Question / Help How to increase Chat Box Canvas size without stretching Chat text?

cadcTV

Ok, so I'm trying to migrate from X-split into OBS because X-split heats my CPU quite a bit, and OBS does a much better job of 1080P60FPS without much trouble.

I have pretty much everything i want working, except for the Chat box..

while it is easy to get exactly what I want on X-split, getting OBS to do the same has been a nightmare and a half, and I just don't know why, because one would think it would be such an easy thing to do, and if it is, I've yet to find a way to do it...

so anyways, what I want to achieve, is to allow text from twitch chat to span most of the with of the screen, and allowing for more text per line without stretching the text. (essentially, expanding the canvas (bounding box) to allow more text space before it goes to a second line)

I have tried Shift+Drag (which scales the text), Control+Drag (Which scales proportionally, but doesn't give me the result I need), and Alt+Drag (which only crops, so useless to me) . I just can't get what I want, am i missing something? it's so simple to do in X-split, it boggles my mind why I would have a hard time with this on OBS.

1fcf60710a2d37cca51f5e2c9ec0b194.jpg

https://gyazo.com/1fcf60710a2d37cca51f5e2c9ec0b194

here is what it looks like in OBS for comparison purposes

d11e77885882fc73f1fe86a71e1c34c9.jpg

https://gyazo.com/d11e77885882fc73f1fe86a71e1c34c9

any way to get the result I'm looking for?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Assuming this is a browser source, you may need to change the dimensions of the browser source in the source settings to be wider.

cadcTV

Assuming this is a browser source, you may need to change the dimensions of the browser source in the source settings to be wider.

it is the chat box from Stream Labs, so technically yes, it is a browser source, but i'm not using it directly as a browser source, but as a widget from OBS itself (if that makes sense). and there doesn't seem to be an option to alter this from OBS or from Stream Labs Website.

1544120277717.png

however, you've given me an idea as to how i may be able to make it work.

I'll give it a try and I'll post my results

Last edited:

cadcTV

ok, I added the Stream Labs Chat box as a Browser Source, and it worked perfectly as intended. not sure why it does it differently when just adding the widget which is part of OBS, but oh well, it works now, so that's what counts, lol

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Glad you got it sorted. FYI, these forums are for OBS Studio support, not support for Streamlabs' fork of OBS.

carlmmii

The difference is everything. Streamlabs OBS is not maintained by the OBS project group -- it is a fork that was lifted from a previous version of OBS which is now specifically developed by Streamlabs. Any issues with that version should be brought up to Streamlabs support.

OBS Studio has continued on its own development path, as it had been before, independent of any other company's work for their own projects.

Both versions will have similar capabilities, but whatever Streamlabs has done for their development is not going to be supported here.

carlmmii

No hostility, just stating facts. It's a tricky business when it comes to this type of distinction, because it comes down to both brand integrity as well as liability.