iPad OS support

VALNOZCO

Will there ever be a version of OBS for iPad? I’ve tried switcher and it just isn’t as feature packed as OBS is and you can’t use a DSLR for video input to your stream. I guess this might be a niche, but I already have an iPad and a camera, and don’t want to buy a computer just to do livestreams with good video quality, focal length, and depth of field.

zackW

Will there ever be a version of OBS for iPad? I’ve tried switcher and it just isn’t as feature packed as OBS is and you can’t use a DSLR for video input to your stream. I guess this might be a niche, but I already have an iPad and a camera, and don’t want to buy a computer just to do livestreams with good video quality, focal length, and depth of field.

How to do that and what's the benefit of it?

wizard8080

Have you tried Airmix? Way more feature rich than Switcher iPad and can connect to a DSLR or mirrorless via an hdmi rtsp encoder. Or the LUMIX GH5ii supports rtsp built-in.

We have no plans to make a version of OBS for mobile devices.

Just feedback, it would be really great to have OBS on iPad and iPhone. For mobile live-streaming a laptop and mouse are too cumbersome.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It's important for people to understand that making a version of OBS for mobile devices would effectively be writing a a completely new version of OBS from scratch while maintaining the existing desktop version. That is an enormous task.

LaughterOnWater

We have no plans to make a version of OBS for mobile devices.
I know this is an old post, but...
The only reason I can think of that might stop development is heat dissipation issue specifically due to long-term use of the graphics on the integrated GPU. If that's not an issue, I hope you'll soon reconsider for the following reasons:
  • The 12.9 Inch Ipad Pro is capable of
    • editing and rendering 4K video in DaVinci Resolve and LumaFusion
    • with a dongle:
      • multiple screens
      • Ethernet
      • external webcam and mic
      • simulaneously receiving power
  • Maybe not the best reference, but Microsoft won't allow iPad Pro users to take advantage of the free Office software for the less sophisticated iPads (non-Pro) because it's too powerful in their estimation to be considered merely a tablet.
  • For many people's needs, actually replacing a laptop.
There's talk of an even more powerful M3 chip for iPad Pro, which would be even more powerful, more capable.
It would be an enormous task, but it might be worth it.

LaughterOnWater

While the hardware may be up to the task, the OS prevents you from running applications like OBS.
So... I know this is old, but I'd like to revive this. External webcams and cameras are now supported. There is no other sufficiently robust app that touches what OBS can do in this arena. Is there still any reason why this cannot be ported to OBS?