Inconsistent latency/lag whether streaming, recording, or previewing

corbinjames

Hi all,

When I open OBS, the preview window is lagging about 0.5s behind my real-life movements. When I record something, this lag shows up in the recording and I need to offset the audio in VLC to sync them up. But the weird part is the delay is inconsistent. On one recording I need to delay audio by 0.120 seconds to sync audio and video; another recording made the same session I need to delay audio by 0.550 seconds to sync them. To be clear the picture is clear and moving smoothly, there's just latency between between my actions in real life and when I see them on the screen, whether or not I'm streaming/recording. I've used OBS for a couple years without bumping into this issue, and didn't change any settings since the last time I'd used it.

Stuff I've tried includes updating my GPU drivers, updating OBS, changing video format from H264 to MJPEG (helped a lot actually - still a delay but way less than with H264), experimenting with all the video encoders and quality (no difference), changing my output resolution and filters and FPS (no change), etc. If I look at the Stats window, it says I'm using about 5% CPU, average time to render frame is 0.7ms, frames missed due to rendering lag is 0.1% and encoding lag is 0%. My computer is... pretty outdated. I have an i7-860 CPU @2.80Ghz, a 4GB GTX 960 GPU, and 16GB RAM. Webcam is a Logitech C920. I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue, but again, the Stats seem fine.

I think I've done the obvious stuff. Please let me know if there's anything else I might try! And if I need to attach any logs, happy to - just let me know which ones. I'm a little out of my depth at this point.

Thank you!

PaiSand

Please restart OBS and perform a test recording of at least 30 seconds doing as you normally do, including playing games, full camera or whatever you normally do.
Now look inside Help menu. Upload the current log file and paste the url to the log in here. Click on the Analize button to start troubleshooting common issues.

corbinjames

Thanks so much! It's given me a critical (Audio monitoring device failure), and two warnings (mismatched sample rates and capture interference). I'll get those sorted and see how it goes.

umitsedgi

i have a similar issue and have read in some forums that having a certain video card would help fixing the delay amount which eventually solves the problem. Do you agree? if so what video card do you recommend?

I really need to solve this audio/video sync issue and have a budget for it up to $500-600.

my system:
1694137698164.png

6 PTZ cameras connected to a switch and plugged into the computer
audio goes into qsc16 digital mixer and the output is channeled into the computer in the line-in port.
computer is win 11 i9 CPU 64 gb ram 4gb nvidia card (bought the computer 6 months ago)