Intermittent audio glitch that ruins streams/recordings after buying new audio device

trufflepig

Hi there, posting for a streamer friend.

They upload videos to Youtube and stream on Twitch and recently bought the TC-Helicon GOXLR Mixer to adjust audio settings live and while recording. Since they purchased this mixer, they are getting intermittent glitches in the audio that make the recording unusable after the issue occurs. It also happens when he is live streaming to Twitch. The only way to fix it is for him to restart OBS (until the next time it occurs).

It seems like the video lags for a second when it happens followed by the audio being extremely choppy and inaudible. I've run through a lot of troubleshooting with them regarding sample and bit rates of devices, etc. They have contacted GOXLR support and they have said they cannot help. I believe it has something to do with OBS' settings.

Here is the LOG file I got them to send me after a session where he noticed the glitch upon reviewing the footage:

Send me a DM and I can show you a video example if you would like to see.

trufflepig

Sorry for second post, can't figure out how to edit my original one. The glitch happens in the final recording of the logfile at exactly 3 minutes and 30 seconds of the recorded video (video is 7m27s long):

Code:
13:54:00.562: ==== Recording Start ===============================================
13:54:00.562: [ffmpeg muxer: 'adv_file_output'] Writing file 'C:/Users/danno/Desktop/Recordings/2020-06-07 13-54-00.mkv'...
13:57:33.313: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 42 milliseconds (source: GOXLR)
13:57:33.313:
13:57:41.275: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 64 milliseconds (source: GOXLR)
13:57:41.275:
13:58:03.696: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 85 milliseconds (source: GOXLR)
13:58:03.696:
14:01:28.062: [ffmpeg muxer: 'adv_file_output'] Output of file 'C:/Users/danno/Desktop/Recordings/2020-06-07 13-54-00.mkv' stopped
14:01:28.062: Output 'adv_file_output': stopping
14:01:28.062: Output 'adv_file_output': Total frames output: 26836
14:01:28.062: Output 'adv_file_output': Total drawn frames: 26815 (26850 attempted)
14:01:28.062: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 35 (0.1%)

Which makes me believe there is some kind of problem with the device buffering? Any tips on how to fix this?

qhobbes

1. Update your Windows per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers . You should at least be on 1909 if not 2004.
2. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it at https://obsproject.com/wiki/GPU-overload-issues
3. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Read about it at https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues
4. Run OBS as Admin.

trufflepig

Thanks for your response. I've sent your advice to my friend. Do you think it's possible that the buffer size of his audio device could be causing problems? He has a 2080 Super GPU and a i7-3700 which should be powerful enough to run everything. He's only playing Magic: The Gathering Arena as well which isn't too intensive of a game.