower/use the game capture instead of screen capture/lower game settings game/change encode settings and etc. and it will help, but the question is, can the obs perform over games, so game will lag more and all needed resources go straight to OBS
One thing to consider is making sure OBS is efficient (lowest resource usage for desired output)
1. that includes not rescaling if you don't need to (and the method of re-scaling used)
2. monitor refresh rate to recording FPS correlation - what are you streaming/recording at ? 60fps?
A strong recommendation is to keep screen refresh rate an even multiple of your FPS, so at 60fps, have screen at 60HZm or 120, NOT 144... worth testing at least.

I recently came across a gaming optimization article. I noticed a number of the recommendations would cause problems with many (most?) screen capturing tools like OBS Studio. I mention this just in case that is news to you.
And then there are the Encoding settings you might be using (if not in simple mode) [hence pinned post in this forum requesting your OBS Studio log]

Hyomushka

1. that includes not rescaling if you don't need to (and the method of re-scaling used)
I use 2k monitor and use Lanczos rescale
12:59:13.527: base resolution: 2560x1440
12:59:13.527: output resolution: 1920x1080
12:59:13.527: downscale filter: Lanczos
I tested putting base resolution at 1080p but don't see much difference in performance. Do you think is better put 1080p base resolution even I use 2k monitor?
2. monitor refresh rate to recording FPS correlation - what are you streaming/recording at ? 60fps?
Yea, I stream at 60 fps and using even fps lock that new for me, i will try to cap game at 120 fps and test this out!
I recently came across a gaming optimization article. I noticed a number of the recommendations would cause problems with many (most?) screen capturing tools like OBS Studio. I mention this just in case that is news to you.
I'm not completely get it, about what gaming optimization is this about?

Also attached my OBS log, but i think i use pretty balanced encoding setting

Thanks for help and for you answer!

Attachments

• 2024-04-19 12-59-13.txt
    74.1 KB · Views: 7

qhobbes

1. Browser hardware acceleration is currently disabled. Enabling acceleration is highly recommended due to the improvements to performance and significantly lower CPU usage for browser sources. This can be enabled in Settings -> Advanced.
2. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (hpg, rgg, darksouls, game only, and Сцена).
3. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues.
If you cannot change the refresh rate on your AOC Q27G2SG4 from 155 Hz to 120 Hz or 60 Hz, then don't game on it. Going from 155 FPS to 60 FPS is trying to get 12 out of every 31 frames.
4. Encoder overload is related to your GPU being overloaded. In the video encoding settings, disable Lookahead and Multipass to Singlepass. Those use additional GPU.

If still having issues after making those change, make a new Scene Collection with 1 Scene with 1 Game Capture Source and nothing else. Close and restart OBS.

If still having issues with that, post new log.

Hyomushka

1. Browser hardware acceleration is currently disabled. Enabling acceleration is highly recommended due to the improvements to performance and significantly lower CPU usage for browser sources. This can be enabled in Settings -> Advanced.
But if we are talking about GPU overload, isn't be better to reassign some task to CPU to lower GPU usage?
2. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (hpg, rgg, darksouls, game only, and Сцена).
Even if one of then is turned off? So your advice is to duplicate the scene but one will be with display capture and another one with game capture? Is this working same with window caption? If not maybe capture game with window capture not with game capture?
If still having issues after making those change, make a new Scene Collection with 1 Scene with 1 Game Capture Source and nothing else. Close and restart OBS.
This interesting, switching scene collection increasing performance, even when switch back to complex scene it's starts working better, even with out OBS restart. So if I start OBS with my regular scene collection, then switch to new one, then switching back, that helps a lot. Why?

And thanks for help and for you answers! <3

qhobbes

I'm fully convinced that your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER with 16 GB of RAM is capable of simultaneously rendering a 3D game, rendering it in the OBS preview, accelerating a browser source and encoding 1080p 60 FPS video without issues with the correct settings.

Yes, never put them in the same scene. Unless you need to capture Windows stuff such as Start menu and Desktop, don't use Display Capture at all.
If you do need to use it, put it in it's own scene with preferably nothing else.