How to get the best out of my laptop?

Bobnogs

Ok so I will post the log from my most recent stream in the stream I had constant pixelation and occasional lag spikes, I play minecraft and the game itself is fine in quality and frames. I am fine streaming at 48 frames given I play minecraft but I would really love to raise the quality and pixelation. Any ideas or suggestions welcome! I know I do play on a laptop buts its pretty good and im using a external graphics card with wired connection.

Attachments

• 2021-02-01 16-07-29.txt
    382.4 KB · Views: 8

FerretBomb

Why are you streaming at 48fps? That's just going to cause framerate pulldown judder for anyone not on a 144hz monitor. ...and even for those who are, as you're on a 60hz monitor. Stream at 30 or 60fps to maintain even frame pacing.

You're using a weird resolution downscale on 3500kbps for some reason. It isn't power-of-two compliant so will cause issues with the Twitch player, and is below the 0.1bpp quality mark so will be likely to pixelate.

Best advice, either stream native 1080p30 at 3500kbps, or if you need higher for some reason (and you really do not for Minecraft) swap to 720p60.
No idea what guide you followed to get those settings, but they did not know what the heck they were talking about.

Bobnogs

Yeah thank you so much for the help i Really appreciatie it, you Really know what your talking about! So just checking your saying stream at 30fps output resolution 1920x1080 and at video bitrate of 3500? Is this the same for recording as well?

FerretBomb

Yeah thank you so much for the help i Really appreciatie it, you Really know what your talking about! So just checking your saying stream at 30fps output resolution 1920x1080 and at video bitrate of 3500? Is this the same for recording as well?
Happy to lend a hand, man. :)

Recording "takes the gloves off" so to speak. When streaming, your big consideration is the upload bandwidth bottleneck. When writing to a local disk, that problem isn't present.
Unfortunately you can't stream and record at different framerates (though it's a requested feature). Image quality can be VASTLY improved though.

When recording, you should always use CQP or CRF depending on which your encoder offers... they do the same thing. Image-quality based encoding targets, instead of targeting a specific bitrate. They'll use as much or as little bitrate as is needed to maintain a given image quality level. No waste on simple scenes, no choke on extra-complex ones. Nice.
The CQ value is essentially how far the encoder is allowed to deviate from perfect, uncompressed(, HUGE file size) video. 22 is a good one for general use. Minor visual artifacting, but only if you look for it. 16 is essentially visually lossless. 12 should only be used if you intend to edit the video and re-encode it later, to minimize reencode artifacts. Below 12 shouldn't be used unless you have a VERY good reason, as the files get GIGANTIC very fast, with little benefit outside of some very specific situations that you'll know about if you actually need it.

Bobnogs

Wow thanks for the help, Im sorry I am a bit confused still so what should I stream in again like video ouput video bitrate and frames for good quality minecraft given I use a few browser sources, and what do you mean on the recording when you are talking about 12, 16 and 22, thanks for the help again