Internet Drops Only When Streaming from OBS...?

prxyrse

Hello,
I help on the tech side of things with my partner's streaming.
We've been having issues with it for a long time now, and have tried multiple things. New Router, Changing Settings, you name it. Only thing it feels like we haven't done is change ISPs (which, seems kind of impossible for us at the moment where our money is).
I was thinking, as a last resort before throwing my money at a new ISP, I could reach out on here and hopefully get some answers.
Attached is a log from tonight, from our last attempt at streaming.
I want to note that OBS tends to drop first, then the whole connection drops for both computers a few moments after...

Lawrence_SoCal

Have you tried removing StreamElements (which puked all over the log) from that system?
I literally can't tell from the log if StreamElements issues are due to network problem, or StreamElements causing the issue
StreamElements is KNOWN to have lots of code quality issues
so if you've tried lots of other, I'd start there.
I can't even find the start of the stream in that log (i there was one). You are NOT using WiFi, right?

You also have audio at 2 different sampling rates (never recommended). And why an old version of Win10?

Anyway, I'm not a gamer, so maybe/hopefully someone else here will have some more specific insights

prxyrse

Have you tried removing StreamElements (which puked all over the log) from that system?
I literally can't tell from the log if StreamElements issues are due to network problem, or StreamElements causing the issue
StreamElements is KNOWN to have lots of code quality issues
so if you've tried lots of other, I'd start there.
I can't even find the start of the stream in that log (i there was one). You are NOT using WiFi, right?
We are not using Wifi and have not tried not using Stream Elements because he had been using it for a lot of graphics reasons. I will remove it next time we stream to test it out; I had considered it may be the issue but I am definitely super new fo OBS and it’s logging… so I couldn’t fully tell if that was the issue or if that was just normal logging.

You also have audio at 2 different sampling rates (never recommended). And why an old version of Win10?
I have no idea why it’s at two different sampling rates, that’s really weird… we must have turned that on on accident.

Also, it shouldn’t be an old version of Windows 10, the Update section in Settings has been saying it’s the latest version; we check it frequently… hm…

I’ll at least start with uninstalling Stream Elements, resetting the settings overall, and go from there. Thanks!

prxyrse

Also if it turns out to be Stream Elements all along, I’ll take the L and say I thought we had tried uninstalling it, but maybe we hadn’t because we had been using it for the overlay ^^; thanks again…

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
If all PCs are losing connectivity, this suggests something outside of OBS is at fault, likely your router or ISP.

prxyrse

If all PCs are losing connectivity, this suggests something outside of OBS is at fault, likely your router or ISP.
It’s very odd because since getting a new router it doesn’t really go out unless we are using OBS… so I’m wondering if our ISP just has problems with OBS or Stream Elements, or something like that (like, perhaps it thinks OBS or Stream Elements is an attack or something of the sort?)…
Though I’ll be honest, I’m really new to OBS, so everything I’m saying could be gibberish and wrong ^^;

Lawrence_SoCal

The issue is not OBS or StreamElements, most likely, but what you are doing, which is sending a lot of data UPSTREAM (ie, away from you, vs most activity being a data retrieval effort like web surfing, watching videos, etc). And regardless of OBS or other streaming tool, streaming is using the same protocol (protocol being dictated by stream hosting company .. ie FB, YT, Twitch, etc) and that protocol/port info is very well known.

What have you done to test your sustained upload bandwidth?

prxyrse

The issue is not OBS or StreamElements, most likely, but what you are doing, which is sending a lot of data UPSTREAM (ie, away from you, vs most activity being a data retrieval effort like web surfing, watching videos, etc). And regardless of OBS or other streaming tool, streaming is using the same protocol (protocol being dictated by stream hosting company .. ie FB, YT, Twitch, etc) and that protocol/port info is very well known.

We had done a test stream last night after uninstalling StreamElements from OBS and the ISP updating things on their end. We’ve had no dropping from the internet since, and will be doing another stream tonight to make sure… so either the ISP helped and/or uninstalling StreamElements OBS.live helped.

What have you done to test your sustained upload bandwidth?

We’ve used Speedtest by Ookla, as well as the Speedtest our new router came with, and get an average of 114.87 mbps upload speed (I’m unsure of that is what you are asking for, sorry, again I am very new). And we have the bitrate set to 2500 in OBS, as well as connect it to the best/closest twitch server TwitchTest specifies…

Lawrence_SoCal

If you truly have over 100mb/s upload speed, then once stable (probably from uninstalling streamlabs) feel free to bump your bitrate up.
For my 720p stream on a 10MB/s (note mb [megabits] is not the same as MB [megabytes], by a factor of 8) i stream at 5000bitrate and I know NOTHING else is using that Internet circuit while I'm streaming