I9 13900K x264 encoder overloaded HELP

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Yes I can but I thought since I have an i9 13900k I could use the cpu for streaming as well. So I can get more fps for the games
NVENC does not take resources away from the game unless you use lookahead / AQ, it's a separate part of the card. Plus it's generally better quality than x264.

sixdenk

Your experience is a better benchmark than anything else, in terms of determining suitability for your use-case.

There are so many different metrics, that "half the power" doesn't really mean anything. They might have half of something that doesn't matter, and a lot more of something that does. For the same reason, the formal benchmarks are also not all that useful except for a very general ballpark.
Anyways so it can be the game which causes the problem using cpu for streaming right? So warzone 2 ist just bad optimization. (Coded) ?
NVENC does not take resources away from the game unless you use lookahead / AQ, it's a separate part of the card. Plus it's generally better quality than x264.
oh ok! That’s what I wanted to hear. Thank you so much. :)

sixdenk

Anyways so it can be the game which causes the problem using cpu for streaming right? So warzone 2 ist just bad optimization. (Coded) ?

oh ok! That’s what I wanted to hear. Thank you so much. :)
Yeah I was just testing the stream again with nvenc and warzone 2
It looks very clean
Obs not even lost 1 frame and the game has 220 fps on wqhd

Then I leave it like that

AaronD

Pretty much all games are highly optimized. It's fascinating to see how early gaming systems were pushed to the limits of what they could do, and how the programmers of that time did it. Especially what tricks they used, when the hardware didn't officially support what they made it do anyway.

Modern games are the same way. The numbers are higher now, but there's still no way that a simple, straightforward program could do what a good game does, in fact, do. (or at least *appear* to do, which is all that matters) Gaming is still very much an exercise in squeezing every last bit of performance out of a system, even if the code has to be convoluted to get it. Bad optimization just doesn't compete in that environment.

So there's that, plus the massive load that you're adding by trying to encode high-spec video on the same general-purpose CPU, all in real time. Like I said, nothing is infinite.

If there's a section of GPU that is dedicated to video encoding, and the game can't use it for anything else (or at least *isn't* using it), then it's effectively free processing power to use it for its designed job.