Question / Help Is it time to Upgrade? If so WHAT?

pugofwallstret

Hi y'all, I've been streaming casually for about 2 years now. Mainly esports titles that don't push my Rx 480 8gb too hard, but recently I started playing Modern Warfare and I have been unable to have a clean and stutter-free stream. I bought a Ryzen 7 1700x a year ago and my stream went from barely viewable to very nice indeed but at this moment I've reached another roadblock and I have no clue what to do. I stream and record utilizing x264 (CBR 4500 Very Fast and CRF15 ultrafast) but my GPU is incapable of giving enough resources to both the game and OBS. I saw that there was a massive problem with GPU allocation with windows 1809 and that in 1909 it began the process of patching, I also realize that OBS must run in administrator mode in the latest update but nothing will do. Only playing MW will max out my GPU at 100% so if the game has preference over OBS there is literally nothing to allocate, moreover, MW will randomly freeze for a few seconds and completely tank OBS. Should I get a better GPU? If so NVIDIA or AMD? Should I look for NVENC to stream or find extra GPU power so it doesn't get maxed out by the game?

I have never been able to get a perfect1080p60fps recording, they have always been just a tad stuttery but not like this.

I play on a 144hz monitor but every time I stream I set the refresh rate to 60hz and limit the fps to 60 as well so there is nothing else to do ):

Recording https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7np_vW2f3YY&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• 2019-12-17 18-24-48.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 21

Narcogen

60 doesn't divide into 144 evenly, so there's going to be some stuttering no matter what.

A 120hz monitor instead would work much better.

For my money, best bang for the buck in an encoder right now is the Nvidia 1660. It doesn't do ray tracing and it isn't a 20xx series card; it's sort of like getting a 1070 with the Turing encoder chip from the 2080.

That would absolutely be a better performer in games than your 480, and also be a better encoder without providing more load to your CPU. I use one and I'm very happy with it.

Mister36

Another thing is that MW especially is known to cause performance issues while streaming/recording, even on high-end hardware, usually people had to tone down game settings.

pugofwallstret

Another thing is that MW especially is known to cause performance issues while streaming/recording, even on high-end hardware, usually people had to tone down game settings.
I have the same issue no matter the setings in game. no frame drops whatsoever but the recordings look choppy and stuttery as all hell.