Question / Help Insane file sizes using NVENC - Windows 10

surodas

I've been doing some testing with different settings of NVENC recently and noticed how insane my file sizes are.
A friend and I both recorded ~20s of footage on the main menu of the same game using the "High Quality, Medium File Size" simple mode preset.
Both at 1080p, here are our results:
ME - 209mb file, 92578kbps bitrate
HIM - 19mb file, 8770kbps bitrate
I've tried reinstalling OBS and NVIDIA drivers to no avail. If anyone could help me out that'd be great.
Cheers

koala

For the quality-based presets, the file size depends on the motion and change of the recorded video. Modern games do much animation even in menu mode. Fade in, fade out - all this is greatly increasing the size demand.
Having said that, 209 mb for 20 seconds menu-only is quite huge for "High Quality, Medium File size". You would expect that for "indistinguishable quality". Post the log of that recording - your actual recording settings can be seen from there.

surodas

Here is the log file, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary...

Attachments

• 2019-04-29 19-06-30.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 35

surodas

After reverting back to OBS version 22.0.2 my 20 second recording has gone down to 70mb with a 30000kbps bitrate, which is great.
I'm still puzzled as to why my friend is getting a 19mb file with the same settings...
I'll attach both our logs

Attachments

• mine.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 39
  • his.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 34