How do I record a video in OBS Studio without any audio track?

Pranton

Is there a way to record a screen without any audio track? So that, when I import a file into some video editing software, like Adobe Premiere Pro, it imports without any audio at all – just a video track.

Hi There! My name is James and hopefully I can help.

I know that you can mute the audio within the mixer, but I am unsure if you can record only the video. If you had 0 audio sources in your source window, then no audio will be recorded - however, there still may be an empty audio track when you put the recorded file in your editing software. However, I know in Adobe Premiere Pro you can drag just the video clip onto the timeline (I.E you wouldn't have to delete the audio from the timeline every time).

Here's a quick video I found on how to do that in Adobe Premiere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5BJsx2vSY

However, if having the audio track truly is a problem for whatever project you might be doing - you may be able to disable it in "Audio Settings" and/or in the "Output Settings." Or another alternative is to run your recorded file through Adobe's Media Encoder (which should be covered by your Premiere license). From there you can select a video format before you were to put it into Premiere.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. If I find a solution to completely negate the audio directly within OBS I will post it below in this thread.

Happy recording!

FerretBomb

Is there a way to record a screen without any audio track? So that, when I import a file into some video editing software, like Adobe Premiere Pro, it imports without any audio at all – just a video track.
Go into Settings, Output, Advanced mode, Recording tab, and deselect all of the audio track checkboxes.

Pranton

Hi There! My name is James and hopefully I can help.

I know that you can mute the audio within the mixer, but I am unsure if you can record only the video. If you had 0 audio sources in your source window, then no audio will be recorded - however, there still may be an empty audio track when you put the recorded file in your editing software. However, I know in Adobe Premiere Pro you can drag just the video clip onto the timeline (I.E you wouldn't have to delete the audio from the timeline every time).

Here's a quick video I found on how to do that in Adobe Premiere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5BJsx2vSY

However, if having the audio track truly is a problem for whatever project you might be doing - you may be able to disable it in "Audio Settings" and/or in the "Output Settings." Or another alternative is to run your recorded file through Adobe's Media Encoder (which should be covered by your Premiere license). From there you can select a video format before you were to put it into Premiere.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. If I find a solution to completely negate the audio directly within OBS I will post it below in this thread.

Happy recording!
Thank you.

sdbbs

Hi all,

you may be able to disable it in "Audio Settings" and/or in the "Output Settings."

No, that does not work - I have just set all devices to disabled:

1668058947913.png

... and even with the next step, I still get audio in the output file.

Go into Settings, Output, Advanced mode, Recording tab, and deselect all of the audio track checkboxes.
This does not work either - and it is even indicated in red, if I deselect all audio checkboxes, that "You must select at least one track":

1668059114922.png

Anyways, with these settings, I tried capturing video of my desktop, and this is how the video is reported:

Code:
$ MediaInfo.exe /c/Users/user/Videos/2022-11-10_06-34-12.mp4
General
Complete name                            : C:/Users/user/Videos/2022-11-10_06-34-12.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 1.28 MiB
Duration                                 : 4 s 434 ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 2 419 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf59.16.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 4 s 434 ms
Source duration                          : 4 s 367 ms
Bit rate                                 : 2 312 kb/s
Nominal bit rate                         : 2 500 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 2 500 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.037
Stream size                              : 1.22 MiB (96%)
Source stream size                       : 1.27 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 164 r3095 baee400
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=2500 / vbv_bufsize=2500 / nal_hrd=none / filler=1 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
mdhd_Duration                            : 4433
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Duration                                 : 4 s 310 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 2 250 b/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 160 kb/s / 160 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.18 KiB (0%)
Title                                    : Track1
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

So, yeah - there is a whole lotta silence unnecessarily embedded as stereo audio tracks in that .mp4 video file ... Which is why it would be nice not to have it captured at all to begin with.