I9 13900K x264 encoder overloaded HELP

sixdenk

Hello my specs are

I9 13900K
RTX 4090
32GB DDR5 7200HZ

When I stream over NVENC it works but as soon I try to stream over CPU (x264) I get encoder overload and after some time my game crashes (Warzone 2)

Also I see fps drops to 20 or less in OBS while using x264.

I don’t understand my specs should be Highend right?

Here is a log

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 2023-04-27_10-14-22.txt
    194.2 KB · Views: 59

stephantw

well your x264 is set to medium, try turning that down to like fast, unsure if medium is even used by people for streaming but it is a big hit to cpu usage over fast

sixdenk

Wait you want to tell me that medium is too much for an i9 13900K ?
In task manager the cpu says 40% with medium though

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
x264 doesn't scale linearly with core count, there's only so much parellization possible.

sixdenk

Ok i found the problem. It was because of streamelements plug-in (activity feed) when I turned this off stream is stable all the time. Even with streaming medium no issues. BUT when I play warzone 2 and stream over x264 after some time warzone 2 crashes but stream is still working with no issues.

Do I have to use an app to split the cores for obs and warzone? Or why does warzone 2 crashes

Thanks for the help

AaronD

When I stream over NVENC it works
Is there a reason not to do that then? Usually the recommendation is to always use the GPU when you can.

I don’t understand my specs should be Highend right?
Nothing is infinite. Video encoding takes a lot of processing power, which is why the GPU includes that function. The CPU can do anything, by design...eventually...but a GPU's architecture is much better suited for it.

sixdenk

yeah but I thought when I change to cpu (x264) which is an Highend cpu i9 13900k I can get more fps for warzone 2, right?

But as I said as soon I change to x264 after a while warzone 2 crashes and soon after that obs crashes.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Perhaps your system is unstable, turn off any overclocking and try a memory check such as Prime95.

sixdenk

Perhaps your system is unstable, turn off any overclocking and try a memory check such as Prime95.

There is no overlocking on my system as I don’t think I need an overclock with these specs?

I’ll try the memory check as you said.
I enabled xmp2 for ram on bios (DDR5 32gb 7200)
That’s all

sixdenk

If you have some tips as well what I can check please let me know.

What I wanted to ask you. It should be fine if I use the cpu (x264) for streaming right?
And play warzone 2 so I get more fps with the rtx 4090?

The settings I did with x264
CBR
6500 kbits
2s
Medium
High

AaronD

yeah but I thought when I change to cpu (x264) which is an Highend cpu i9 13900k I can get more fps for warzone 2, right?
If your GPU is underpowered, or a modern game is set to max, then you might gain something by moving some of the GPU load onto the CPU. But like I said, that's the opposite direction from what is normally recommended.

That said, you physiologically don't need any more than 1920x1080p60 for any game. That's already more pixels than you can see (unless you hyper-focus on that to the neglect of what's actually going on, which would make you a terrible gamer), and a higher frame rate than you can react to. Anything beyond that is just a waste of processing power.
(or a combination of (A) a marketing gag to attract people who think that bigger is always better and don't realize that there's a limit to perception itself, and (B) a trick to get a higher bitrate through YouTube, both of which can be accomplished by keeping everything - screen, game, canvas, etc. - at 1920x1080p60 for practical/computational reasons, and scaling up the final output in Settings -> Video)

But as I said as soon I change to x264 after a while warzone 2 crashes and soon after that obs crashes.
So your CPU isn't up to it either. At least not with those settings in combination with the game's demands.

sixdenk

If your GPU is underpowered, or a modern game is set to max, then you might gain something by moving some of the GPU load onto the CPU. But like I said, that's the opposite direction from what is normally recommended.

That said, you physiologically don't need any more than 1920x1080p60 for any game. That's already more pixels than you can see (unless you hyper-focus on that to the neglect of what's actually going on, which would make you a terrible gamer), and a higher frame rate than you can react to. Anything beyond that is just a waste of processing power.
(or a combination of (A) a marketing gag to attract people who think that bigger is always better and don't realize that there's a limit to perception itself, and (B) a trick to get a higher bitrate through YouTube, both of which can be accomplished by keeping everything - screen, game, canvas, etc. - at 1920x1080p60 for practical/computational reasons, and scaling up the final output in Settings -> Video)

So your CPU isn't up to it either. At least not with those settings in combination with the game's demands.
I hope you don’t compare 1920x1080p60
with 2550x1440p x
But trust me you feel a difference between full hd 60 and 2k 240hz. Why? Because I have been on full hd 60 my whole life (console player) and switched to pc and there is 100% a difference

And clearly my cpu is powerful enough for these settings or do you have an i9 13900k in your build?

I stream on Twitch not YouTube.

AaronD

I hope you don’t compare 1920x1080p60
with 2550x1440p x
You can't see the difference unless you hyper-focus on that and ignore everything else. 1920x1080 is already that good.

And clearly my cpu is powerful enough for these settings or do you have an i9 13900k in your build?
I'm just going by your reports. You have that hardware, and all of the details in your reports say that it's overloaded.

sixdenk

You can't see the difference unless you hyper-focus on that and ignore everything else. 1920x1080 is already that good.

I'm just going by your reports. You have that hardware, and all of the details in your reports say that it's overloaded.
You tell me that a i9 13900k + rtx 4090 can’t handle a game and a stream lol. Ok then I should wait till next hardware?

sixdenk

You can see 100% a difference. It’s a lot smoother for sure. Or do you still watch movies on full hd because 4k movies look same for you?

sixdenk

Marketing means nothing. Your own reports say that it's not up to the task that you have for it.
Hahah you are really funny.
I read people have half the power but can handle that tasks sure you can’t do it with the newest hardware.
There have been benchmarks but sure Marketing….

AaronD

There have been benchmarks but sure Marketing….
Your experience is a better benchmark than anything else, in terms of determining suitability for your use-case.

There are so many different metrics, that "half the power" doesn't really mean anything. They might have half of something that doesn't matter, and a lot more of something that does. For the same reason, the formal benchmarks are also not all that useful except for a very general ballpark.