High memory usage even when doing "nothing"

LucaNonato

Since 16/06/2022, most likely due to a Windows 10 update, OBS started eating up 1 MB of RAM every 5-10 seconds. This occurs even when i simply open it, with no active streaming nor recording.

Tried searching issues on GitHub but found nothing.

The logs analyzer reports nothing wrong: https://obsproject.com/logs/8ylG5G4HiYcqpyIF

What else can i check? PC is running Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x64 (Up-to-date at 05/07/2022) with:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
- 8,00 GB RAM
- SSD Kingston SKC600256G
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 with driver 473.47

To prevent a system-wide crash, or being unable to remotely connect this PC, i force quit the process and then reopen it every few hours but this is very annoying.

Next time i relaunch it i'll try using verbose mode.

If you need more data/details, just ask.

Cheers!
Luca

Tubaaja

I have this extact same problem!

If I leave obs running it causes a some short of memory leack and ends up eating all of (edit: 32gb) my ram.
This effect is highly stronger when I record minecraft via game capture.

I tried to look into it but it seems that something like this already happened to ppl around 2013
I have no idea if this is anyway related but the issue seems to be highly similiar. I cannot leave obs running by it self and must close it every 1hr or so.

Here is the old report if it has any use:

LucaNonato

Updated to 28.0.1 (almost?) as soon as it was available, but no luck: at first it looked like it was fixed, having the memory usage grow a little, then flipping back to a lower value, but in the end it still keep growing and growing.

Cheers!

pandaXguy

I have the same issue but only when running 2 instances of OBS, I am on WIndows 11 latest build, and OBS 28.1.1 the problem has gotten worse with the last 2 updates, atleast it seems that way.