How to repair MKV files

ExoFalz

Lately, I have been experiencing issues with my PC shutting off abruptly in the midst of recording. I checked to see if the MKV files were saved in the output folder, however these mkv files in particular are unplayable. I tried to convert to MP4 through VLC, tried to Remux and none of these issues work.

Is there a better method of trying to salvage these files?

koala

Check the file size. If it is 0 or only a few kb, the file content is lost completely. Otherwise, it should be possible to salvage existing data via remuxing.
There are 2 different crash situations. If only OBS crashes, writing to the video file is just terminated and the file is closed prematurely. Such files can be recovered by remuxing them in case it is *.mkv format.
If the whole PC crashes or is rebooted forcibly, files aren't just closed, the whole file system is left in an undefined state. Usually, Windows repairs the file system while rebooting, and files that were open and being written to during the crash are often lost completely, leaving only a 0 byte corpse. In this case, there is nothing to recover. Forcibly rebooting a Windows system without shutting it down gracefully always puts the complete data at risk. It's always possible that not only currently opened files are destroyed, every file might get lost during such an incident.

ExoFalz

Check the file size. If it is 0 or only a few kb, the file content is lost completely. Otherwise, it should be possible to salvage existing data via remuxing.
There are 2 different crash situations. If only OBS crashes, writing to the video file is just terminated and the file is closed prematurely. Such files can be recovered by remuxing them in case it is *.mkv format.
If the whole PC crashes or is rebooted forcibly, files aren't just closed, the whole file system is left in an undefined state. Usually, Windows repairs the file system while rebooting, and files that were open and being written to during the crash are often lost completely, leaving only a 0 byte corpse. In this case, there is nothing to recover. Forcibly rebooting a Windows system without shutting it down gracefully always puts the complete data at risk. It's always possible that not only currently opened files are destroyed, every file might get lost during such an incident.

File size for one is 105mb while the other over 400mb, the latter consisting of 40 minutes or so of footage. So how exactly can I salvage these files?

ExoFalz

In OBS, File->Remux Recordings or use an external tool like Handbrake.

Tried to Remux Recordings, doesn't seem to do anything I do not see the new MP4 file. Tried Handbreak. Error trying to open it
From Handbrake's Activity Log:
[18:18:56] Intel Quick Sync Video support: no
[18:18:56] hb_scan: path=C:\Users\Usuario\Videos\2022-03-06 11-01-42.mkv, title_index=0
udfread ERROR: ECMA 167 Volume Recognition failed
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:333: failed opening UDF image C:\Users\Usuario\Videos\2022-03-06 11-01-42.mkv
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:437: error opening file BDMV\index.bdmv
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:437: error opening file BDMV\BACKUP\index.bdmv
src/libbluray/bluray.c:2646: nav_get_title_list(C:\Users\Usuario\Videos\2022-03-06 11-01-42.mkv\) failed
[18:18:56] bd: not a bd - trying as a stream/file instead
libdvdread: DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav: vm: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[18:18:56] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[matroska,webm @ 0000024072244680] 0x00 at pos 0 (0x0) invalid as first byte of an EBML number
[matroska,webm @ 0000024072244680] EBML header parsing failed
[18:18:57] hb_stream_open: open C:\Users\Usuario\Videos\2022-03-06 11-01-42.mkv failed
[18:18:57] scan: unrecognized file type
[18:18:57] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)